Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alignment specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jlaf
I am bringing my six in for an alignment next week and need some advice on specs. My car has a 911 front suspension with the front spindles raised, 22mm torsion barsand 7 inch Fuchs. The rear has koni reds with adj. spring perches, 150 lb. springs and 8 inch fuchs. I will be using as a frequent daily driver and weekend autoxer. And.. front sway bar ,19mm, no rear bar yet although the car has a factory l.s.d. and currently has dunlopsp8000 205/50/15 front 225/50/15 rear. Thanks
nebreitling

your alignment specs are going to depend on how much performance you want to leave on the table on the weekends, in order to maintain good tire wear on the weekdays. or vice-versa. so pick your priorities...

but, i'd sheepishly suggest

Semi-agressive Daily Driver

Front

camber -.8 to -1.2
castor -5.5 to -6
toe 1/16" in per side

Rear

camber -1 or a little less
toe -- again, 1/16" a side

AX

Front

camber: -2 if you can get it. more if you can use it. i run more, with modifications.
castor: as much as you can given the stock strut mounts -- just make sure it's the same side to side. should come to about -6.5 or so.
toe: i like zero front toe. turns in sharp, but can wander a little at speed. i'd stick to a little toe in were i you, though -- 1/32 or 1/16 per side.

Rear

camber: -1.5 or more
toe: standard 1/16" in per side or so. i'm running twiece that right now, but i'm still experimenting with how my rear toe effects the car...

good luck, and make sure you take it to a competent shop that has experience aligning porsches -- not firestone, big-o, sears, etc...
nebreitling
given the large T-bars in front, you may find that the car exhibits some push out at the AX. you can dial it out by lessoning the front bar, but you may have to go to beefier springs. sounds like a fun ride, though beerchug.gif

welcome to the board!
John
With the 8" wide wheels, I would NOT run with 1/16" (0.06") toe in per side. I would shoot for 1/32" (0.03") for a total toe in of 1/16" (0.06")

I would set the front and rear toe-in the same.

Caster should be set to 6.00 degrees (the steering will be best this way).

Camber settings will depend on how stiff the springs are and how low you have your car. (And how your tires will react to camber)

A good starting point (if you don't know where to set it) is -1.00 degree front and between -0.8 and -1.0 degree rear.

This set-up should be fairly easy on the tires as you drive on the street while offering a baseline for auto-x. You will find that you may want to run slightly more negative camber in the front after doing some driving events.

The reduced toe-in settings will give you a better top-end with the wider wheels due to tire scrub.

P.S. Some like to actually run some toe-out in the front for auto-x to turn in quicker. NEVER NEVER use toe-out in the rear.
TravisNeff
I thought the norm (or at least the older wisdom) was that you should run a 1/2 degree more negative camber in the rear over the front, no?
John
I thought the norm (or at least the older wisdom) was that you should run a 1/2 degree more negative camber in the rear over the front, no?

I wouldn't, unless after running it for a while, that it was determined that there was such excessive body roll that it was necessary to run with much more negative camber than 1 degree.

If I had an instance where this was the case, I would suggest to the customer that stiffer springs would be a better method of control than running too much negative camber.

Some tires work better with the greater amount of negative camber, some don't. I prefer to keep the tire as flat on the ground as I can.

I may be wrong, but my tires wear evenly across the face of the tread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.