Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only One Hi-Beam? (LED)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nogoodwithusernames
Over the Black Friday sale at 914 rubber I ordered their LED headlight kit and some LED gauge bulbs for the teener. Got those all installed over the weekend and all is working with the exception of hi-beams.

The driver side will turn on the hi-beam when the switch is pulled, but the passenger side goes completely dark and the indicator in the tachometer does not light up either. It did all work okay prior to LEDs so do I need to put a resistor inline somewhere?

I emailed Scott over the weekend but haven't heard back yet so I am guessing they are keeping busy, thought I would come to you fine folks for some advise.
Cheers!
VaccaRabite
Each headlight has its own fuse for high and low beams. Look there first.

Zach
JamesM
Check the wire orientation in the headlight connector. Had the same issue and found 2 of the wire were swapped on one side. System still worked fine with conventional bulbs but with LEDs one of the highs wouldnt activate until corrected.
Dave_Darling
That was my first thought! LEDs are "directional", and if you mix up the power and ground connections they won't light up at all. Unlike incandescent bulbs, which only care that current is flowing through them and not which direction.

--DD
r_towle
Thing I learned today….led is directional…cool
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 7 2021, 11:34 PM) *

Thing I learned today….led is directional…cool

Well, it is a Light Emitting Diode.
Current can only flow one way.

Zach
Cairo94507
New to me too. smile.gif
Nogoodwithusernames
Appreciate the suggestions, hadn't even thought of the wiring being backwards. Will double check that they are the same side to side since I have one side that works with hi and low beams I can compare against.
Fuses are a good place to check too.
Mikey914
My money is wiring backwards.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.