Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Can I use To Strip Off Undercoating...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
What have you guys used? Thanks!
Jett
I used a heat gun, plastic scrappers, and finally brake clean….
Shackleford
I just got my car dry ice blasted. It was great!
930cabman
QUOTE(Shackleford @ Nov 25 2021, 11:34 AM) *

Removed all the crap and left the paint? If so, we are going this route for sure. How difficult DIY?

Thanks, I have wondered this for a while
nivekdodge
Would something like Citristrip work?
nivekdodge
Cause I need to do it too
SKL1
Another vote for the CO2 dry ice cleaning. Had the undercarriage of my '71 done a few months ago. Made one hell of a mess but took off Ziebart and God knows what else leaving a dull silver finish from the original paint...
The guy had a portable unit and I had the car up on my lift with all 4 wheels off.
bkrantz
Depends on the stuff you are trying to remove. If you mean the factory tar-based sheets on the inside of the floor, search all the info already posted. If you mean various undercoating material used on the underside of the car (many are after-market) you will need to experiment.

On my car, some crazy PO used spray undercoating just about everywhere. I found that Goof-off could remove it, with lots of effort, and not disturb the paint.
Shackleford
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 25 2021, 06:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Shackleford @ Nov 25 2021, 11:34 AM) *

Removed all the crap and left the paint? If so, we are going this route for sure. How difficult DIY?

Thanks, I have wondered this for a while

For sure not DIY. You can see pics and video on my Instagram @norcal914
burton73
Sahara Beige Steve (Viewing Profile: smg914)
used paint thinner and massive effort on cleaning and it came out great. looked like perfect paint on the bottom of car and wheel wells.

Bob B

930cabman
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 1 2021, 06:48 PM) *

used paint thinner and massive effort on cleaning and it came out great. looked like perfect paint on the bottom of car and wheel wells.

Bob B

Was this done on a rotisserie? I can't imagine working overhead with paint thinner?

I spoke with a local dry ice blaster, he quoted me $1.7k to do three cars at my place on scissors lift.
Jett
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 1 2021, 05:15 PM) *

Bob B

Was this done on a rotisserie? I can't imagine working overhead with paint thinner?

I spoke with a local dry ice blaster, he quoted me $1.7k to do three cars at my place on scissors lift.

Sounds like a reasonable deal.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Nov 25 2021, 08:53 PM) *

Would something like Citristrip work?

It does soften it'
but it removes paint also
nivekdodge
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Nov 25 2021, 08:55 PM) *

Cause I need to do it too

The citristrip will remove the paint. I did buy an oscillating too and it removes alot including some paint.
burton73

Bob B

I believe that Steve did it all without a rotisserie. Maybe the Dr. 914 will answer on this. There where pictures somewhere.

Bob B
burton73
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 8 2021, 11:20 AM) *

Bob B

I believe that Steve did it all without a rotisserie. Maybe the Dr. 914 will answer on this. There where pictures somewhere.

Bob B

the story behind the infamous Sahara Beige '73 2 liter.
Sahara Beige 73 2L in the capable hands of "preservationist" Steve G/smg914:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101921
burton73
twice but Steves car is just that clean

Bob B
robkammer
I see that you're in Northeast Ohio, I'm in Vermilion and had my 74 dry ice blasted. As othersClick to view attachment have said it does make a mess but the results are terrific. A great guy named David does this, calls the business D'Ice and he's out of the Akron Canton area. He came to my shop in Huron where I had the car up in the air with all of the brake parts and wheels off. Pretty sure if you search for the business name he'll come up, not PM me and I'll dig up his card. Great car guy, loves his job too!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
I'm having trouble attaching pics, email me if you would like to see before and afters, or come out to Huron!
Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.