Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somebody hit my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snakemain
Parked at the DMV in Panama City Beach. I'm inside getting the registration paperwork done, and a DMV employee asks who owns the silver convertible. They're like somebody just ran into it in the parking lot. Old guy in an F-150 had hit the front fender and door while attempting to pull into the adjacent parking space. I wasn't even close to the line, so he had to go over a foot into my space to hit me. Already filed a claim online, so just waiting for them to get back to me.
barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Sorry. Wonder if they renewed his drivers license.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Shivers @ Nov 16 2021, 02:24 PM) *

Sorry. Wonder if they renewed his drivers license.

One of the times I was hit in my 914, I was sitting still at a stop sign. An elderly gentleman in a 3/4 ton Ford Pickup decided halfway through his right hand turn he wanted to go straight. Straight was right into the left side of my 914.

I had to replace the left fender, the door and the A pillar. He lost his license.

Clay
snakemain
This guy decided he was too embarrassed, so he just left after I got his info. Everybody in the place had seen it happen, so I'd be embarrassed, too.
AZBanks
Sorry to hear about your car. Mine got hit Sunday night but mine is no where near as nice as yours.
JamesM
Never understood how people hit parked cars.

they are not moving
jagalyn
Bummer... Nice looking car otherwise. Take it to the best... Don't settle.
snakemain
QUOTE(JamesM @ Nov 16 2021, 02:54 PM) *

Never understood how people hit parked cars.

they are not moving

If I ever get to that point, I will voluntarily quit driving. These days most new vehicles even have cameras and parking sensors front and back!

And like I said, I wasn't even close to the line, so he had plenty space.

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Spaces in parking lots are usually not laid out for the width of today's cars/trucks. Our cars are so small to begin with that some drivers in trucks and SUVs barely see the car adjacent to where they are parking, unless its another behemoth. I don't pull all the way into a space, making sure that I can be easily seen by that guy pulling in next to me.

I'm not being critical, but note how deep into the space the 914 sits.
Root_Werks
Wow, just wow. Guy didn't leave a note or anything. Hope it all works out.
snakemain
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 16 2021, 03:29 PM) *

Oh, I went out and got him.
lesorubcheek
Dang that sux. That looks like the tax collector's office on Hutchison down from Wally World. If so, that's where we go for tags and property tax. Those are some tight ass parking spots, but no excuse to ding your car. At least he was there so hopefully he'll handle expenses to repair it at least. Oh, and btw, nice car.

Dan
Dion
Damn, nice car. Yes it can be repaired. Just sux regarding the inconvenience of it all.
Hope he has proper insurance. Good luck.
mepstein
QUOTE(snakemain @ Nov 16 2021, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 16 2021, 03:29 PM) *

Oh, I went out and got him.

ar15.gif
snakemain
QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Nov 16 2021, 04:20 PM) *

Dang that sux. That looks like the tax collector's office on Hutchison down from Wally World. If so, that's where we go for tags and property tax. Those are some tight ass parking spots, but no excuse to ding your car. At least he was there so hopefully he'll handle expenses to repair it at least. Oh, and btw, nice car.

Dan

Yep. That's where I was. Zero wait and the 2 people I've dealt with have been super friendly (which is strange).

Already talked to insurance, and they're sending out an adjuster in the next couple days. We just moved here, so any ideas on a good shop to take her? I'm willing to drive a bit if needed to find someone who's good with older cars.
sixaddict
Live here and am 914 guy.
Will pm you as do have one contact info for you.
Cool car.

QUOTE(snakemain @ Nov 16 2021, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Nov 16 2021, 04:20 PM) *

Dan

Yep. That's where I was. Zero wait and the 2 people I've dealt with have been super friendly (which is strange).

Already talked to insurance, and they're sending out an adjuster in the next couple days. We just moved here, so any ideas on a good shop to take her? I'm willing to drive a bit if needed to find someone who's good with older cars.

lesorubcheek
QUOTE(snakemain @ Nov 16 2021, 05:23 PM) *

Well first, welcome to Panama City Beach! The only personal experience we've had with a local body is a place now called Gerber collision and glass on Front Beach. Under no circumstances should you take your car to this incompetent monkey fisted, sorry excuse for a body shop. Wife's Ponitac Vibe was T-boned about 10 years ago. I won't bore you with the details, but, just no, don't use them.

About the best advice I have is to get up with Smith Motorworks on Cauley Ave. He was, and is, pretty much the only sports car related establishment in the area. He moved to this side of the bridge after hurricane Michael. Always had nice Porsches, Ferraris and other cars sitting out front. Hopefully he can at least offer you some advice on where to take it for a proper repair.

Dan
snakemain

Well first, welcome to Panama City Beach! The only personal experience we've had with a local body is a place now called Gerber collision and glass on Front Beach. Under no circumstances should you take your car to this incompetent monkey fisted, sorry excuse for a body shop. Wife's Ponitac Vibe was T-boned about 10 years ago. I won't bore you with the details, but, just no, don't use them.

About the best advice I have is to get up with Smith Motorworks on Cauley Ave. He was, and is, pretty much the only sports car related establishment in the area. He moved to this side of the bridge after hurricane Michael. Always had nice Porsches, Ferraris and other cars sitting out front. Hopefully he can at least offer you some advice on where to take it for a proper repair.

Dan

Thanks! Appreciate the info. Terry (sixaddict) just recommended the same place to start.
maf914
Wow, sorry about the accident. Very nice car. Hope the repair process goes well.

Similar thing happened to me about 20 years ago. I park at a restaurant next to an old ratty blue Nissan 280Z. Come out after our meal and find the right rear fender scraped and creased and blue paint left on my white paint. Of course the 280Z was gone. I was a bit upset, but I was driving my 1992 Nissan Hardbody pickup. Had I been driving a beautiful silver flared 914 I would have lost it.

Based on your second photo, I wonder if the pickup truck guy even saw your 914 as he backed out and swung the wheel around?
snakemain
And you helpful local PCB guys do realize, I hope, that since you're introducing yourselves we're gonna have to have a BBQ. I have a smoker and am not afraid to use it! And if we wait long enough, I may have a batch of homebrew beer ready.
snakemain
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 16 2021, 06:01 PM) *

Wow, sorry about the accident. Very nice car. Hope the repair process goes well.

Similar thing happened to me about 20 years ago. I park at a restaurant next to an old ratty blue Nissan 280Z. Come out after our meal and find the right rear fender scraped and creased and blue paint left on my white paint. Of course the 280Z was gone. I was a bit upset, but I was driving my 1992 Nissan Hardbody pickup. Had I been driving a beautiful silver flared 914 I would have lost it.

Based on your second photo, I wonder if the pickup truck guy even saw your 914 as he backed out and swung the wheel around?

He hit me as he was pulling in. He had the decency to pull in all the way and park so I could get his info. When I parked, the parking lot was almost empty and I had 2-3 empty spaces on either side of me.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(snakemain @ Nov 16 2021, 05:59 PM) *

Thanks! Appreciate the info. Terry (sixaddict) just recommended the same place to start.

Yes, Terry actually told me about Smith's moving to their new location. I happened to have contacted him not long ago when I saw he was in Panama City Beach. It's like everybody with a 914 is moving down here (which is awesome)!
fixer34
QUOTE(snakemain @ Nov 16 2021, 07:04 PM) *

And you helpful local PCB guys do realize, I hope, that since you're introducing yourselves we're gonna have to have a BBQ. I have a smoker and am not afraid to use it! And if we wait long enough, I may have a batch of homebrew beer ready.

Dang... I have a customer in Panama City that I do IT work for. Pretty much all remote, but sounds like I need to arrange a trip down there, just to check things out personally ya know.
Literati914
My old stomping grounds! I grew up in PCB, before moving to Dallas. Go back as much as possible…and hopefully one day soon when you get that smoker fired up beer.gif

You contacted his insurance correct? It sounded like you contacted yours, but you did say he waited…we got rear ended along time back and in our inexperience we called our sorry insurance company to report the uninsured motorist situation (which we were covered for) and we ended up with increased premium for “ high risk” - WTF .. that was the first ever incident!! So I hate dealing with insurances at all. Anyway, good luck and I hope the repairs are done quickly.

snakemain
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 16 2021, 07:33 PM) *

My old stomping grounds! I grew up in PCB, before moving to Dallas. Go back as much as possible…and hopefully one day soon when you get that smoker fired up beer.gif

You contacted his insurance correct? It sounded like you contacted yours, but you did say he waited…we got rear ended along time back and in our inexperience we called our sorry insurance company to report the uninsured motorist situation (which we were covered for) and we ended up with increased premium for “ high risk” - WTF .. that was the first ever incident!! So I hate dealing with insurances at all. Anyway, good luck and I hope the repairs are done quickly.

I did contact my insurance...but I looked up the process first, and that's what it said do. My guy said since it was no question that it was his fault and I passed along his insurance information, I wouldn't have to pay a dime and they'd just go after his insurance company for me.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(snakemain @ Nov 16 2021, 06:16 PM) *

I did contact my insurance...but I looked up the process first, and that's what it said do. My guy said since it was no question that it was his fault and I passed along his insurance information, I wouldn't have to pay a dime and they'd just go after his insurance company for me.

Be careful, insurance companies cut deals with each other. My last accident I got rear ended in my DD while stopped at a stoplight, her insurance paid for car repairs, mine paid my medical. Said if I sued her insurance for any settlement I had to pay off medical out of any award first… what a racket… sorry I won’t go any further with my rant…
snakemain
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 16 2021, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(snakemain @ Nov 16 2021, 06:16 PM) *

Be careful, insurance companies cut deals with each other. My last accident I got rear ended in my DD while stopped at a stoplight, her insurance paid for car repairs, mine paid my medical. Said if I sued her insurance for any settlement I had to pay off medical out of any award first… what a racket… sorry I won’t go any further with my rant…

Noted. Hopefully this is a cut and dried case since I wasn't even in the car at the time and there were no injuries. I'm sure my issue will be getting them to pay to get the whole thing fixed. Hopefully, I just have to get a quote or two and compare that to what the adjuster says and fight for any difference.
rgalla9146

Be absolutely sure you are satisfied with the job.
To match the metalic silver paint it may involve painting the whole passenger side of
the car.
Maybe off topic but.....many collector car policies do not cover daily use of the car
or use for common errands.
snakemain
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 17 2021, 06:44 AM) *

Be absolutely sure you are satisfied with the job.
To match the metalic silver paint it may involve painting the whole passenger side of
the car.
Maybe off topic but.....many collector car policies do not cover daily use of the car
or use for common errands.

True on all counts. This was a necessary trip though, as FL requires the car to be present for a VIN check. Otherwise, my policy seems pretty flexible as long as I’m not using it as my DD to go back and forth to work.
windforfun
Good luck with the repair. You have my sincere condolences.
brcacti
When ever I had a classic car I would always park in the far corner away from all cars to be sure it was never hit/door dinged.
brcacti
When ever I had a classic car I would always park in the far corner away from all cars to be sure it was never hit/door dinged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.