Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PCH
The engine lid on my 1971 doesn't seem to fit correctly. See the picture below.

Note the lid seems to be too low in front by the rear window. The rubber seal is 914Rubber. I don't see a way to close the gap other than bending or rewelding the brackets. It looks like the brackets came like that from the factory. What am I missing?

Where there different lids on different model years? Anyone have a trick/idea on how to close the gap.?

Thanks,
Peter
914sgofast2
I had a similar problem. The hinge part had broken loose from the firewall at some point in the past and the repair done by the previous owner had resulted in it being re-welded in the wrong place. No amount of fiddling with the very limited adjustment of the hinges would fix it.
nditiz1
You could use washers to possibly lift it up.
jrmdir
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Nov 8 2021, 06:23 PM) *

Doesn't work that way. But adding washers on the other side would make it sit lower. But probably not a good solution.
nditiz1
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Nov 8 2021, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Nov 8 2021, 06:23 PM) *

Doesn't work that way. But adding washers on the other side would make it sit lower. But probably not a good solution.

Oh duh!

I can't believe I was thinking it sat on top of the mount.
930cabman
Best of luck with the adjustment, also is she a Palma Green example?
rgalla9146
Seems odd that the shut line on the drivers side looks nice and uniform...... or is that the angle of the picture ?
Willow Green ?
Nardi wheel ?
Beautiful color combination.
rhodyguy
Failing to catch the lid while opening reefs on the brackets when the lid flys up. Check for cracks or rewelds. I slotted the the holes on the lid arms all the way through with my grinder. Just start the bolts and the arms slide in to place. Makes the install ordeal a simple one person job. No back and forth dance. The arm modification is only seen when the lid is removed.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 9 2021, 09:15 AM) *

Failing to catch the lid while opening reefs on the brackets when the lid flys up. Check for cracks or rewelds. I slotted the the holes on the lid arms all the way through with my grinder. Just start the bolts and the arms slide in to place. Makes the install ordeal a simple one person job. No back and forth dance. The arm modification is only seen when the lid is removed.

agree.gif did the same on my orange stocker.
forgot to do it on my modified car.....DOH !
PCH
Thanks to all for the advice. I took a really close look at the hinges and didn't see any signs of a repair. But I have real trouble believing some came like that from the factory.
rjames
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 9 2021, 04:36 AM) *

Seems odd that the shut line on the drivers side looks nice and uniform...... or is that the angle of the picture ?

Has this been verified? It looks aligned correctly in the photo, but could just be the angle.

Mine has the original rubber strip and it's shaped such that it drops down over the ledge to meet the top of the engine lid. Yours looks flatter and doesn't appear to drop over as much as mine, but it's hard to tell from the one photo. If the rubber strip is flat then I don't think it's shaped correctly.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 19 2021, 04:54 PM) *

Has this been verified? It looks aligned correctly in the photo, but could just be the angle.

Mine has the original rubber strip and it's shaped such that it drops down over the ledge to meet the top of the engine lid. Yours looks flatter and doesn't appear to drop over as much as mine, but it's hard to tell from the one photo. If the rubber strip is flat then I don't think it's shaped correctly.

Could you show a picture of that. Wonder if I have my old seal in a box somewhere.

windforfun
Your lid position looks very similar to mine. Is the lid low on the passenger side? Mine just touches the rubber seal & is about 1/8" below the side horizontal panels at the window on both sides. Is the seal too narrow?
rjames
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Nov 19 2021, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 19 2021, 04:54 PM) *

Could you show a picture of that. Wonder if I have my old seal in a box somewhere.

Here ya go. You can see that it's not a flat piece and is made such that it drops down a bit from the shelf to meet the top of the engine lid.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.