Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: right rear outer suspension console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We already make the rear inner swing arm suspension console, but are now thinking about making the outer one as we. Have it all estimated planed and are ready to start the tooling. I know that there are no more new or used in the world, even Rich at HPH has none, but will we ever sell the hundred we have to have made to justify spending 25000 dollars on tooling and the one hundred pieces We could also offer it already welded to our right inner firewall. All I would need is 50 people to want to pay 450 each for one to justify it! (will never happen in my opinion)

Point is a lot of needed 914 parts could be easily made, but are cost prohibitive. THEN try to find someone to install a part like this. Comments?Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
headbang.gif You are right.

However, I really would have like to have bought one of these new a couple years back when I first started my rustoration. If I could get one about 10 years from now I would like to re-do mine eventually. Not so sure about pre-welded to wheelhouse. In theory that is great but in practice it may be difficult to move the non-critical wheelhouse to fit the rest of the body without negatively affecting the critical suspension pickup point geometry.

Looks like you have OEM NOS that way which would likely be OK since they had better control over part geometry than what you'll be able to get out of $25K low volume tooling. If you could do it EXACTLY right, I'd love to be able to have gotten both welded. Far better than having to remove my old one, rebuild it, and then welding the swiss cheese back to your new inner wheelhouse.

Alternatively, I've asked RD several times when left side suspension console inner is coming? As these cars continue to age, have been raced or auto crossed, these things (inner and outer, both driver & passenger side) fatigue. They were never intended to have lived for 50+ years.

Bless you for putting together the tooling estimates and trying to build a business case for it. If you get the other 49 group buyers, I'll gladly be #50.
914werke
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 8 2021, 12:48 PM) *
We already make the rear inner swing arm suspension console, but are now thinking about making the inner one as we.
You mean outer smile.gif
Ive been scabbing these for yrs for this reason
We could also offer it already welded to our right inner firewall.
You mean ther inner wheelhouse piece? Problem with that is its too short. dry.gif Somewhere along the line someone decided to trim that part to approx .5 it hieght up the wall. Bad decision IMO
914werke
George how about reproducing the plates to tie the inner & outer together first?
Ive been hounding RD for literally YEARS to create these but have gotten no traction.
LINK sad.gif
Tooling for those would be a fraction & could be kit'ed with the inner
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 8 2021, 03:54 PM) *

dry.gif Somewhere along the line someone decided to trim that part to approx .5 it hieght up the wall. Bad decision IMO

I obtained a part that is much taller than that shortened one you've noted. Thought it was obtained from George. I think they have both short and tall format.

Link to the tall piece:
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Lower-A...450194420C.html
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the beauty of youth, Rich thank you for calling the mistake to this old man's attention, you need to come and take over this place 12 hours of real fun every day!

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 8 2021, 01:54 PM) *

We already make the rear inner swing arm suspension console, but are now thinking about making the inner one as we.
You mean outer smile.gif
Ive been scabbing these for yrs for this reason
We could also offer it already welded to our right inner firewall.
You mean ther inner wheelhouse piece? Problem with that is its too short. dry.gif Somewhere along the line someone decided to trim that part to approx .5 it hieght up the wall. Bad decision IMO

dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have new ones for the left and could easily and cheaply mirror them, good idea, I will send a set to our guy tim.

the latest we got in since the console bracket kits from Tim, are the front, front fender dog legs (yes Rich front, front) and from Dansk 914 front fenders. We also are making the door panel bracketing now and the RIGHT air guide plate which protects the clutch

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 8 2021, 02:02 PM) *

George how about reproducing the plates to tie the inner & outer together first?
Ive been hounding RD for literally YEARS to create these but have gotten no traction.
LINK sad.gif
Tooling for those would be a fraction & could be kit'ed with the inner

Luke M
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 8 2021, 01:48 PM) *

We already make the rear inner swing arm suspension console, but are now thinking about making the outer one as we. Have it all estimated planed and are ready to start the tooling. I know that there are no more new or used in the world, even Rich at HPH has none, but will we ever sell the hundred we have to have made to justify spending 25000 dollars on tooling and the one hundred pieces We could also offer it already welded to our right inner firewall. All I would need is 50 people to want to pay 450 each for one to justify it! (will never happen in my opinion)

Point is a lot of needed 914 parts could be easily made, but are cost prohibitive. THEN try to find someone to install a part like this. Comments?Click to view attachment

George,

Is the pic here of a nos right side inner fender that you have in stock?
930cabman
There is a market for these, inner and outer, heck these days you can get an entire speedster chassis/body from RD

It's only a matter of time before someone makes them.

There are a few original used ones floating around, but less and less everyday
914werke
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 8 2021, 02:43 PM) *
we have new ones for the left and could easily and cheaply mirror them, good idea, I will send a set to our guy tim.
No Charge biggrin.gif
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 8 2021, 02:43 PM) *
and the RIGHT air guide plate which protects the clutch
You mean for early 70-74 correct? Awesome , thats much needed!
peteyd
George,

Start hammering them out. I get calls all the time. It wont take long before your tooling is paid off. But, I also have that part scanned and some tooling half made, so we will be making it in the future as well.

We are just slammed right now making tooling for the 356 and that is why we haven't focused on the 914 right now. We will get back to them eventually.

Pete

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.