Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedometer trip counter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb081
just curious. I was looking at my gauges, and I don't see a re-set button for the trip meter on the speedo. I looked at the pictures in George Hussy's book on restoration of 914's. I did not see any speedos with a re-set button. what good is a trip meter if you cannot re-set it for a trip? If I remember correctly, I believe my 76 had a re-set knob. it was located under the dash. away from the gauge itself. could be mistaken, its been at least eight to ten years since I owned that car. any thoughts?
StarBear
Mine (74 1.8L) had a turn knob on the bottom of the unit. Turn clockwise to reset to 0, one number cylinder at a time.
jkb081
I have the gauges with the silver circle/dot in the center. there is no knob or anything else that could be a re-set feature. I will look again. I could have over looked it. thanks
Superhawk996
There is a reset cable with a twist knob under the dash as previously noted.

If its not under the dash -- it may be floating up in dash under the gauges or worse yet missing completely.
jkb081
I found it! I remembered correctly. there is a ribbed knob underneath the dash. about 1/2" tall by 3/8" diameter. turn it clockwise to reset trip meter to zero. odd place for a reset button. lol! I wish I knew how to post pictures to this thread so others like myself could have a better understanding of how things work/go together.
FlacaProductions
DO NOT TURN THIS KNOB WHILE THE CAR IS MOVING.
EVER.
it'll strip a gear which will require the opening of the gauge.
not that big of a deal but it's a pain.
fixer34
If I had seen your post a little earlier... There was another thread on here about the same thing a while back. The piece of tape is next to the trip reset knob.

Click to view attachment
Robarabian
As an aside.. I just 3d printed a black plastic one that I drilled /tapped a set screw in since my cable was there but the knob is gone, and nobody makes them. I printed it a little longer so you can get to it easier.. if anyone needs one... At least you have a resource.
Van B
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Nov 8 2021, 09:41 PM) *

As an aside.. I just 3d printed a black plastic one that I drilled /tapped a set screw in since my cable was there but the knob is gone, and nobody makes them. I printed it a little longer so you can get to it easier.. if anyone needs one... At least you have a resource.

Oh I’ll take one of those pretty please!
GeorgeKopf
@Robarabian
Wow. That is the best use of a 3D printer. I too am missing the trip-o-meter reset knob. Can I get on the list for one?

Thanks.

George
partwerks
Are there two styles of knobs.
Steel one, and a plastic one?
Robarabian
No they are all metal. But you cant buy just the knob.. hence I made one..

QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 8 2021, 08:21 PM) *

Are there two styles of knobs.
Steel one, and a plastic one?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.