Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield top sealant.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Archie
Did anybody else find this stuff during a resto? it ran pretty much the length of the seal. It looks and feels like silicone bathroom sealer but I hear that silicone is death to metal, something to do with the acid in the curing agent or somesuch. I remember cars in the seventies with the windshield/back widow surrounds rusted out thanks to silicone.
I'm tempted to dismiss it as the work of the DAPO (or more likely the dealer) "Hey, the top leaks! Whayyagonnado about it!" Especially as the sealant of choice at the factory was black and definitely urethane.
Dave_Darling
Looks like someone used clear RTV silicone there, possibly to hold the seal on or just to stop a leak. Bit of a hack job IMO.

--DD
bkrantz
DAPO BS.
Archie
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 9 2021, 07:21 PM) *

Looks like someone used clear RTV silicone there, possibly to hold the seal on or just to stop a leak. Bit of a hack job IMO.

--DD

That's much too kind a description, Dave!
Archie
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 9 2021, 08:11 PM) *

DAPO BS.

For sure. BK!
nivekdodge
Cars rusted out around the windows in the 70'2 due to metal trim clips on metal pegs holding trim on. I've never heard of silicone rusting metal. It would be oppoite in my mind.
Mikey914
Silicone, a function of leaking seals and lack of understanding of how the seals work.

Little know fact, the lower targa seal is very important to draining the water out. Many folks leave them in as they look ok. Only to have them fall apart when they do go to remove the. That is why I recommend you remove it to inspect it at the very least. If it has little crack when you fold it over it's done.

Archie
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Dec 14 2021, 07:42 PM) *

Cars rusted out around the windows in the 70'2 due to metal trim clips on metal pegs holding trim on. I've never heard of silicone rusting metal. It would be oppoite in my mind.

That's obviously not true as there is rust in the photo I supplied, plus see here: https://forum.w116.org/auto-torque/silicone...lants-and-rust/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.