Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is going on with Momo steering wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
What is going on with Momo steering wheels?
I first bought a new Momo Tuner 350mm
It measured 14” top to bottom and the top grip measured 3 3/4” circumference.
The whole wheel was hard as a rock. Everything said made in Italy and the wheel looked nice.
I bought it through EBay and returned it.
I then bought a new Momo Monte Carlo 350mm from Amazon.
It measured 13.5” top to bottom and the top grip measured 3 3/4” circumference.
This wheel was also hard as a rock. Both wheels said made in Italy and showed D35 on the back for 350mm.
Are these Chinese knock offs?
Is Pelican and others selling the same crap?
Click to view attachment
windforfun
Hang in there. Buying on the internet can be a PITA sometimes. BTDT. I know exactly where you're coming from.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Van B
All moms is all China now. RIP MOMO.
mate914
Noooooooooooo....mo... momo....

Company's used to care about the people they sell to.
No more.....
What about gas prices?
Matt flag.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(Van B @ Nov 19 2021, 09:02 PM) *

All moms is all China now. RIP MOMO.

@Van B

Are you sure about that?
Superhawk996
I'm confused. Why the hating on Momo?

Wheel to firm for personal preference?

350mm = 13.77". Wheel diameters seem within .25" of nominal which doesn't seem outrageous for a part that has a hand sewn leather covering.
jim_hoyland
Why not call a US Momo rep and verify the country of origin ? If it’s a knock-off, i would think they are aware.
JamesM
Not sure what exactly you are going for, but that is concerning if it is made in China.

Yes, im sure China can make decent products (though I have yet to first had know of any) but my experience with Chinese "leather" has been not great.

In the 90s I used to always wear Doc Martins boots, Made in England and would just last forever, literally, I still have the first pair I ever bought. The rubber soles are pretty well worn and they are scuffed up, but they are 100% intact after initially wearing them every day for about 5 years.

Then I bought a pair of the exact same style of boot after (unknowingly) they had outsourced production to China. The "leather" never broke in properly and they didnt last a year. I say "leather" because as those boots started to literally dissolve and crumble over the course of that year I found that the material they were made of was very different from actual leather and more resembled a mulit layered pressed cardboard that was died black.

Funny that pair cost just as much as the ones that were made in England. I would have gladly paid double to have the originals again.

Consumer grade manufacturing in China is trash... there i said it. Someone please feel free to show me otherwise.
Steve
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 20 2021, 08:31 AM) *

350mm = 13.77". Wheel diameters seem within .25" of nominal which doesn't seem outrageous for a part that has a hand sewn leather covering.

I’ve had 914’s since the 70’s and have owned both the Monte Carlo and a Tuner wheel. They were a lot thicker and softer back then. Either they changed there recipe or these are cheap knock offs.
Steve
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 20 2021, 09:15 AM) *

Why not call a US Momo rep and verify the country of origin ? If it’s a knock-off, i would think they are aware.

Good point.. I will check out there web site and contact them about these wheels and sellers.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 20 2021, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 20 2021, 08:31 AM) *

I’ve had 914’s since the 70’s and have owned both the Monte Carlo and a Tuner wheel. They were a lot thicker and softer back then. Either they changed there recipe or these are cheap knock offs.

That's fair from an expectation point of view.

May certainly have changed. Virtually impossible to make the same rubber based foams as were used back then. Now stuff is low VOC, water based, soy based, etc. Have to be environmental friendly don't you know! Especially for EU made products.

Hoping you didn't get knock-offs as that certainly isn't what you bargained for.

Overall I agree with the previous comment. It is hard to shop virtually for things that are so sensitive to tactile senses like steering wheel, boots, etc. I did do a bit of searching before I posted, and do see there are comments on both Amazon and other Forums about some people not liking the firmness of Momo steering wheels.

No idea exactly what they might have changed since the 70's but I would bet the underlayment foam recipe has changed due to EU reg's.
914e
My Momo wheel has been in the Arizona sun for 25 years. I thought hard as a rock was the norm.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 20 2021, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 20 2021, 09:15 AM) *

Good point.. I will check out there web site and contact them about these wheels and sellers.

roblav1
I just bought a Nardi. They have a numerical system now to validate their wheels are not knock-offs. And it seems most of their hubs are now only directly shipped from their factory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.