Full Version: untested 2.0 djet system sans the distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
Whats a fair price if looking to buy?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Nov 8 2021, 12:53 PM) *

Great question. Complicated answer.

1. Is the system truly complete, plug n play or what is it missing?

2. If it truly is complete and every component is verified fully functional (easy to verify), then its value as a system is the sum of the value of its parts, or probably less, because human nature expects a discount for a complete system over the sum of the values of its individual parts. Best return for you is to part it out on the value of the verified good parts. Easiest for you is to sell it unverified and accept pennies on the dollar and let the buyer take the risk. Most will understand that the system is in a box and not on a 914 for a reason.

3. If any part is not functional, then deduct that from the max value of the system if it were good, or acquire the missing piece(s) and sell it as a verified complete system.

4. Just because you have a given part of the system, if that one part does not work it may have no or minimal value and should be tossed out if it cannot be restored or repaired. Thats the risk the buyer must take and the unknown will result in a low value for the system overall.

5. We see a few so called complete systems from time to time. They rarely are complete and most of them have one or more parts that are not functional. They tend to go for $250-$500. with all the risk going to the buyer.

6. I added up the value of a complete stock D-Jet/L-Jet FI system a few years ago, based on the values of its individual parts, and came up with something like $2500-3000. I honestly don't remember the exact value I derived, but you can do the math in todays dollars. Getting someone to pay that amount is another matter. Most will weigh that cost as compared to carbs, or aftermarket FI, or even an engine swap if they dread fixing the stock FI so much. Assuming their engine is stock, the easiest and least costly approach for that buyer is to just repair/maintain the factory system they already have. But that requires knowledge of their system and its components which often leads down another rabbit hole.

7. A word of advice. When you go to sell it, unless it truly is 'complete', everything required and functional, then don't describe it as complete. This is a tough crowd and we all know what complete means.

PS good luck finding a good, decent condition, functional original harness, most of them are long since worn out and need replacement.
emerygt350
What year? Can you get a distributor? A non functional car is much cheaper than a functional car. Test the compression. Be prepared to go micro squirt or carb if you buy it and buy it with that in mind.

Truthfully, if the rust is under control and the car is sound, who cares about the fuel or ignition.
ericoneal
I have a car already. Looking to swap out carbs for FI
JamesM
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Nov 18 2021, 03:34 PM) *

Are you sure the motor is still stock?

But yeah pretty much what Jeff said, depending on where you are and who you know and how nice(and complete the system is, I would say expect 500-2000

Been a while since I have seen anyone selling a full take off system to say there is really a firm market price as more people tend to be in your boat these days and putting them back on.

Breaking down the parts though, referbed injectors alone are selling for 400+ a set, MPSs are usually a few hundred bucks for good ones.

and I have given up on finding good 2.0 distributors and trigger points anymore so plan on buying a d-jet 123dizzy as well.
emerygt350
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Nov 18 2021, 05:34 PM) *

Ahhh! I thought it was the whole car but with a half baked djet.

Yeah, what he said. I just gave up on my original distributor and got a 123. No performance increase yet (Dyno tomorrow) and I rebuilt the mps with Chris Foley's kit (tangerineracing).

If it were any other car I would let you have my old distributor but these Porsche people and their originality fixation....
TJB/914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 8 2021, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(ericoneal @ Nov 8 2021, 12:53 PM) *

Great question. Complicated answer.

1. Is the system truly complete, plug n play or what is it missing?

2. If it truly is complete and every component is verified fully functional (easy to verify), then its value as a system is the sum of the value of its parts, or probably less, because human nature expects a discount for a complete system over the sum of the values of its individual parts. Best return for you is to part it out on the value of the verified good parts. Easiest for you is to sell it unverified and accept pennies on the dollar and let the buyer take the risk. Most will understand that the system is in a box and not on a 914 for a reason.

3. If any part is not functional, then deduct that from the max value of the system if it were good, or acquire the missing piece(s) and sell it as a verified complete system.

4. Just because you have a given part of the system, if that one part does not work it may have no or minimal value and should be tossed out if it cannot be restored or repaired. Thats the risk the buyer must take and the unknown will result in a low value for the system overall.

5. We see a few so called complete systems from time to time. They rarely are complete and most of them have one or more parts that are not functional. They tend to go for $250-$500. with all the risk going to the buyer.

6. I added up the value of a complete stock D-Jet/L-Jet FI system a few years ago, based on the values of its individual parts, and came up with something like $2500-3000. I honestly don't remember the exact value I derived, but you can do the math in todays dollars. Getting someone to pay that amount is another matter. Most will weigh that cost as compared to carbs, or aftermarket FI, or even an engine swap if they dread fixing the stock FI so much. Assuming their engine is stock, the easiest and least costly approach for that buyer is to just repair/maintain the factory system they already have. But that requires knowledge of their system and its components which often leads down another rabbit hole.

7. A word of advice. When you go to sell it, unless it truly is 'complete', everything required and functional, then don't describe it as complete. This is a tough crowd and we all know what complete means.

PS good luck finding a good, decent condition, functional original harness, most of them are long since worn out and need replacement.

Jeff,
Great summary pray.gif
I totally agree with your $2,500++ to $3,000++ estimate for a complete working 2.0 F.I. system.
I recently listed a few reasonably priced F.I items and not one hit. I'll just keep the stuff and sell off everything next year when I put my 914 up for sale. Good 914 cars & parts will become 356 prices in a few more years.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.