Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk lock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
As I near the end of my restoration, I was just refitting the rear trunk lid back on the car. The fit seemed to be good, and as I brought it down it latched. When I tried to open it nothing happened. I figured it was in the locked position, but after turning the lock to the opposite position, it still would not open. I must have reversed the plunger or opening pin when I had it apart to clean. headbang.gif
Any ideas on how to get it opened would be appreciated.
Before I get the Dremel or drill out to do surgery, I’m hoping someone has a less invasive solution.

Thanks in advance,
John

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914Sixer
Your going to have to go in the the engine compartment and remove the 4 trunk hing bolts.
Morph914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 20 2021, 03:18 PM) *

Your going to have to go in the the engine compartment and remove the 4 trunk hing bolts.

I will look at this, hopefully it doesn’t involve the spring loaded part of this system.
Thanks,
John
Shivers
Hi. I went out and looked. I can only see one way that no metal gets bent, that I would try. From the engine compartment, pop out the cup the front top latch goes into in the trunk. Get every ratchet extension you own and, one at a time send in a 10mm socket and as many extensions as it takes to un-bolt the tail light. I was able to put my arm through the tail light opening in the body and reach the two bolts that hold in the locking mechanism. Worth a try.
potomacmidget
I feel for you....I did the exact same thing last year, after rebuilding the lock....I ended up drilling it out and buying a new one from a fellow forum member. When you get the new one remove the latch/assembly from the actual lid, then leave the lid up and reinstall and you can test it a few times to be confident, then reattach the lid portion. Good luck.
emerygt350
Well it's shot now. If you want I can come buy and haul it away for you. wink.gif
jagalyn
Nice looking car.
SirAndy
Do a search here, the easiest way to do this is:

- Push both of the plastic cups that hold the targa top latches from the engine compartment side into the rear trunk
- Have a helper shine a flashlight through one of the holes and onto the back of the latch
- Get several long extensions for your ratchet wrench and put a 10mm nut on the end
- Slowly fiddle the extensions through the other hole until you can reach the back of the lock
- Remove the two to 10mm bolts
- Open trunk

smash.gif

PS: This might work better if you put a swivel at the end
Morph914
Thank you all for your comments, remarks, compliments, I’ll be looking at all these options.
I’ll let you know how it turns out. idea.gif

Cheers,
John
partwerks
Last time I had a issue like that, my lid didn't sit down quite right anway, and so made an advantage to lift up the corner of the lid, and I used a 5/16" rod, I believe, and was able to reach over, and force the plunger down to release it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2021, 05:11 PM) *

- Push both of the plastic cups that hold the targa top latches from the engine compartment side into the rear trunk
- Have a helper shine a flashlight through one of the holes and onto the back of the latch
- Get several long extensions for your ratchet wrench and put a 10mm nut on the end
- Slowly fiddle the extensions through the other hole until you can reach the back of the lock
- Open trunk

smash.gif

@Morph914
Another member said go in thru the plastic cup holes and use a 2 iron to reach behind the latch and trip in catch.

Morph914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 20 2021, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2021, 05:11 PM) *

- Open trunk

smash.gif

@Morph914
Another member said go in thru the plastic cup holes and use a 2 iron to reach behind the latch and trip in catch.

Well, I can’t hit my 2 iron worth a darn, so maybe it will come in handy for this.

Thank you
rhodyguy
Put some duct tape on the extension connections.
rgalla9146

The more extensions you use the more difficut it becomes to aim the swivel socket
to the two bolts.
Get three long (12" ?) 1/4' extensions and tape them at the joints as rhodguy said....
you don't want to have to fish them out if they detach.
3/8" tools are too heavy.
The trunk is empty ( sad.gif ) right ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.