Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: access to spark plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlindzey
is it necessary to remove the black metal shroud on top of the engine to get access to and pull spark plugs and check compression? it seems like dark holes and bad angles for the work to be done.
emerygt350
QUOTE(dlindzey @ Dec 4 2021, 02:51 PM) *

is it necessary to remove the black metal shroud on top of the engine to get access to and pull spark plugs and check compression? it seems like dark holes and bad angles for the work to be done.

Not at all. On a 2.0 it is quite easy, I suspect a 1.7 is even easier. Not sure about 1.8

dlee6204
Completely doable with all tin in place. I recommend having a magnetic spark plug socket to make things easier.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 4 2021, 12:04 PM) *

Completely doable with all tin in place. I recommend having a magnetic spark plug socket to make things easier.

agree.gif
914werke
If dual carbs are installed it can get awkward ~
Sprout
On a couple of the plugs that sit deeper in the tin, I loosen the plugs, then use a piece of rubber hose tight enough to slide over the plug to finish unscrewing it and pull it out. Same with installation, just get the plug on the hose then get it started screwing in, pull the hose off and tighten with socket.
GBX0073
QUOTE(Sprout @ Dec 4 2021, 05:08 PM) *

On a couple of the plugs that sit deeper in the tin, I loosen the plugs, then use a piece of rubber hose tight enough to slide over the plug to finish unscrewing it and pull it out. Same with installation, just get the plug on the hose then get it started screwing in, pull the hose off and tighten with socket.

################# you don't want to drop a plug ##################

Sprout has the best solution and I use the same method ( I have Carbs) use a socket only to break them loose or tighten down rest of the time I use a hose slid over prevents cross threading too
Shivers
I have no problem with carbs. I use a piece of the cardboard box the plugs come in, wrap around enough on the plug so the plug sticks in the socket. Duct tape the socket to the extension. With the formed cardboard in the socket, reach down and slip it over the plug loosen it up and pull it out.
iankarr
QUOTE(GBX0073 @ Dec 4 2021, 07:19 PM) *

################# you don't want to drop a plug ##################

Sprout has the best solution and I use the same method ( I have Carbs) use a socket only to break them loose or tighten down rest of the time I use a hose slid over prevents cross threading too

Me three!
wonkipop

old school vw trick - nice tip.

take it easy screwing them in.
or its helicoil time.
many a vw engine in aus showed the evidence of that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.