Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tailshifter rod repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Mels
Finding two blown out shift rod bushings explains a lot of the free play in the shifter but a closer look at the tail end of the shift rod shows considerable wear on the metal "ball" that engages with the transaxle selector rod. It's no longer round but worn a fair amount on one side. Anyone ever try welding up the low spot and reshaping it? This is a early tail shifter model. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jsaum
Yes it’s easy to do. I did mine with my wire feed welder and had good results. Used a die grinder and dremel tool to round it out.
mark04usa
There is also wear at the edges at the end where the rod contacts the cage on the trans shift rod. That cage also will wear. Building up these wear points and carefully reshaping can really help our old tailshifters.
914Mels
QUOTE(jsaum @ Nov 8 2021, 06:10 PM) *

Yes it’s easy to do. I did mine with my wire feed welder and had good results. Used a die grinder and dremel tool to round it out.

Oh cool, time to drag the mig welder from its corner. welder.gif
914Mels
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Nov 8 2021, 06:23 PM) *

There is also wear at the edges at the end where the rod contacts the cage on the trans shift rod. That cage also will wear. Building up these wear points and carefully reshaping can really help our old tailshifters.

I'll have to give it a look, if I remember correctly, there is a roll pin holding the rod to the internals once you remove the rectangular cover.
rhodyguy
A triple rolled pin. You'll need a new gasket for the cover/access plate too. I would buy 2 of each.
IronHillRestorations
I've done that a few times. I weld it up larger and then grind it so it'll barely fit.
914Mels
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 9 2021, 05:55 AM) *

I've done that a few times. I weld it up larger and then grind it so it'll barely fit.

Thanks all!
930cabman
My left hip joint had the same condition, doc opened things up and inserted a new titanium joint. Good as new.
ChrisFoley
I used brass shim stock once, carefully shaped to fit between the ball and the cage, to eliminate free play.
Robarabian
If you do undertake this, please photo or video the process. I'd like to really see how you do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.