Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sold pending payment 1973 2.0 4 cyl Historic race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
BillJ
Hi everyone,

Offering up a long-time racer here first before other channels.

1973 chasis and long time race car available for first time in many years. Originally built in the late 80s, this car was Gold Coast SCCA champion three years in a row 89-91. It also took third in Nationals one of those years as developed and raced by Kevin Wheeler. At that time it was green and was nicknamed Gumby.

Recent work and current configuration are as follows:

New: Completely new build 2.0 4 cylinder long block with vapor honed case, journals opened and cleaned with new aluminum plugs, scat crank, chomoly rods, new euro p&c's, rod bolts, etc. Heads vapor honed and new valves, springs, etc. Nearly new low hour weber 44s, outstanding throttle linkage, and fresh fuel lines (an fittings). Engine is string and dyno sheet available from break in pulls. 3 gentle hours on engine during DE at VIR this November where it performed flawlessly.

New: Remote oil cooler routed to front of car with new steel braide lines and an fittings. Setrab cooler is protected by screen and cover plate when run on cooler days. PLENTY of cooling for this engine and ready for any other poweplant you may run (within reason lol). Shroud built to route air under car.

New: Accusump activated directly to power (new manual handle activation needed) to pre-oil and protect during cornering. A must have imho for a car like this. Mounted in the trunk for easy access.

New: 6 point harnesses

New: fire suppresion system routed to trunk and engine bay.

New: Suspension has been updated with new bilsteins all around and ground force adjustable perches with 300 lb eibach springs in rear. Car is corner balanced with 180lb driver and adjusted at track for all geometry settings.

Existing:
Gearbox is standard 901 and first gear needs synchros relplaced. First is never used on track and second is great for getting to grid so doesnt bother me. Changed gear oil and found one tiny 1mmx3mm sliver of synchro. Redline in box and all other gears including reverse is fine. Shifting is through a Tangerine shift linkage and stock shifter in the cabin.

Brakes are from M and rear Carerra calipers and car really stops extremely well. Fresh pads used one DE. Has Tilton dual brake reservoirs for outstanding feel and reliability. Very good package there including brake bias adjuster reachable while driving. Motul 600 brake fluid is also fresh.

Wheels are cookie cutters (uncommonly nice ones at that) shod with new proxies 888Rs used for just 6 sessions in pretty darn cool temps. Lots of life left.

Wiring throughout the car is clean and marked. There are, to my knowledge, no extraneous wires anywhere.

Chassis is strong and cage is absolutely up to snuff. There is stiffening throughout and was done with forethought. Car was built to compete.

Flares, doors, hoods are all fiberglass and car weighs about 1800 lbs.

Asking $23k Now $21,000.

Why selling you ask? Want to invest in my original six race car and two race cars is too many for me.
BillJ
More
BillJ
More. Please note in undercarriage pic i had not yet replaced the older coilovers. Will have to pictures of that soon.
BillJ
Finally got a video of me driving the car slowly on a brisk 40 degree day at VIR. Please forgive the lousy line. blink.gif

914 VIR
BillJ
As an update will also be including the following:

1. A complete, but dissasembled, engine that had been reportedly dynoed at ~150hp. Webber carbs and linkage included. Consider this as a core for parts or assemble as a sprint/spare powerplant. Believe it is all there but will certainly need a gasket set and perhaps some other parts.

2. Pair of 15x8 5 lug gold BBS wheels and a pair of 15x7 cookie cutters.

3. Set of headers with a phase 9 stainless muffler and a borla muffler.
Montreal914
Very nice video! Thank you for sharing. +
Not a buyer, but this is good advertising! driving.gif

GLWTS
BillJ
Thanks for that. Was a really cold day and was taking it easy as it was a new motor with only dyno time and i had never driven the car before. VIR is a wonderful track though. My favorite for sure.
sithot
QUOTE(BillJ @ Dec 23 2021, 10:56 PM) *

VIR is a wonderful track though. My favorite for sure.

Car and Driver calls it North American Nürburgring Nordschleif.

BillJ
It has such a great rhythm and only problem is the lack of Oak tree. Miss that gorgeous tree.
BillJ
I will entertain reasonable offers.
BillJ
Early and late 80s before and during Gumby phase. Great history behid the car.
BillJ
Still available. Dont miss out on a great track year
BillJ
Reduced to $23k.
BillJ
Took more.pics today as i brought the car in for oil change and valve adjustment.
BillJ
More
BillJ
And more
flat4guy
I've been looking for a 6 but keep coming back to this car. What type of HP does the new engine produce? Thank you.
BillJ
Dyno run during breakin was 110 to the wheels. Very healthy for a true 2.0 ltr 4.
BillJ
Car was just serviced with first oil change and valve adjustment. Ready to run for the season which is starting now!
BillJ
Reduced to $21k. Brand new engine. Ready to run. No waiting, no building, just get in and have fun.
johnhora
Bump for an absolute bargain....
If you want to get on the track this is it!
Everything is done...show up at the track and drive.

BillJ...very nice 914...GLWTS
BillJ
Thanks John. Surprised it isnt gone already. Was fun passing the carreras and 944s in the black run group in my first drive with the car.
BillJ
Bump
BillJ
Sold pending funds
ValcoOscar
Congrats Bill

beerchug.gif
BillJ
Thanks Oscar. Its a really good car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.