Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA STL/STU - Hypothetical build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ThePaintedMan
So I got a chance to run in a Spec Miata, courtesy of @tooms351 last weekend at Sebring. Of course a stock Miata is way outclassed by every other car in this class, but it was fun nonetheless. Ran in STL as Joe was already running in another group and I had to leave enough time for us to swap out.

Anyway, after doing some more reading about the classes, STL and STU really intrigue me. You can swap powertrains as long as they meet certain thresholds (under 2L and NA in STL) and are from the same manufacturer (VAG engines are eligible). Does this mean that one could theoretically swap a VW 1.8 16V engine into a 914 and run in STL or a VW/AUDI 1.8/2.0T and run in STU? Maybe even a 718 4-cylinder? The GCR doesn't really specify a date range for the chassis that can be used. I bet a 914 with a nicely tuned 2.0T could really fly in STU.
GregAmy
Unfortunately, Super Touring is limited to cars 1985 and later (GCR 9.1.4.B.1). So a 914 chassis is out. Absent that then, yeah, you coudl swap in a 1.8/16V...I was actually involved with the creation and management of the Super Touring category so I can certainly assist with other options.

If you're not looking to set the world on fire, most regions will have an Improved Touring-based catch-all class, like ITE and ITEZ. Either one requires IT-spec safety gear at a minimum, DOT tires, then pretty much anything goes. But remember that with anything goes then ANYTHING GOES and usually there's someone out there with deeper wallets than yours.

Same goes for historics/vintage (where I typically race my ex-ITA 914). Fun, but unless deep wallets it's a crap shoot.

I ran a 1995 Integra RS/GSR/Type R (depending on which engine I had in it) in STL for some years, good car for the class. I later built a K20-powered 2008 Civic Si to ITS specs and ran it in STL, then later with STL specs, then later to ITR specs to run in STU; another good car for either class. That chassis has now been moved to EProd.

We also now have a different K24-powered 2008 Civic Si with about 300 whp and a Quaife sequential transaxle; that's one HELL of a run ride...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.