Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low Cost Trans Mounting Solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveB
I thinks the sales pitch of I drove this a few years ago and it had a shimmy on the freeway was BS...

Click to view attachment

There's other creative stuff on this car. Push button start with a hot wire switch, broken a trunk mount so a long bolt, 30 washers and screw it into the wheel well, wired in top, etc. Easy fixes just WTF folks do to a car

DaveB
Robarabian
I wanna see more!!!!

QUOTE(DaveB @ Nov 25 2021, 12:08 PM) *

I thinks the sales pitch of I drove this a few years ago and it had a shimmy on the freeway was BS...

There's other creative stuff on this car. Push button start with a hot wire switch, broken a trunk mount so a long bolt, 30 washers and screw it into the wheel well, wired in top, etc. Easy fixes just WTF folks do to a car

DaveB
windforfun
Cheap shit DAPO!!!
Van B
I'm actually impressed! You gotta try real hard to do a repair that bad lol!
DaveB
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Nov 25 2021, 12:10 PM) *

I wanna see more!!!!

OK, How about the fuel tank....

Click to view attachment

I figure a 45 mile radius. I was impressed that they used a low pressure high volume pump with a separate regulator for the webers.

Then there is the ignition:

Click to view attachment
Glad they kept the switch cover on this for safety.

Click to view attachment
And the push button start on the dash. Race ready - lol.

I have more. It looks like a black rattle black paint job. Outlined the bumpers and painted parts of the chrome. Amazing what folks do.

DaveB

Van B
This is amazing!
SirAndy
QUOTE(DaveB @ Nov 25 2021, 01:34 PM) *

OK, How about the fuel tank....
I figure a 45 mile radius. I was impressed that they used a low pressure high volume pump with a separate regulator for the webers.

unsure.gif
930cabman
Might be a bit Rube, but he/she deserves a few points for being creative
73-914
When you run out you have an easy can to fill av-943.gif av-943.gif
bkrantz
That's hall of fame PO stupidity right there!
Geezer914
I thought I've seen it all until this! That trans mount takes the prize!!!
wonkipop
love it!

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Haven't seen a chain to hold up the tranny before, yikes.
914Sixer
Isn't that a SAFETY CHAIN? There to prevent transmission failure idea.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Nov 25 2021, 10:16 PM) *

I thought I've seen it all until this! That trans mount takes the prize!!!

I'd sooner drive a car with that trans mount than with that sort of gas tank setup.
willieg
Thank you for posting. I thought my work had been getting sloppy lately but this posting puts me on top of the heap.
Chris914n6
Actually the push button starter was a common fix before we got repro (affordable) replacement ignition switches.
DaveB
If I have to replace the chain, is the genuine Porsche one $800?

DaveB
73-914
QUOTE(DaveB @ Nov 28 2021, 03:59 AM) *

If I have to replace the chain, is the genuine Porsche one $800?

DaveB

YES
mlindner
I'd put a padlock for easy trans removal.
Puebloswatcop
Phenominal, I'd like to meet the DAPO just to congratulate him on surviving. I must admit though when I got my '74 it had the same ignition switch that yours has, only without the safety cover. WTF.gif
mbseto
QUOTE(DaveB @ Nov 25 2021, 04:34 PM) *

Amazing what folks do.

I guess most Porsche owners never go through a poor student phase. I grew up in a rural little town in Ohio, we bought $400 cars that had to get us home from wrestling practice and to our fast food jobs. We kept a spool of bailing wire in my buddy's VW Bug for wiring on whatever fell off. When the floor pan fell out, we got a piece of steel from another guy who's dad worked at Hess & Eisenhardt - they made armored limousines - and so the passenger was safe from shooters hiding under manhole covers, and the whole car sagged to that side. One friend was either a driver or passenger in 6 wrecks that totalled the car- three were roll-overs and one he had to be cut out of. Never got a major injury. My cousin had so many cars catch on fire, we joked that she could always instantly find her car in a crowded parking lot. No one thought much past the day when we could escape that little town.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 29 2021, 07:13 AM) *

QUOTE(DaveB @ Nov 25 2021, 04:34 PM) *

Amazing what folks do.

I guess most Porsche owners never go through a poor student phase. I grew up in a rural little town in Ohio, we bought $400 cars that had to get us home from wrestling practice and to our fast food jobs. We kept a spool of bailing wire in my buddy's VW Bug for wiring on whatever fell off. When the floor pan fell out, we got a piece of steel from another guy who's dad worked at Hess & Eisenhardt - they made armored limousines - and so the passenger was safe from shooters hiding under manhole covers, and the whole car sagged to that side. One friend was either a driver or passenger in 6 wrecks that totalled the car- three were roll-overs and one he had to be cut out of. Never got a major injury. My cousin had so many cars catch on fire, we joked that she could always instantly find her car in a crowded parking lot. No one thought much past the day when we could escape that little town.

I went through a poor student phase, but my victims where VW's, mainly Bugs back in the 80's. Oh the things a teenager will do to keep a VW Alive....wait, isn't that a book?
NARP74
That's Roadkill right there! How to do the wrong thing the right way.
Mikey914
I had a 914 in high school and wasn't independently wealthy, but I did understand that there was a right way, a pretty close to right way, and the bastard fixes.

The last was only to limp home.
930cabman
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Nov 28 2021, 07:06 PM) *

Phenominal, I'd like to meet the DAPO just to congratulate him on surviving. I must admit though when I got my '74 it had the same ignition switch that yours has, only without the safety cover. WTF.gif

Are we sure he/she is surviving??
VaccaRabite
Did the car still shift? Could you find all the gears?

I can't imagine the shifter geometry was anywhere near correct.

Zach
Sway Bar
I don't mind that trans fix, but I'd like to see at least 1-2 threads exposed on that nut just to be safe lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.