Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump failing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
Hi all

My 71 original FI 1.7 started to whine after a long summer trip from NC to CO.

The car has run fine since then with no problems, however.

Recently, a strong smell of gasoline has developed in the cockpit. But the car continues to start and run just fine.

The fuel pump has been relocated to the front.

Does this sound like a failing fuel pump to you?

Any suggestions for where to buy a new pump? Is the AA rebuilt one reliable?
Dustin
I'd guess you should replace the plastic fuel lines that run through the cockpit.

Taking the gas tank out to look at the plumbing under it is real easy.
Dave_Darling
Look under the car. Anything dripping on the ground? Is the fuel smell strong in or near the engine bay? Or inside the front trunk?

I suggest inspecting all of the fuel lines, especially including the ones under the tank. There is a ~6" round hole from the steering rack compartment to the fuel tank compartment, and you can use a light to see if the hoses are OK.

Brittle hoses leak. Leaks are a problem. A kinked hose can cause issues, as well.

My feeling is that you have two separate issues--the fuel pump noise, and the leak.

--DD
wonkipop
fuel pumps go bang and thats it.
if its whining its probably struggling for fuel.

i put an inline pump in to replace my failed original.
it whines and makes all sorts of noises after a hot start in summer here.
until it settles down.
pretty sure its struggling to pull boiling fuel through and cavitating etc.
but it goes away after a few minutes.
but very audible whining.
dlee6204
I agree with everything above... get under the car and inspect everything. You have a leak... that's where the fuel smell is coming from and could be a completely separate issue than the whining.
Olympic 914
Had an issue where the 044 Bosch pump started making a bunch of noise, It always was noisy though. Turned out the line from the tank to pump had kinked and the pump was struggling to pull fuel though it.

Fixed the line and switched to a less powerful and quieter pump. all is fine now.

YEMV
boxster914
Thank you for the tips.

I looked under the car and saw the fuel leak.

The right nut under the tank has a drip you can see it in this picture.

Click to view attachment

I'm guessing it just needs to be tightened? How would I do this? I can't even see how I would access it.
ClayPerrine
The only proper way to fix it is to pull the tank and replace the crush washers in the fittings.

Clay
Front yard mechanic
Try a plumbers basin wrench
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.