Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is vacuum reading at idle for a properly running 914 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tjgalvin
In six months, I have never gotten my car to run right. I changed and cleaned and serviced many items. Recently, I checked vacuum at idle and it was below 7. I built a test setup to find leaks on the manifold. I found several and fixed them. The manifold holds vacuum. Now vacuum is above 10 at idle, but not to 15. If anyone has a 2.0L that is running properly I would love to know what your vacuum reading at idle is. Please provide the value after the AFR has closed as that valve changes the plenum vacuum.

The car runs no better now, and I need some baseline to satisfy myself that I have fixed all the leaks.

Thanks.

Tim

emerygt350
QUOTE(tjgalvin @ Nov 21 2021, 05:36 PM) *

. If anyone has a 2.0L that is running properly

Hahahahahaha

Seriously though... I guess mine is running pretty good. I can give it a try tomorrow.
914Mels
I'd be looking at your valves being too tight, timing retarded possibly. If these are good then I'd do a leak down check. Have you checked the compression readings on the cylinders?
rjames
Last I checked mine I think it was ~17inHg at idle.
What is your RPMs at idle when your engine is warm and the AAR (not AFR) is fully closed?
emerygt350
Just checked mine. Cold start, cold 30f this morning. 17inches. Funny thing is the aar didn't matter to the vacuum much. I thought that was a little surprising. Aar on it would drop down to maybe 15 or 16 but of course idle dropped considerably when I closed it (I have a valve on my aar hose).

Just some specs..
My idle hot is 850
Cold aar open rpm starts around 1k and climbs to 1500ish as the engine warms and the aar is open.
Just dynoed the car on Saturday so pretty sure it is running as good as it can be considering the age.
GregAmy
Per my Microsquirt logs...once warmed up at 0% throttle, 23.0-23.5 kPa.

2056, mild cam, stock 2L induction bits.

(I love data...)
DRPHIL914
i think mine was 15-17 when i checked it after installation and when i was working on the tune etc. 2.1, d-jet stock bits, mild cam etc. might recheck this again to make sure. i think my engine builder said they like to see 17-20 on F.I.
tjgalvin
QUOTE(914Mels @ Nov 21 2021, 07:02 PM) *

I'd be looking at your valves being too tight, timing retarded possibly. If these are good then I'd do a leak down check. Have you checked the compression readings on the cylinders?

I adjusted valves. Pretty sure they are spot on. I am able to improve idle and vacuum by cupping my hand over the intake, reducing how much air gets through. Idle smooths out and AFR gets richer.

I will check compression. Will be some time as the holidays have me driving about 100 hours over the next few weeks.

Thanks.
tjgalvin
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 22 2021, 12:47 AM) *

Last I checked mine I think it was ~17inHg at idle.
What is your RPMs at idle when your engine is warm and the AAR (not AFR) is fully closed?

Idle is 950 and vacuum is about 12 with engine warm.

I am building a pressure tester to connect to the AAR tube when it's cold. I will pump compressed air into the manifold and use soapy water to look for leaks.

Again, given my schedule, it will be a while. But I should be able to find almost any external leak with this method. If there are no leaks and I still have low vacuum and compression test is bad, I will double check the valve clearance.
tjgalvin
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 22 2021, 09:52 AM) *

Per my Microsquirt logs...once warmed up at 0% throttle, 23.0-23.5 kPa.

2056, mild cam, stock 2L induction bits.

(I love data...)

Thanks. I don't think I can get it that high, but I am clearly way down the scale.
tjgalvin
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 22 2021, 11:17 AM) *

i think mine was 15-17 when i checked it after installation and when i was working on the tune etc. 2.1, d-jet stock bits, mild cam etc. might recheck this again to make sure. i think my engine builder said they like to see 17-20 on F.I.

Thanks. I will shoot for 17. Seems like an attainable number.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(tjgalvin @ Nov 22 2021, 12:22 PM) *

From the Bosch guide:
tjgalvin
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 22 2021, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(tjgalvin @ Nov 22 2021, 12:22 PM) *

From the Bosch guide:

Jeff,

I saw that last night That's where I got the idea. We will see if anything shows up.

rjames
Make a cheap DIY smoke machine. You'll find any leaks quickly.
tjgalvin
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 22 2021, 07:45 PM) *

Make a cheap DIY smoke machine. You'll find any leaks quickly.

Thanks
tjgalvin
Cold compression test results

1 2 3 4
100 90 70 105

emerygt350
QUOTE(tjgalvin @ Dec 2 2021, 09:49 AM) *

1 2 3 4
100 90 70 105

That 70 is worrisome. PLugs out? I would try it warm...
914Mels
You won't get high vacuum readings with the compression low. I'd do a leak down check next to see where your internal problems are at.
tjgalvin
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 2 2021, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(tjgalvin @ Dec 2 2021, 09:49 AM) *

1 2 3 4
100 90 70 105

That 70 is worrisome. PLugs out? I would try it warm...

Plugs all out. I don't think further testing is needed. These numbers are so marginal
I am pretty sure the engine is toast. I am prepping to drop the engine. Tranny needs attention anyway. When I get it put together, I can test it on a bench before putting it back in.

Thanks for the response.
tjgalvin
QUOTE(914Mels @ Dec 2 2021, 11:59 AM) *

You won't get high vacuum readings with the compression low. I'd do a leak down check next to see where your internal problems are at.

Please define leak down. Run compression check and see how long it holds?

Thanks.
tjgalvin

Please define leak down.

Thanks.
tjgalvin
QUOTE(tjgalvin @ Dec 2 2021, 01:36 PM) *

Please define leak down.

Thanks.

I studied up on leak down. I don't have gauges, but I can blow air into the cylinder and listen to where it's coming out. Very useful.

Thanks.
914Mels
With any luck you just have poor sealing on the valves and not piston issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.