Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge wire routing in the tunnel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
I am putting a cht gauge (and some others) in my console and I am trying not to screw up anything more than I have too. When I pull up the floor of the console I see a bunch of wires that come out of a channel just under the carpet(with many more wires that keep heading up into the front of the car). I see the channel with the shift lever Clutch and fuel lines. I was contemplating drilling a hole near the clutch cable plate (possibly through it?) To insert my wires and bring them forward. The exit (if that is what I can feel with my fingers) in the tunnel for the gauge wires appears to be full already.

Before they exit are all of these wires in the tunnel with the shift linkage,clutch cable, and fuel lines?

The snorkel in the engine bay plugs into that tunnel?

How should I get my new set of wires out of the tunnel into the console?
JeffBowlsby
Dont drill anything into the tunnel. Wires, fuel lines and the shift linkage reside there. It will all be obvious if you just pull up the carpet pice over the tunnel. Removable access panels are located at the front and rear of the tunnel.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 8 2021, 02:11 PM) *

Dont drill anything into the tunnel. Wires, fuel lines and the shift linkage reside there. It will all be obvious if you just pull up the carpet pice over the tunnel. Removable access panels are located at the front and rear of the tunnel.

agree.gif
Drilling holes is a recipe for rust as the best case scenario.

Fish it though the wiring harness snorkel.

Here's the lay of the land for holes and access panels in the tunnel. Wiring runs up though the depressed trough on the top side / passenger side of the tunnel.

Click to view attachment
Literati914
red line basically shows route of wiring:

Superhawk996
Close but red line is not the wiring path you want to follow.

OEM Wiring routes though depressed trough (blue). Red line will go below the shift lever and linkage. You don't want wiring running in an area near a moving linkage.

Click to view attachment

Top side:
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
My carpet and padding are nearly impossible to pull up. Is that normal?

I have quite a bit I need to push through. The snorkel appears to be full of stuff already. Is that large hole where your lines enter where the snorkel plugs in? It started snowing so I put the car back in the garage and can't orient myself on my car.

The biggest pain will be the afr plug.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 8 2021, 03:59 PM) *

My carpet and padding are nearly impossible to pull up. Is that normal?

I have quite a bit I need to push through. The snorkel appears to be full of stuff already. Is that large hole where your lines enter where the snorkel plugs in? It started snowing so I put the car back in the garage and can't orient myself on my car.

The biggest pain will be the afr plug.

Carpet shoudn't be terribly hard to pick up. Glued at edges. Someone may have gone nuts with glue on yours.

Snorkel is full but we're only talking about a couple 18 gauge wires. There is room, others have done it. you'll esentially have to "fish tape" though the snorkel and pull the rest.

Yes - snorkel enter the large hole on passenger side.

I wouldn't try to fish a AFR connector though the snorkel, I'd cut & splice so that I'd only be pulling wire though the snorkel. Reterminate once wiring is pulled.
emerygt350
May have gone a little overboard but I figured if I am going through all the trouble to fish one, I may as well make it worth the time and effort
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
So yeah, more than just the CHT now... That might have made this a lot harder.
Literati914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 8 2021, 02:29 PM) *

Close but red line is not the wiring path you want to follow.

OEM Wiring routes though depressed trough (blue). Red line will go below the shift lever and linkage. You don't want wiring running in an area near a moving linkage.

Thanks for making that correction Superhawk, you’re absolutely right, of course!.. I was in need of a nap when this question popped up biggrin.gif

rjames
If I installed vacuum and AFR gauges in my center console, I'd hardly ever have my eyes on the road.
emerygt350
QUOTE(rjames @ Dec 8 2021, 04:28 PM) *

If I installed vacuum and AFR gauges in my center console, I'd hardly ever have my eyes on the road.

I know it. Luckily they are down at the bottom so maybe I will forget about them.
barnfind9141972
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 8 2021, 01:09 PM) *

May have gone a little overboard but I figured if I am going through all the trouble to fish one, I may as well make it worth the time and effort
Click to view attachment

Which CHT option did you go for? Looking at getting one to check temps in the desert
emerygt350
QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Dec 8 2021, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 8 2021, 01:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Which CHT option did you go for? Looking at getting one to check temps in the desert

Dakota digital
emerygt350
So Fing gross.

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
laugh.gif When you said padding I had a suspicion something was up.

That shoddy (yes, really that's the name for it) padding is not OEM.

At least you've got it up, can get that moisture holding shoddy out and you've found the right trough for the wiring.
emerygt350
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 9 2021, 10:45 AM) *

laugh.gif When you said padding I had a suspicion something was up.

That shoddy (yes, really that's the name for it) padding is not OEM.

At least you've got it up, can get that moisture holding shoddy out and you've found the right trough for the wiring.

I figured. Looks like new carpet and padding will be in my future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.