Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help on a 1.8 motor support configuration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveB
I got my project on a lift today and I saw what looks like a support bracket which I can't figure out. The body is a 75 but the 1.8 is stamped from early '74, as is the transmission. I'm trying to identify the bracket just under the oil filter in this picture:

Click to view attachment

I can't find this in the Porsche manual or PET. What is this?

Thanks,

DaveB
jcd914
Looks like part of an AC bracket, possibly to hold an idler for the AC belt.

Jim
dlee6204
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Dec 6 2021, 02:06 AM) *

Looks like part of an AC bracket, possibly to hold an idler for the AC belt.

Jim

agree.gif
930cabman
Welcome aboard.

Are there any other tell tale signs of an AC unit being installed in the past?
DaveB
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 6 2021, 12:23 PM) *

Welcome aboard.

No obvious signs it ever had an AC. The car is a 75 but the 1.8 and transmission numbers are for a 74. I'll be ready to drop the drivetrain in a week to see what's going on.

DaveB
930cabman
QUOTE(DaveB @ Dec 6 2021, 05:39 PM) *

Welcome aboard.

No obvious signs it ever had an AC. The car is a 75 but the 1.8 and transmission numbers are for a 74. I'll be ready to drop the drivetrain in a week to see what's going on.

DaveB

Is it running? Rust? post some pics for our enjoyment

Thanks
DaveB
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 6 2021, 03:16 PM) *

Thanks

I did post some pictures - it's the car with the transmission held in with a chain.

I would have passed on a 914 in this condition years ago. Good platform to teach my daughter how to build an engine, wire, hammer and weld. She thinks I'm going to make this into a hot rod with her. Nope, she gets 95hp and a mildly restored car. I'm a Dad and this is fast enough. Her car for school is a 94 Subaru, the Oregon State car. She can tool around in the 914 on weekends, during the day. BTW - My wife laughed at me when I told her what I picked up to build.

Ignition hot wired. Car has been in Portland outside for 20 years. Requires new floor panels, rockers, hell hole, spare tire tub. Also plan to replace rear crossmember. Different key for every lock. Rims - backset 3.5" so the 165's almost need the fenders rolled, trunk needs straightening, gas tank replaced with a gas can. But the doors fit. Nice Aconda Blue under the rattle can paint. I don't know if the PO was a genius on keeping a car running or heavily medicated.

I'll get the project pictures posted.
bkrantz
Sounds like you have the right attitude to "enjoy" the PO insanity. Good luck!

And hope you and your daughter enjoy garage time together. I have very fond memories of doing work on a Subaru with my daughter, about 10 years ago. Now she teaches her husband how to change oil and filter.
wonkipop
QUOTE(DaveB @ Dec 6 2021, 04:39 PM) *

Welcome aboard.

DaveB

probably the 74 it came from had the AC fitted?

930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 6 2021, 09:11 PM) *

Sounds like you have the right attitude to "enjoy" the PO insanity. Good luck!

And hope you and your daughter enjoy garage time together. I have very fond memories of doing work on a Subaru with my daughter, about 10 years ago. Now she teaches her husband how to change oil and filter.

+1, you raised her good, when will they be advancing to changing brake pads?
Shivers
QUOTE(DaveB @ Dec 6 2021, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 6 2021, 03:16 PM) *

Thanks

I did post some pictures - it's the car with the transmission held in with a chain.

I would have passed on a 914 in this condition years ago. Good platform to teach my daughter how to build an engine, wire, hammer and weld. She thinks I'm going to make this into a hot rod with her. Nope, she gets 95hp and a mildly restored car. I'm a Dad and this is fast enough. Her car for school is a 94 Subaru, the Oregon State car. She can tool around in the 914 on weekends, during the day. BTW - My wife laughed at me when I told her what I picked up to build.

Ignition hot wired. Car has been in Portland outside for 20 years. Requires new floor panels, rockers, hell hole, spare tire tub. Also plan to replace rear crossmember. Different key for every lock. Rims - backset 3.5" so the 165's almost need the fenders rolled, trunk needs straightening, gas tank replaced with a gas can. But the doors fit. Nice Aconda Blue under the rattle can paint. I don't know if the PO was a genius on keeping a car running or heavily medicated.

I'll get the project pictures posted.

Well Dad, you chose wisely. The brakes and handling have saved me from many bad drivers. I grew up in LA where we import them.
DaveB
QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 7 2021, 04:33 AM) *

Well Dad, you chose wisely. The brakes and handling have saved me from many bad drivers. I grew up in LA where we import them.

I promised my daughter we would do a build for her a long time ago. This is 10 years ago when she began helping. She wanted to put the regulator together. I can't say no to puppy eyes.

Click to view attachment

Finishing the assembly.

Click to view attachment

and today...here is a picture just before a State exhibition game where she tore her ACL. Also made a try after the tear. I figured she is healing up so this was a perfect time for this build.

Click to view attachment

Dave B

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.