Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Value of my project car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goose2
I am considering selling my 914 project car and hoping for some opinions on it's value. 1973 signal orange. It had a 2.4L six conversion, professionally done by Dan Root when I bought it roughly 20 yrs ago. 15 yrs ago I bought a 3L engine to upgrade but never got to finish it. No rust, nice original paint. Have every possible part to finish building the 3L. Heads are done and lower end assembled. Have many new and upgraded parts ready to install...Wevo shifter, extra trans, Italian Webers and orig Fuel injection, many new interior parts. All parts for 5 lug conversion included as well as a set of Boxster wheels. Bigger master cylinder, 911 front end parts, nice headers, Webasto heater, new padded dash installed, 911 instruments, vintage Blaupunkt, rare alum (magnesium?) calipers, needle bearing front suspension kit, hydraulic timing chain tensioner kit, new reground 964 cams, nice spare windshield, new door panels, speaker pods, Momo wheel, space saver spare, all new parts to assemble engine with nikasil barrels, rings gaskets bearings timing chains (spent nearly 10k on engine stuff 2005 prices.) Set of perfect spare seats. Many additional boxes of 914 spare bits (I have owned 7 914's over the years...some of them parted out with the best bits saved). I could probably double this list if I dragged everything out and looked at it. I think I could sell off my parts stash for enough to buy a decent Boxster...hmm. As a matter of fact, I'd trade it all for a nice BoxsterS. Car has been garaged and covered for the last 15 years. I have an interested party, but I've been out of touch from the scene for so long I don't know what to ask.
Root_Werks
Darn you Randy, why couldn't this have popped up about 18 months ago?

biggrin.gif

I think this was a 914 I put a new battery tray in, removed the 4cyl mounts, padded dash with the ash tray delete, correct?

Would love to buy one of my old conversions back.

A partial thread on it:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=29557&st=0

I sort of remember this one, I did use a PM Quick Six bar. Removed the battery tray and deleted the relay panel as it wasn't needed.

I wish I had more pics or the actual build thread.
goose2
Dan...I got this one from Craig @ Camp 914 but it was built by you with the 2.4. I traded a beautiful MGB GT and a white 914 2.0 for it. Bought a 3.0 engine and decided to freshen it up but ended up starting a full rebuild on it. One thing led to another, I bought some property and built a house and a shop...life got complicated and busy and Ive never found the time to put it together. Too many projects unfinished. I decided I should maybe sell it and get a more comfy ready to drive "old-man's sports car" and enjoy the drive.
pencap914
Hell I'd do you one better than a Boxter S, I'd trade you my 1999 C4 for it!

(I'm sure my wife would appreciate another 70's toy in the stable...) happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
QUOTE(goose2 @ Nov 18 2021, 02:22 PM) *

Dan...I got this one from Craig @ Camp 914 but it was built by you with the 2.4. I traded a beautiful MGB GT and a white 914 2.0 for it. Bought a 3.0 engine and decided to freshen it up but ended up starting a full rebuild on it. One thing led to another, I bought some property and built a house and a shop...life got complicated and busy and Ive never found the time to put it together. Too many projects unfinished. I decided I should maybe sell it and get a more comfy ready to drive "old-man's sports car" and enjoy the drive.

Preaching to the quire buddy. Had to step away from cars (914's included) for about 9 years. We bought land, built a house etc.

Bought a very poorly converted 914-6 about 18 months ago.

Bad timing, would have bought this one in a heart beat.

What's it worth these days? Not certain, but if you have all the pieces to put together a nice 914-6 conversion and the paint/int are still decent....$25k?
windforfun
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 18 2021, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(goose2 @ Nov 18 2021, 02:22 PM) *

Preaching to the quire buddy. Had to step away from cars (914's included) for about 9 years. We bought land, built a house etc.

Bought a very poorly converted 914-6 about 18 months ago.

Bad timing, would have bought this one in a heart beat.

What's it worth these days? Not certain, but if you have all the pieces to put together a nice 914-6 conversion and the paint/int are still decent....$25k?

I'd shoot for at least $50K if the workmanship is clean without any booger jobs. You have to be patient & find the right buyer. I assume you don't need the money right away. How's the rust situation? Go for a Cayman!!!
pencap914
I think this would do well on BAT.
Justinp71
I see it as a kit version of this car that recently sold for $42k-
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-6-11/

My guess is this is in the $20k-$25k range. Probably a fair trade for that 1999 C4.
goose2
QUOTE(pencap914 @ Nov 18 2021, 02:57 PM) *

Hell I'd do you one better than a Boxter S, I'd trade you my 1999 C4 for it!

(I'm sure my wife would appreciate another 70's toy in the stable...) happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

If you are serious about this, let me know about your car.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Nov 18 2021, 04:26 PM) *

I see it as a kit version of this car that recently sold for $42k-
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-6-11/

My guess is this is in the $20k-$25k range. Probably a fair trade for that 1999 C4.

agree.gif

Completely done and driving with the 3.0, much more but with it needing "some assembly" I would think mid 20's.

It's been a lot of years, but remember it was a very solid 914.
Morph914
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you looking to trade just your parts stash for a Boxster S and then sell the the car separately? Seems like two transactions to take place here.
Regardless, it’s a nice car and if done well, I think you should start negotiations at the 50k range, you can always come down.

Cheers,
John
KELTY360
I’d pay 50k for that 3.0 finished in that car.
goose2
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Nov 20 2021, 05:14 PM) *

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you looking to trade just your parts stash for a Boxster S and then sell the the car separately? Seems like two transactions to take place here.
Regardless, it’s a nice car and if done well, I think you should start negotiations at the 50k range, you can always come down.

Cheers,
John

John, to clarify my intent: I have a nice 914 originally converted with a 2.4L six by Dan Root. After driving it for a year or two. I decided to upgrade it with a 3.0, so I sold the 2.4 and bought a 3L and all the stuff to upgrade suspension and chassis, brakes etc. I decided to "freshen up" the 3L motor and got carried away and started a full rebuild on it. I had just sold a house and was enjoying the notion of building the ultimate 3.0 driver. Spent a lot of $'s! As life often unfolds. things changed. I bought some property, built a house and shop, remodeled another house... and the 914 was stored away. That was 15 years ago and I just haven't found the time to finish the car. So, where I'm at now is...I'd like to sell the car and engine and the mountain of parts I've collected and buy something ready to drive. I believe everything is there to complete the build. A trade would be considered...I like Boxsters and 911's. Also considering a Honda S2000.
Morph914
Thank you for the clarification. I still think with all the parts listed you could be in the 40 to 50k range, I guess it depends on how quickly you want to sell. Good luck!

John
sixnotfour
beer.gif I have the euro 2.4..Haha..
KELTY360
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 21 2021, 06:41 PM) *

beer.gif I have the euro 2.4..Haha..

Hoarder poke.gif
goose2
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Nov 21 2021, 10:44 AM) *

Thank you for the clarification. I still think with all the parts listed you could be in the 40 to 50k range, I guess it depends on how quickly you want to sell. Good luck!

John

A prospective buyer came to have a look yesterday. He was impressed with the condition of the car and the huge collection of parts that I have amassed. Sadly, he has decided another project was not in the cards for him. He is a knowledgable Porchefile, PCA member, having owned 7 914's and currently working on his 356, a 911, and a 914. He estimated the value of the package at 35-45k...suggested I ask 50 or best offer. The majority of value being in the "drool-worthy" parts stash and the 3.0 engine. If anyone has an interest, I can see if I can put you in touch with him to help verify. Thank you all for you interest and comments.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.