Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Searching for a 914 by VIN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Motorrific
I have found the VIN of my dads 1971 914 4 cylinder that was sold out of Hunterdon County NJ in the summer of 1995.

It's not on Carfax. Porsche club of America would not help me. Porsche dealerships told me they couldn't help me - but they did confirm this was a VIN to a 914.

My buddies in law enforcement tell me all they'd be able to figure out is when it was last registered, and they couldn't tell me the answer or they'd risk their jobs. The DMV won't release any information to me either.

Where can I go with this VIN ? How do I find the car?
GregAmy
Pre-1981 VINs are hard to search, they really don't appear in databases much.

With as many of these that have died hard deaths, it may not actually exists any more; can your law enforcement buddies tell you if it actually still exists, yes/no?

It's not in our db, so short of an insurance company or law enforcement search, you may be at an impasse...

Is it within our culture here to add a VIN to a database, with a note about the known history and asking if anyone is aware of it? For example, if he puts it in there and says he's looking for it, and someone finds the VIN in a junkyard or whatever, they could contact him? We do that with dead cars we find all over the place, even though we don't own them.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94572

Motorrific
Law enforcement told me the only thing their system would tell them is the last time it was registered - so their system might show them who bought it and registered it in 1995. After that - if it was not registered to someone else, they wouldn't have anything further. Now obviously being able to track down the guy who bought it in 1995 would be a step - even if he didn't still have it he might know where it is now.

But they tell me if they gave me that info and I used it to find someone, they could lose their job.
JeffBowlsby
The only thing I can add, is that the 471 VIN indicated is not a 1974 model, it is a 1971 model year 914.
Motorrific
my bad ! I mistyped, I'll try and edit my original
Dave_Darling
I checked in "Members VIN number" under "914 info" in the upper-right corner of every page in this forum. No results returned for your VIN. That means that nobody has noted this VIN and entered it as a car that they own (or in some cases, have seen in the wild).

--DD
jim_hoyland
If you enter the VIN into the database now along with your history, someone in the future may come across it and contact you.
If you have a picture of the car you can add it too; first paste the pic into your original post in the garage (above). Then copy the pics URL and paste it to the database picture link….. smile.gif
Motorrific
Unfortunately, I don't have a picture at this time. I will try to add it to the database to be safe!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
your car is currently registered in the united states, and the info of which state is available. THEN you get a title clerk from that state to research the records and provide you with the current owner and his address
Motorrific
Where can I go to find out if it's currently registered though? The only people who seem to be able to look that up are DMV / Police and they won't give the info to me because it's private information.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
VIN #: 4712913642 Date: 11/10/2021 3:11:32 PM
SUMMARY
A title brand is an official record of damage or other information about a vehicle that could affect its value or the ability to operate it safely. For example, a “rebuilt” title brand means the vehicle has suffered enough damage to be declared a total loss by an insurance company and then was rebuilt. A title brand remains on record for the life of the vehicle. This section gives you a summary view of the total number of "Brands" associated with this VIN since its first record of sale. If this section shows any hits, you can find the details including the branding type record, who entered the record, when it was entered and more in the sections below. [1]
Export Only:
Total Loss: Junk/Salvage: Disclosed Damage: Bond:
Flood:
CARS/Cash for Clunkers: Gray Market: Manufacturer Brand: New/Re-Issued VIN:
No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported
New/Re-Issued VIN:
Odometer: Rebuilt/Repaired/Reconstructed: Dismantled:
Rental/Taxi/Police: Agricultural/Logging Vehicle: Title Copy:
Antique/Classic: Undisclosed Lien:
TITLE HISTORY
No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported No Brand Reported
This section shows you each State where the vehicle has been titled, when it was titled, the odometer reading on the date of title, etc. There is good information here to protect you from fraud. Keep an eye out for the odometer readings. If the current odometer reading is less than it was in one of these title records, you might suspect a fraud tactic called Odometer Rollback. You should also make sure the vehicle make and its model year match the "VEHICLE INFORMATION SECTION" above. If you find any discrepancies, take this report to your nearest department of motor vehicles for a detailed analysis by an expert. [1]
09/01/2009 NEW JERSEY TITLE - CURRENT 4712913642 150000 MILES HOW TO REQUEST A STATE VEHICLE RECORD
NEW JERSEY TITLE - CURRENT
Businesses may access applications & obtain information through the NJMVC records website: http://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/Records/index.htm Individuals may submit a written request for a variety of records: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/
dr914@autoatlanta.com
this is what I can get as a dealer for any 914 that is currently registered
Motorrific
Holy heck! I had no idea this was a thing that people could do! So as of 2009, it was registered in NJ ! And I am in PA, not far off. Now I just need to find a title company to research it. Thank you so much!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you are welcome, can get this info for anyone just like the demo costs ten bucks through my dealer license. They do not charge unless they have the info available
Motorrific
You're my hero! I'm off to find an NJ Title Clerk. I'll be sure to update the forum if I'm able to locate the vehicle.
FlacaProductions
Good for you, George - nicely done.
jagalyn
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 10 2021, 06:33 PM) *

Agreed.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Nov 10 2021, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 10 2021, 06:33 PM) *

Agreed.

agree.gif As well. Love this community!! 914 peeps are the best!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.