Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to pay it forward – friends 914 is popping out fourth and fifth gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
First of all best wishes for a great Thanksgiving tomorrow, and for those in the rest of the world forgive us if we’re a bit sluggish on our keyboards tomorrow due to food induced comas.

I’m trying to help a friend out with a new to him 914 that came with a vague description of transmission problems. The gearbox was super sloppy so we got the car in the air and I explained to him how important it was that it had fresh in correct bushings and set screws in the linkage so we took it all apart and put new parts in and adjusted the shift pattern. The good news is that the gearbox was transformed in the shift action, just as you would expect it to be, and we can get reversed, first, second, third cleanly but fourth and fifth keep popping out of gear. You can find the slot for fourth and fifth but it just won’t stay in gear gear. Reverse through 3rd are in the normal place with the gear lever, so I don’t think I’ve got the rod misaligned.

I checked the clutch tube and I don’t think we’re getting movement on that, so I am getting that sick to my stomach feeling that it’s an internal to the box issue..

Any ideas or suggestions on something that I may be missing?
Shivers
Tail shift?
Mikey914
Either the cone screw is backed out or more likely the shift knuckle bushings are shot.
PM me an address I’ll drop one set out.

welcome.png
Tdskip
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

Side shifter.

Cone screws are in place and snug. Coupler bushings are new and tight.
914Mels
Happy Thanksgiving! For what its worth, I'd have your friend work the shifter while you watch the shift linkage at the trans with the motor off and compare the movements between 2-3 and 4-5. 4th and 5th usually get the least amount of wear so hopefully it's still an adjustment issue in the linkage.
NARP74
Motor mounts, trans mounts?
Mikey914
If the knuckle is good, it must just be out of adjustment. Pretty easy fix.
Tdskip
Thanks for the suggestions, will try again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.