Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield molding clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Mels
Anyone ever put the trim clips in with the windshield installed?
Mikey914
Haven't found a way to do so. You would be the 1st, but I don't think it's possible.

Mark
Chaznaster
@914mels if you figure it out, be sure to let us know!
914Mels
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Dec 6 2021, 04:19 PM) *

@914mels if you figure it out, be sure to let us know!

A challenge is born!
boxster914
I tried to install two sets of clips on my 71 only to have the trim pieces blow off while driving.

I finally took the car to AutoAtlanta and had them replace the windshield to get the new clips installed.

It's been perfect ever since.
PanelBilly
I broke a few of them when I pulled off my trim last week. The trim wasn't sitting flat in a few spots and needed some rework. I'll be trying to replace them without pulling the glass too. If I'm successful, I'll let you know
Mikey914
The only thing that I think would work would be to find some HDPE "chord". Think weed wacker or something like that and use it in place of the pin provided. As long as the prongs are firmly wedged in it will not make a difference if the material is flexible or rigid.

popcorn[1].gif
iankarr
I suppose you could scuff up the area and jb weld clips in place, but that would be far from my first choice smile.gif
Mikey914
No, I think a flexible, but solid "rod" of material may be the best course of action. It will need to be close to the diameter of the existing pin, could be slightly larger as the flexibility may allow for some compression. If a suitable rod cant be found, a slightly larger may be able to be sanded down with a higher grit of sandpaper 1000?
IronHillRestorations
I don't see it happening. You can't get the fingers of the clip in the hole with the glass in the way and the pin sticking up, let alone drive in the pin.
914Mels
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 7 2021, 10:56 AM) *

No, I think a flexible, but solid "rod" of material may be the best course of action. It will need to be close to the diameter of the existing pin, could be slightly larger as the flexibility may allow for some compression. If a suitable rod cant be found, a slightly larger may be able to be sanded down with a higher grit of sandpaper 1000?

I'm going to experiment with this idea when I get some time.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Dec 7 2021, 02:44 PM) *

I don't see it happening. You can't get the fingers of the clip in the hole with the glass in the way and the pin sticking up, let alone drive in the pin.
QUOTE(914Mels @ Dec 8 2021, 12:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 7 2021, 10:56 AM) *

I'm going to experiment with this idea when I get some time.

@914Mels
@ironhillrestorations
@Mikey914

i had this issue with breaking some clips while installing the trim after the new
windshield was installed after pain a couple years ago, and i was able to replace several of the broken clips. I guess it depends on the space between your windshield
and the frame but we were able to carefully put the new clips in and with a bend pic push the pin into the new clip. the pins on mine had enough flex to bend, but i did sand down the tip of the pin and first few mm to slide them into place a bit easier and then push the pin in so it was secure. just dont push against the glass or you will end up replacing a broken windshield.

Phil
PanelBilly
I guess I might be pulling out the glass then. Last time I did it I broke the windshield.
larryM
i've seen more than a few 914's with the trim simply glued on with silicon, shoe-glue etc -

generally breaking the glass is the end result of trying to get em off

kinda depends on how long one plans to keep the car - if it's a BaT flipper, just glue it on!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.