Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Cheap Helper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
When I need to pump brake peddle after brake work I use a short piece of 1.5" PVC with a slit cut into it. Keeps my helper from accidentally pushing the peddle to the floor. BTW, cut the slit thinner than the brake pedal or it can slip off. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Brilliant
SO.O.C914er
Great idea agree.gif two bonus points coming your way!
jim_hoyland
Nice ! How long should the PVC be ?
I have bleed next week, soon as I get my rebuilt rears back.
And, remind me the reason to not push the pedal to the floor …
emerygt350
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 21 2021, 05:31 PM) *

You may rip all the seals out of your master cylinder.
Morph914
I use the power bleeder dry, works like a charm and no need to pump the brake pedal.
Justinp71

Power bleeder or now you can get the vacuum bleeders that use compressed air and suck out brake fluid. They work really well just have to make sure with the compressed air you're not throwing debris around your garage and getting into any fresh fluids. Not really an issue just don't have the air blowing above your master cylinder.
ssuperflyoldguy
Speed bleeders let you bleed the brake lines on just about any vehicle all by yourself. Just replace the old bleeder screws with speed bleeders. They have an internal check valve that will pump excess air and fluid out for you. A special coating on the speed bleeders' threads keep them from admitting air into the system, and keep expelled air and fluid out. When you're done, just tighten the screws and go on to the next brake cylinder.

special coating is not so good, maybe add some rtv - LOVE these
76-914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 21 2021, 02:31 PM) *

Jim, measure the distance from the pedal board to where your brake pedal currently stops then cut a piece that length. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Brilliant. This is how most new master cylinders are damaged.
bretth
I did not know about this issue. Thanks for the heads up.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 23 2021, 08:58 AM) *

Brilliant. This is how most new master cylinders are damaged.

Hmm... interesting. I think I damaged one myself about 10 years ago and never knew why until now.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 22 2021, 10:11 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 21 2021, 02:31 PM) *

Jim, measure the distance from the pedal board to where your brake pedal currently stops then cut a piece that length. beerchug.gif

I read your post after the rear calipers were removed. My slotted piece of PVC is 2 1/2 “ high
After removing the rear calipers, I positioned a board between the seat and the pedal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.