Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Body Rebuild Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rbzymek
Looking for a source to repair a sticking 2.1L Vanagon throttle body. So far my PM's to members have been unsuccessful. I am interested in new bearings and seals. Any help is appreciated.
JamesJ
Phil did a great job rebuilding my 1.8 throttle body and has done it for other members here and on the Samba.
His email is pbeslins@msn.com
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Nov 21 2021, 04:55 PM) *

Looking for a source to repair a sticking 2.1L Vanagon throttle body. So far my PM's to members have been unsuccessful. I am interested in new bearings and seals. Any help is appreciated.

Hi Ray

I sent you a PM. I still do these repairs if interested

TJB/914
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 23 2021, 02:34 PM) *

Hi Ray

Mark,
Tell us more about your "Throttle Body" restoration/repairs. popcorn[1].gif
I am interested.
Tom MI
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Nov 23 2021, 04:33 PM) *

Hi Ray

Mark,
I am interested.
Tom MI

I disassemble and clean everything. The body is normally worn where the throttle shaft goes through. This causes the throttle plate to stick when closed. This causes a jump when the throttle is first depressed. I have built fixtures that hold the body in position and I precision machine for a new bearing. This is a little more complicated that it may seem in order to have both sides in proper alignment. The bearings must be cut to size and reamed after installation. I currently only clean the parts. I do not plate the parts. I hope to so in the future but not currently. I have done quite a few of these and no complaints.

Occasionally the bore of the throttle body is damaged by the sticking plate. I open the throttle body bore in these cases and I make new throttle plates for a proper fit. These plates are a little tricky as they are not actually round. I have all this worked out,

Thanks for your interest
TJB/914
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 23 2021, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Nov 23 2021, 04:33 PM) *

Hi Ray

Mark,
I am interested.
Tom MI

I disassemble and clean everything. The body is normally worn where the throttle shaft goes through. This causes the throttle plate to stick when closed. This causes a jump when the throttle is first depressed. I have built fixtures that hold the body in position and I precision machine for a new bearing. This is a little more complicated that it may seem in order to have both sides in proper alignment. The bearings must be cut to size and reamed after installation. I currently only clean the parts. I do not plate the parts. I hope to so in the future but not currently. I have done quite a few of these and no complaints.

Occasionally the bore of the throttle body is damaged by the sticking plate. I open the throttle body bore in these cases and I make new throttle plates for a proper fit. These plates are a little tricky as they are not actually round. I have all this worked out,

Thanks for your interest

Mark,
Sound good smilie_pokal.gif
I'll send you a PM next week for instructions where to send for this repair.
Good time to send during winter storage.
Any budge guess-estimate low to high $__ Amount?
Tom In MI
g
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.