Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Venting a little frustration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LefthandRev
To keep it short, I've owned this current 914 since August or so. Since then, I've chased down, repaired, replaced, and otherwise fixed all sorts of idiotic things the previous owner did (or failed to do) to this car.

I've been smelling fuel over the last few days. And before you admonish me for not doing this sooner, I had given a cursory glance at the fuel line in the past and saw no leaks... I should have done a better job.

Dummy before me kinked the fuel line and did a piss poor job of routing it. See pics below for before and after.

It was leaking out of the hard line.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Headed out now to get a new filter and better hose clamps.
914werke
Yikes. blink.gif I only see one line so must be converted to carbs?
Do yourself a favor, dont use serrated worm drive clamps!!
Use the proper (fuel injection style) clamps ~
rudedude
I'd replace all the fuel lines also.
Porschef
Do you have a part number for that filter? Can’t really make it out.

Thanks beerchug.gif
FlacaProductions
@Porschef Mahle KL11
https://914rubber.com/fuel-filter-1
Van B
I feel ya… hope your spark plugs are seated… mine weren’t lol…
windforfun
QUOTE(LefthandRev @ Nov 20 2021, 11:28 AM) *

To keep it short, I've owned this current 914 since August or so. Since then, I've chased down, repaired, replaced, and otherwise fixed all sorts of idiotic things the previous owner did (or failed to do) to this car.

I've been smelling fuel over the last few days. And before you admonish me for not doing this sooner, I had given a cursory glance at the fuel line in the past and saw no leaks... I should have done a better job.

Dummy before me kinked the fuel line and did a piss poor job of routing it. See pics below for before and after.

It was leaking out of the hard line.

Headed out now to get a new filter and better hose clamps.

Yep... BTDT. Welcome to the club. I've spent 100s of hours (maybe 1000s) fixing one little booger job after another. Hang in there & be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.

tiphat2.gif tiphat2.gif tiphat2.gif
LefthandRev
QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 20 2021, 04:29 PM) *

Yep... BTDT. Welcome to the club. I've spent 100s of hours (maybe 1000s) fixing one little booger job after another. Hang in there & be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Thanks. Truth be told, this is my second 914. My first was a '75 and it had something similar happen to it, only that one ended in a blaze of glory. When I smelled this, I had flashbacks.
gandalf_025
At least you can blame the “DAPO” …
Some of us only have ourselves as 18 year olds
to blame for stuff done years ago..
SirAndy
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Nov 21 2021, 08:46 AM) *

DACO ?
idea.gif
RAX914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 21 2021, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Nov 21 2021, 08:46 AM) *

DACO ?
idea.gif

“DAYS” dumb ass younger self
gandalf_025
I think both would be appropriate…

Things like painting the headlight surrounds black
to look like a later car..
Or
Cutting a 914-6 snowplow valence shorter to
make it look like a later car….
LefthandRev
Well, I finished cleaning up the stuff from the first pic. Will get the rest of the lines cleaned up tomorrow. I'm thinking about adding an in-line fuel cut-off valve in the access hole between the seats, since there's already a split there.
rgolia
QUOTE(LefthandRev @ Nov 21 2021, 09:54 PM) *

Well, I finished cleaning up the stuff from the first pic. Will get the rest of the lines cleaned up tomorrow. I'm thinking about adding an in-line fuel cut-off valve in the access hole between the seats, since there's already a split there.

FYI - I had one of those mahle filters fail on me at the NE Gathering event. If it get too hot the plastic swells. Had lots of fun by-passing it in the parking lot. Get one that is all metal.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(rgolia @ Nov 22 2021, 11:38 AM) *

Had lots of fun by-passing it in the parking lot.

It did look like you were having fun, Ralph smile.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 20 2021, 02:02 PM) *

Good tip. Is this because the serrates can cut the fuel line when clamping tight?
914werke
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Nov 22 2021, 08:27 AM) *

Good tip. Is this because the serrates can cut the fuel line when clamping tight?

correct but not just because they may be applied over tight. Over time the rubber just breaks down & the multiple localized "cut points" on that weaken material dont aid matters
LefthandRev
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Nov 22 2021, 09:27 AM) *

Thanks for that tip.
davep
The clamp on the braided line entering the filter is correct, but the rest are just wrong. Many versions of the current fuel lines are not up to the current fuel and will break down and leak anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.