Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
Just read the Pelican artical on valve adjusting. Seems like a lot of work with the ramps and then jacking. How about using a remote starter? Seems like it would be a lot easier. Or do they overshoot? I saw a remote starter from my flaps for $12. Eddy
dlo914
a914luvr (Glenn) has got one...ask him about it smile.gif
qa1142
no, Pelican is way to do it, very easy. < 1 hour after you have done it once

smoke.gif
smooth_eddy
Back in my VW days it was really easy just turning the generator. Pelicans way seems like a pain in the bootyshake.gif
tat2dphreak
it seems that way when you read it, but it's not bad at all... I like the pelican way...

Cap'n krusty also posted a great way to tell when to adjust the proper valves...
john rogers
The remote starter switch is pretty handy. As a matter of fact if you do any racing having one installed permanately is pretty handy. Make sure to pull the coil wire so you do not accidentally have the engine start.
ArtechnikA
if instead of ramps you support the vehicle on jackstands, you can remove the roadwheels for more room to move, or if you leave them on, you can put the car in gear and turn the wheels to turn the engine through the transmission.
smooth_eddy
Seems like to me the ramp on the passenger side would be in the way if you use pelicans method. idea.gif Eddy
redshift
QUOTE (john rogers @ Jul 28 2005, 10:00 PM)
The remote starter switch is pretty handy. As a matter of fact if you do any racing having one installed permanately is pretty handy. Make sure to pull the coil wire so you do not accidentally have the engine start.

And Britt, get your hand out of the fan, and make sure the car is out of gear, and chocked, and don't rest your head on the lower part of the fan belt, and don't use a torch for light, and don't.....

M
ematulac
Having one wheel on a ramp really is the way to go. All you have to do is turn the free wheel a little bit and voila, you are on to the next set of valves.

When you use a remote starter, wouldn't the valve train move too quick to get it to stop where you want it to?
ClayPerrine
Actually, I use a remote starter button every valve adjustment. I pull both valve covers, and watch the front exhaust valve on the driver's side. When it is open, I adjust the front exhaust valve on the passenger's side. I repeat this process for all the valves.

And you can blip a remote starter button to bump an engine over. Plus the key is NOT on so the car can't start.

ematulac
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 29 2005, 06:52 AM)
Actually, I use a remote starter button every valve adjustment. I pull both valve covers, and watch the front exhaust valve on the driver's side. When it is open, I adjust the front exhaust valve on the passenger's side. I repeat this process for all the valves.

And you can blip a remote starter button to bump an engine over. Plus the key is NOT on so the car can't start.

Hmmm ... ok, i may have to try that. idea.gif
ClayPerrine
For those who don't understand how my method works...

The Type-IV cam only has 4 cam lobes on it. Each lobe opens 2 valves on opposite sides of the motor.

Valve adjustments are always done on the base circle of the cam. The base circle is the part of the cam lobe that does not provide any lift to the valve.

So if you open the valve on the left side, the valve on the right has to be on the base circle.

Hope this clairifys things!!!!

redshift
My God! It's always getting easier!

M
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Jul 28 2005, 05:53 PM)
no, Pelican is way to do it, very easy. < 1 hour after you have done it once

smoke.gif

One hour? I do 'em in 15 minutes, adjusting every valve, checking them again, and dropping the car to the ground. That is, of course on a lift. Might take a half hour on the ground. The starter button is an important part of my technique, which has appeared here on this very list many times. Pelican's method is slow, cumbersome, and requires waaaaay too much effort. The Cap'n
SLITS

Damn Texans are stealing my procedures again......time for an interstate war mad.gif

biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jul 29 2005, 09:03 AM)
Actually, I use a remote starter button every valve adjustment. I pull both valve covers, and watch the front exhaust valve on the driver's side. When it is open, I adjust the front exhaust valve on the passenger's side.  I repeat this process for all the valves.

Damn Texans are stealing my procedures again......time for an interstate war mad.gif

biggrin.gif

flipa.gif I have been doing valve adjustments like that for over 10 years......

idea.gif Maybe you stole MY idea.... idea.gif

Cap'n... It only takes me about 30 minutes on jack stands, and about 20 on the lift.....

But usually I am doing other things at the same time, so I don't really time it.
Mike D.
You only have to move the engine twice. Once to TDC #1 and once again to TDC #3. You do three valves on one side and one on the other, rotate. Been doing it like that for years. and some times with a remote starter... Oh and on the lift... biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jul 28 2005, 06:50 PM)
I saw a remote starter from my flaps for $12. Eddy

Just get a momentary switch at the hardware store, about $3 smile.gif

ematulac
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Jul 29 2005, 11:01 AM)
You only have to move the engine twice. Once to TDC #1 and once again to TDC #3. You do three valves on one side and one on the other, rotate. Been doing it like that for years. and some times with a remote starter... Oh and on the lift... biggrin.gif

I'll have to remember that, too.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 29 2005, 07:10 AM)

biggrin.gif [/QUOTE]
flipa.gif I have been doing valve adjustments like that for over 10 years......

idea.gif Maybe you stole MY idea.... idea.gif

Cap'n... It only takes me about 30 minutes on jack stands, and about 20 on the lift.....

But usually I am doing other things at the same time, so I don't really time it.

"Other things"? You mean like cleaning the covers, replacing the gaskets, changing the oil and cleaning the screen? Me, too. And I've been doing it this way for 35 years. 5 minutes for the valves on this 912 on the lift, and instructing out part time student at the same time. Wanna race? LOL, The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
Nope. You would beat me. I am about 10 years out of practice as a daily production mechanic. Used to be able to replace the clutch on a Nissan 280Z in 30 minutes. Now it would take me a couple of hours, cause I get paid to sit in a nice air conditioned office and tell fix people's computers instead of their cars.

By other stuff I mean adjusting the venting clearance on the rear calipers, oil change, clean the screen, clean the bottom of the oil cooler, adjust the AC belt.

smooth_eddy
Just get a momentary switch at the hardware store, about $3

But you still have to buy the aligators and wire! Eddy
Mueller
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jul 29 2005, 03:50 PM)
Just get a momentary switch at the hardware store, about $3

But you still have to buy the aligators and wire! Eddy

I have mine hardwired into the engine compartment with long wires....I wrap it up when not needed and it's always there for troubleshooting......
mistro
Can someone show/explain how a momentary switch would be wired if one wanted to do this? And what gauge wire? TIA Rgds, Michael
Mueller
QUOTE (mistro @ Jul 29 2005, 04:35 PM)
Can someone show/explain how a momentary switch would be wired if one wanted to do this? And what gauge wire? TIA Rgds, Michael

1 side to + of battery
1 side to big yellow wire that goes to the starter

I think I just used 12 gauge wire
Allan
My spiral has become an oval... mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.