Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Souvenir Rally Plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2
VegasRacer
Soon after Portland was chosen as the site for the 2006 WCC, I volunteered to handle the Souvenir Rally Plates. I figured the task would be a slam - dunk since my number 2 addiction is collecting Rally Plates. sad.gif I was wrong.

My plan was the get Kroma to make Rally Plates for us. They are the company that makes the plates for the Rally Monte Carlo and many other European rallys events. I contacted both the corporate office and the sales division. Neither produced any results. I tracked down their phone number and called. They said they would fax some information. Nothing was sent. I even had a friend in France contact them. After limited communications they stopped replying after he gave them the details. I don't know if Kroma does not like Porsche's in general, 914's in particular or just does not want to deal with Americans. Either way my message to them is flipa.gif .

I then broke out my list of International Rally Plate contacts and asked if any of them had any suggestions for an alternate source to make our plates. It turns out that Kroma is the only company who has produced any metal rally plates in recent years. Several other options are available to make plastic ones, similar to what we used the first year. unsure.gif But this is not what I wanted.

My next step was to try to find an American company to do the job. None were willing or able to make the die cut shape I wanted in a limited qantity. headbang.gif Failure again.

My last resort was the person I should have contacted first. I know a guy who's business is making license plates. His company did the official D.C. Presidential Inagural plates, Utah Olympic plates and all of the plates for the Virgin Islands and several other small countries. He also works for many different states Motor Vehicle Departments to help with special projects. He checked with all of the sources but was not able to find anyone who could do the large scale, die cut metal rally plate style I had in mind.

Now the good news -What he is able to do for us is to make top quality, standard size (6x12) metal plates. Not the thin metal 'booster plates' like we had last year. These plates will be fully reflectorized, just like the ones that are issued by every DMV. We can get them screen printed or embossed with anything we want.

At the bottom of this post is my proposed design. Please excuse my poor graphic skills. I think you get the idea. It is kind of like a 50 foot - 50 mph paint job. It looks better if you close one eye and squint with the other.

I think embossed number look better than screen printed. We can get what anything we want, but more than 2 digits would interfere with the design. Since we will probably have less than 100 cars at the WCC we could get them numbered 1 to 99. If we want to get more than 100 plates (to sell as souvenirs to those who want an extra or can not make the event) we could have all the others the same with 06 or 00, or what ever.

If we sell the space on the right side to sponsors, the plates will more than pay for themselves. The first year we did this all three spots were claimed in a matter of minutes.

I do not yet have an exact quote for the plates.
It should be about $12 each if we get 150 plates.
We still have plenty of time to work out the details.
Jeroen
those metal plates sound cool!
is the logo color gonna be yellow this year?
VegasRacer
IIRC we had voted last year and decided on the color progression for the next few WCC's. Yellow is next in line. However, that does not necessarily mean yellow with white accents for the plates. Here is some more of my famous bad graphics to show what yellow and red would look like.
boxstr
John Checking back in on the rally paltes. They look great. I would think of asking anyone else to make these because John is th eplatemaster. Lets get back on line with then and let me know what we need to do.
Thank you
Craig
VegasRacer
I got a firm price quote today from my source. The plates would be produced on a 3M DLP Machine. This is the state of the art in the license plate industry and is being used by the state DMV's that can afford it. The aluminum base is the standard license plate material used by most states and they would use 3M reflective sheeting material. In simple terms - these would be the absolute best top professional quality plates available. We are also free to choose how each plate will be individually embossed. My recommendation is sequentially numbered 1 to xxx.

There will be a one time set up charge of $350. I told him we would want at least 100 plates, and maybe as many as 200. Based on this quantity the price per plate will be $8.50 each. So if we got 100 it works out to $1200 or $12.00 each. If we get 150 it would be $1625 or $10.83 each. 200 plates would be $2050 or $10.25 each.

I am counting on our graphic expert Jeroen to provide the art. A sample prototype would be produced to confirm that everything is exactly to our specifications before the final production run. He suggested that we have everything ready to go and place our order in February to be sure we have sufficient time.

This means we need to get busy lining up sponsors for the event if we are going to sell the 3 spaces on the right side of the plates. The spots for logos could be offered as a bonus as part of a sponsorship package for the big ticket items. Another option is to sell the logo spots separately and have to plates be a money maker. My thought was that one plate would be included in the goodie bag for each paid registration. The extras could be sold to those who want more than one and members who are not able to attend the event.
Jeroen
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Sep 19 2005, 12:38 PM)
I am counting on our graphic expert Jeroen to provide the art.

No problem... will do

Any specific wishes?
Is there a standard dimension to work with?
VegasRacer

The standard dimensions are 6" x 12".
I will get you exact measurement of the placement of the bolt holes and the size of the embossed numbers so you can work them into the design. It is a full color process so we are not limited in that respect. You have more than proven your talents and I trust you completely for the graphics. Don't hesitate to ask if I can help in any way.
boxstr
Jeroen, I am in desperate need of the letterheads for WCC 2006 so that we can get letters out to potential sponsors.
Thank you
Craig C. Laughlin
Jeroen
Craig, it should be in your mail box by now...
SirAndy
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 10 2005, 04:28 PM)
Here is some more of my famous bad graphics to show what yellow and red would look like.

me likes the black/red/yellow ...

smilie_flagge6.gif Andy
Jeroen
hmmm... I wonder why idea.gif
VegasRacer
'cause it matches my avatar??? wink.gif

(a detail of the graphics for my new helmet)
Howard
John, were the 2005 plates too cheesy? They were a lot less $$. I have the contact info if you want.
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif
VegasRacer
My source said he would be contacting me some time in January to get the project rolling. I expect to hear from him soon. What do I tell him?

Jeroen needs to do the art. (please)
Are we going to take donations for the 3 logos?
If we are selling these spots we need to have a graphic.
How many? What color? . . . . and all the other questions I asked in my previous post.
boxstr
John Good morning. I am rereading this thread on the plates. The idea of a plate in each goodie bag is the way we will go. As far as sponsors I agree that the way we did it before withe three spots picked up by the first three who want it is sound.
John, what are your thoughts on the number we should have made. Do we do 100 ( just a number)and have just the right amount or do we do 150 or 200 and have extra and some to sell?
How did we arrive at the colors and design for the past two years?? it seemed to work, lets stick with a proven idea, not complicate this anymore than we have to.
Craig
VegasRacer
The plates should more than pay for themselves. IIRC the 1st year we sold all the advertising spots in a matter of minutes. What should we charge for logo placement? If you want, this could be a way to generate addidional funds for the WCC. $500 - $750 - $1000 per spot?

If we get 150 plates the total cost will be $1625 or $10.83 each. I think 150 is a good number. If we use 100 in the goodie bags, I am sure we can sell the others to people who want an extra or people who can not attend the event.

The 1st year a color progression was agreed on for the next several WWC's. This year the color should be yellow. My illustrations above are just example of a few options. Whatever our graphic guy thinks is OK by me.

If we do get 150 plates - do we want them all with individual numbers or do we want WCC or 914 or 06 or whatever on a few each. We could also auction (or use for prizes) the low number 1 --> 9 plates.
Jeroen
as promised ages ago...
boxstr
John I think 150 is a good number. Are we charging the same amount for each of the spots??Also do remember what the spot costs were from WCC 1 and 2??
Someone pick the color, I am okay with their choice.
Numbers should be #1 to 150, everyone has their favorite. We tried to give them what they wanted unless it was already spoken for.
I like $500 for a spot, that will more than pay for the plates, right??
Jeroen the design looks perfect.
Craig
VegasRacer
Excellent J man. clap.gif
We are working if full color on this project so highlights, texture and the sponsors logos can be done any way we want.

All 150 different consecutive numbers sounds good.

At $500 a pop we should be able to sell all 6 spots in no time.
That would give us 3 grand in the kitty. If we spend $1625 on the plates. (and then sell the 50 extras at 10 bucks each = $500) That leaves us with $1875 to help pay for whatever for the WCC.

As far as colors - I like the white base and yellow swoopy 914 logo and black highlights. The sponsors logos would be in a variety of colors. I think blue embossed numbers would look good.

I'm not sure what the Sponsors places cost for the WCC #1 plate. I think it was $500 each. This type of offering was not done at the 2nd WCC.

Sure. Make all the spots the same price. Why not?
It's easier that way. First come - first served.
** (which place does Camp 914 want?)

Thanks again for the art Jeroen. That should be more than enough to work with for now. I will let you know exactly what I need after I talk to my guy.

Craig - do you have an advertising weasel to send out to shake some trees?
- offer the spots to Club members who support our 914 community first?
- make some of the places part of a larger sponsorship package with the heavy hitters?
Jeroen
IIRC, the first year the sponsor spots on the plate went for $150
way too cheap, cause they sold out in 15 minutes biggrin.gif
on the other hand, they covered the costs of the plates, so it was cool

$500 a spot sounds good to me...!
boxstr
Okay That is final. CAMP 914 will take a spot at $500. #1 is fine by me. John I have a couple of people here and I will take a few also. We are still working to finalize the agenda, only one or two things left. The we can take this out to vendors and ask for donations and sponsorship funds. Not having a racetrack to pay for is a huge amount of monies that we can use for th WCC and the RMHC who is the charity for the 2006 WCC in PDX.
Someone said the Monarch was full for the 7th and 8th. I will call Monday and coinfirm. The sales dept. may have a few rooms left. If not I will go to plan B.
Thank you guys.
Craig
VegasRacer
Sponsors? unsure.gif confused24.gif
boxstr
John Good morning. Sposnors are coming in. I have Joe Sharp, Jamie(Morphenspectra) Al Blose has someone this week. Possibly Stefan (GTS).
After looking at the plate from last year I would like to change my spot the one on the bottom.
No logo just write out CAMP 914.
Funds will funnel through me then to you, that way I have an accurate record of the intake and output of $$.
Craig
VegasRacer
Sounds good Craig. thumb3d.gif
My contact is in the Caribbean for the next month. (His company does the plates for several of the small island nations.) We have a meeting set up for March 16th when he will be in Vegas. We will need to have everything ready to go by then.
VegasRacer
To the Graphics Wizzard: user posted image

His preferred format is Corel Draw. Can you do that?

The screening process is full color. Yellow/black/white is fine, but if you have any brilliant concepts to spice things up - go for it. Adding any "extras" will not cost us any more.
Jeroen
John, I make everything in coreldraw, so that shouldn't be a problem biggrin.gif

I do need the logo's from our sponsors (are all the spots sold yet?)

I'll look into "spicing" it up a little, but I think we should keep a uniform look as much as possible (with logo's used on other items)
VegasRacer
How many sponsors do we have lined up? Who are they?
Have they sent their logo's to the J-man?
Jeroen
I don't think they all sold yet... But Craig knows best

Oh... do we need to worry about where the mounting holes will be on the plates (with regards to the design)?
VegasRacer
Yes, the bolt holes should be a consideration. We don't want them to obscure a critical part of the design. The bolt hole location is the same on all U.S. plates. Just Google for an image to get the exact placement. .jpg
boxstr
Still waiting to get some more sponsors, I will start calling and more emails on Monday. 2 sold as of today.
Craig
VegasRacer
My meeting with the license plate guy is this weekend.
Are we going to have our shit together so we can start production?
rick 918-S
Anything I can do? Give me a list and I'll cold call potencial sponsors. Who do we have? Who do we want? How much are the spots? I've had 4 cans of Coke in about 3 hours. Can you tell? boldblue.gif
boxstr
John I have only two sponsors that are commited, well only two sent money that was Calidcott Motorsports and CAMP 914.
I expected those who said they were going to contribute as a sposnor to do so, not yet.,
Here is a list of those that Rich can bug for money.
Morphenspectra, Joe Sharp, 9Series, Stefan GTS seats, and I guess any of the vendors on the club site. I have tried but no real commitments yet.
John, should we scale back to a less expensive plate, similar to the first ones we had. Are they cheaper?? If yes how much??
Craig
Jeroen
other suggestions...
GPR (they were happy to sponsor us in 04)
GT Performance
Raby?

Try the big players for the plates
the "lesser gods" will bite for the t-shirt (we are gonna do one, right?) or other sponsoring opportunities
boxstr
Jeroen, I have already talked to Greg at GT and he said he does not have the funds. I will call GPR, i knew there was someone I was forgetting. I don't know if he is available right now. I will try him.
I have had some baseball hats made up that I will send a pic. These can go intothe goodie bags or in place of the T shirts. Let men know what you think. I just got a call from Brett Laurilla. He is going to spring for a Lic plate spot.
Thanks
Craig
boxstr
front of the hat.
boxstr
back of hat
rick 918-S
QUOTE (boxstr @ Mar 16 2006, 12:54 PM)
John I have only two sponsors that are commited, well only two sent money that was Calidcott Motorsports and CAMP 914.
I expected those who said they were going to contribute as a sposnor to do so, not yet.,
Here is a list of those that Rich can bug for money.
Morphenspectra, Joe Sharp, 9Series, Stefan GTS seats, and I guess any of the vendors on the club site. I have tried but no real commitments yet.
John, should we scale back to a less expensive plate, similar to the first ones we had. Are they cheaper?? If yes how much??
Craig

I'll get started tomorrow night. I didn't see this until just now. What do the spots cost for the plate? $500.00 per?

What about "T" shirt spots? What did we get last year?

Has anyone ever hit up Wayne at the Bird? If not, is there a reason?
Jeroen
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 17 2006, 07:40 AM)
Has anyone ever hit up Wayne at the Bird? If not, is there a reason?

I tried 2 or 3 times in 04, but got no response
Maybe phone works better...
Give him another try
VegasRacer
Sick 'em Rick. assimilate.gif

With my main man Rick on the job, the remaining spots are as good as sold.
When I meet with the plate guy tomorrow I will tell him we will have the final artwork (with the logos) is less than a week.
boxstr
I just got an email from Al Blose. He has a sponsor coming in for a Lic plate spot. Won't be here until Sunday or Monday. I also contacted Jason at Paragon Products. Not sure if he will step up to be a lic plate sponsor.
I also tried and no reply from Bird man.
Craig
rick 918-S
I had a day like no other today but managed to place a call to Wayne. Course I got VM... dry.gif I'm going to work on an email tonight, then call on monday as a folow up.

Did we have a standard form letter text for email? I can draft something no big deal, but if someone has already done it, I don't need to re-invent the wheel.
Jeroen
my 'begging letter' should still be in the 04 archives...

here it is:

Hello,

We are looking for sponsors for the 914 West Coast Classic event that will happen on june 4,5 and 6 this summer.
The WCC, will be THE event for 914 owners this year with participants for all over the USA
So far, we have about 50 cars registered (registration ends april 30th)

WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
First of all, we are looking for sponsors for the Rallye Shields.
We can print your company logo (in 1 color) on the Rallye Shields that will be on ALL of the attending cars. We have 3 spots for sponsors available on the Rallye Shield, but if you prefer, you can of course claim all 3 spots. We are aiming for $100 per spot for the Rallye Shield

You can see a preview of the Rallye Shield here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-7...-1077070925.gif
The dimensions of the Rallye Shield are approx. 12.5 inch wide and 7.5 inch heigh

The final design of the Rallye Shields will go to the printer may 5th (yes, that's next wednesday!) so if you would like to be in on this, you will need to decide fast.
Of course as a sponsor, you will receive an extra example of this great piece of memorabilia.

Other sponsorship possibilities could be "adopting" one of the 914 West Coast Classic sub-events (like the AX, the Concours, etc.)

Donations in the shape of 914 parts are also welcome.
The donated parts will be raffled during the event, at which time your name will be mentioned again.
This is a great way to promote your company.

Furthermore, we are open to any and all sponsoring suggetions you might have, so please don't hesitate to ask!

WHAT DO WE OFFER IN RETURN?
We can add a brochure, flyer, sticker or businesscard of your company to the "goodie bags" that each participant will receive at the start of the event.

Each and every sponsor will be mentioned during the event and on the event-website.

On the event-website, we will include your company logo, address, phone#, web address and e-mail address.
The event-website will be expanded with photo's and reports, so you'll enjoy your sponsorship for a long time even after the actual event has ended.
The event-website is part of www.914world.com which is the biggest online 914 community taking over 10.000 hits a day!

You can either sponsor the event financially, or if you prefer, by donating 914 parts of a comparable value.
As mentioned, these parts will be raffled during the event, at which time your name will be mentioned again.

For more information about the event you can check:
http://www.914world.com/westcoastclassic/
or the Bulletin Board on http://www.914world.com

Or feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks for your time!

Jeroen Berloth

maybe it's of help, maybe not...
rick 918-S
Duh! wacko.gif Thanks buddy! wavey.gif
boxstr
Hey who gets the logos?? I have one from Brett Laurilla.
So that puts us at only one space left.
Thanks
Craig
VegasRacer
Craig - please send the logos to Jeroen.

Jeroen - It looks like we are almost there. I will need the final artwork by the end of the week. Sooner if possible. What else do you need from us to finish this project?
rick 918-S
Craig and team,

I just got off the phone with Dave from KEP.

He's interested in helping out with the rally plate. I think he may need some proding. Craig, Can you send him an email as a follow up?

He was going to talk to Mr. Kennedy about the money. I think he will require the "Craig" sales touch to lock thinks in.

Dave, KEP
38830 17th St. East, Palmdale, California 93550
Phone# (661) 272-1147
FAX # (661) 272-1575
Jeroen
please send me the logo's for the confirmed sponsors...
Jeroen
ok, got most of the logo's
only missing Joe Sharp's, but he'll e-mail it to me soon

from the original sponsor thread in the garage, I gathered these locations:

1 - Iron Horse (Korijo)
2 - ...
3 - ...
4 - NARP Racing (Joe Sharp)
5 - Callicott Motorsports (Dan Callicott)
6 - Camp 914 (Craig)

spots 2 and 3 are for BKL/A Architecture (Brett) and NWP Baking Co. (Al Blose)
did they get a specific spot assigned?

also, I remember Craig mentioning that he didn't want his logo, but just the text CAMP 914 in spot #6
Can you please confirm that Craig?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.