Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 Porsche 1.8 valve adjustment screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Str1974
I'm replacing my push rod tubes on my 74 1.8L and would like to replace my valve adjustment screws (some look a little worn). When ordering from various suppliers, I have found that although they claim to fit a 74 1.8L, the ones I am receiving seem to be MUCH larger in diameter to fit my rockers. I believe I keep seeing the 10mm for sale, but mine seem to be 8 mm. I have tried pelican, aa, etc. and keep getting larger screws and nuts that won't fit.

I know that it would be best to switch to the 'elephant feet" type, but the modifications required are not possible "time wise". Another day. But, it seems that either my engine is not normal, but to use 10mm screws would also require larger bore rockers. I would like to find what will fit for now, but can't find the exact part numbers for an 8mm adjustment screw and nut. Is there an oem part number for the smaller screws? Without the exact part number, I keep getting the wrong part if you only order it for a 1974 1.8L.

Help.
Shivers
I believe the 10mm were for the 1.7 rockers, and the 1.8 and 2.0 had 8mm adjusters. One performance upgrade is to get 1.7 rockers for your 2.0 and the 1.8 I believe. Try Pelican or Auto Atlanta would be my guess for the right size
914Sixer
1.8, 2.0 should have 10mm. However your engine could have been made from leftover parts at the factory. Just order 1.7 engine 8mm screws and nuts. You should be good to go. I have 8mm nuts if you need them.
Shivers
QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 5 2021, 07:27 PM) *

I believe the 10mm were for the 1.7 rockers, and the 1.8 and 2.0 had 8mm adjusters. One performance upgrade is to get 1.7 rockers for your 2.0 and the 1.8 I believe. Try Pelican or Auto Atlanta would be my guess for the right size

Yeah, I had that backwards
Str1974
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 6 2021, 08:56 AM) *

1.8, 2.0 should have 10mm. However your engine could have been made from leftover parts at the factory. Just order 1.7 engine 8mm screws and nuts. You should be good to go. I have 8mm nuts if you need them.

great, thanks for clearing that up. I'll order the ones for the 1.7. If I can't find the 8mm nuts, I just might take you up on your offer. By the way, are the 8mm nuts still adjusted with a 13 mm wrench? I keep hearing that everyone uses a 13 mm wrench to tighten and loosen the nuts. Are the 10mm nuts just not as thick in order to still use a 13mm wrench?
Str1974
QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 6 2021, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 5 2021, 07:27 PM) *

Yeah, I had that backwards

thanks.
Geezer914
You need to order 8mm screws and nuts. 1.7 used 10mm that is why you need to use 1.7 rockers with swivel foot adjusters.
Dave_Darling
Other way around, Geezer. The 1.7 used 8mm, the 1.8 and 2.0 used 10mm. And yes, you do need the 1.7 rocker arms to use 911 "elephant's foot" adjusting lugs.

I am not sure what the various 73s used; I suspect they all used 10mm lugs but it's possible the 1.7s used 8mm.

--DD
wonkipop
flip over to 10mm is in the parts manual.
in 73. after engine number X for EA/EB.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Thanks! I should know to check that column on the PET, shouldn't I? wink.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.