Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Antenna, Odometer , Cushion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stef914
Hi there,

I've got some newbie / rookie questions for you all smile.gif

1- I have the antenna key but I can't figure out how to lift it... I can twist it around but it still remains down ...ideas ?

2- my odometer & trippometer are not working. Was gonna pull the gauge out myself and send for repair, but before I do that is it easy to disconnect all the cable on the back without any tools ? ( if even doable to taking it apart this way )

3- I was gonna replace the cushion seat but upon lifting it I notice a cable attached to it, ideas ?

thanks

S.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Stef914 @ Nov 8 2021, 11:05 PM) *

Hi there,

1- I have the antenna key but I can't figure out how to lift it... I can twist it around but it still remains down ...ideas ?

2- my odometer & trippometer are not working. Was gonna pull the gauge out myself and send for repair, but before I do that is it easy to disconnect all the cable on the back without any tools ? ( if even doable to taking it apart this way )

Just pull the gauge of the speedo meter from the gauge frame and you can just remove/unplug the wires by hand including the trip meter reset cable.

3- I was gonna replace the cushion seat but upon lifting it I notice a cable attached to it, ideas ?

Could be the wire for cushion heater

thanks

S.

barefoot
QUOTE(Stef914 @ Nov 9 2021, 01:05 AM) *

Hi there,

thanks

S.

The speedo cable should be easy & the odo re-set cable will pull out of the speedo, if you're flexible enough to crawl up under the dash. If memory serves me i think you can dis-connect all this by pulling the speedo out toward the steering wheel.

The wire going into the seat cushion is part of the dreaded seat belt interlock where you had to have the seatbelt connected if there was weight in the seat to start the engine. If you've dis-connected this feature, just cut that cable.
eric9144
QUOTE(Stef914 @ Nov 8 2021, 11:05 PM) *

Hi there,

thanks

S.

The antenna key doesn't twist, you tilt it to create friction and pull up like a 'catch'

Sorry to hear the odometer/trip stopped that's odd--one thing to note, never ever set the trip odometer while moving, that's how they break---try North Hollywood Speedometer and they should be able to get you fixed up easily
https://www.nhspeedometer.com/

The 'cord' that hangs down from the cushion is/was the old starter interupt thing, a total PITA, leave them disconnected, I think it detected that you were in fact sitting in the seats to be able to crank the engine or something like that a crude "saftey" feature that everyone typically disconnects.
bbrock
OP doesn't say what model year. I'm not sure when the interlock system was added by I'm guessing 75? The 73 MY has a seat occupancy sensor to active the seat belt light and buzzer only - no interlock.
Dave_Darling
Yes, many years the sensor just runs the light and/or buzzer. You can follow the wire to the other end and unplug it; the wire will feed through its hole in the seat frame as you remove the cushion.

The speedo cable has a round nut that holds it onto the back of the speedo. Should just be hand-tight. The light bulbs can be unplugged or just slid out of the back. Take pics so you know what lights go where. The trip reset cable can be pulled out of the back of the speedo; you may need to squeeze the plastic where the cable goes through the speedo case. Or failing that, you can remove the reset knob from the underside of the dash, and unscrew the nut that keeps the end of the reset cable attached to the dash frame.

--DD
914sgofast2
If the odometer/trip miles are broken but the speedometer needle functions to show speed, then either (1) a plastic gear has come loose from its axle inside the speedometer , or (2) the axle that contains the odometer plastic gears has worn an oval shaped hole in the speedometer housing and the gears won’t mesh anymore with the driven gear. I have found option (2) above to be the problem with three different used speedometers I tried before I found a good one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.