Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random starter issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
Ever since I bought the car it would randomly not start. Hot/cold/whatever. Power comes on, I can see the volt gauge drop to ten when I hit the key all the way to turn the motor over, but nothing. No click, nothing. I hear a little something like relays maybe? when I turn and hold it to start. Wiggle wires, do a rain dance, slam the car door, slam the engine lid, nothing. Walk away all pissed off, come back in 1/4/6/10 minutes and sometimes it starts right up, sometimes it doesn't.

??????

Corroded lead on the solenoid? Bad solenoid?
wonkipop
what year is your car?
GregAmy
Get a remote start switch and see if it starts all the time, every time using that switch. (Edit: or if you know how to safely short the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver...)

If so, then the wiring aaaalll the way forward to your switch and aaaalll the way back to your solenoid is showing its age. Or the ignition switch is.

No manufacturer runs full solenoid current all the way to the ignition any more, and this is why. Relay it.

I used one of the commonly-available Bosch relay kits. Mark Henry like the Ford relay:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=308904
emerygt350
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 10 2021, 02:18 PM) *

what year is your car?

emerygt350
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 10 2021, 02:34 PM) *

Get a remote start switch and see if it starts all the time, every time using that switch. (Edit: or if you know how to safely short the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver...)

If so, then the wiring aaaalll the way forward to your switch and aaaalll the way back to your solenoid is showing its age. Or the ignition switch is.

No manufacturer runs full solenoid current all the way to the ignition any more, and this is why. Relay it.

I used one of the commonly-available Bosch relay kits. Mark Henry like the Ford relay:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=308904

Wow, that Ford relay trick is awesome. I think I may have a new project.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 10 2021, 02:43 PM) *

[

Wow, that Ford relay trick is awesome. I think I may have a new project.

Be sure you get a Quality relay, i had a cheap China made relay fail in less than a year.
Should have known better.
iankarr
Also check that your iginition key switch isn't cracked...
wonkipop
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 10 2021, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 10 2021, 02:18 PM) *

what year is your car?

ok, its not what i was going to suggest then.
Thestigz06
QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 10 2021, 12:21 PM) *

I second this. That’s what happened to mine
emerygt350
QUOTE(Thestigz06 @ Dec 10 2021, 10:21 PM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 10 2021, 12:21 PM) *

I second this. That’s what happened to mine

Where does it crack?
mate914
Be hind your key is a very old plastic switch that cracks with time...
Matt flag.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 10 2021, 12:05 PM) *

Ever since I bought the car it would randomly not start. Hot/cold/whatever. Power comes on, I can see the volt gauge drop to ten when I hit the key all the way to turn the motor over, but nothing. No click, nothing. I hear a little something like relays maybe? when I turn and hold it to start. Wiggle wires, do a rain dance, slam the car door, slam the engine lid, nothing. Walk away all pissed off, come back in 1/4/6/10 minutes and sometimes it starts right up, sometimes it doesn't.

??????

I spent a few weeks rebuilding my brothers 74 2.0 wire harness.
Here's what I learned along the way. Most of the wires where shot.
Once I cut into them the wires where mostly corroded and no longer copper looking.
At one point someone jumped out the relay under the pass seat with a butt connector. That connector pretty much fell apart in my hand. I ended up replacing some of that large yellow wire which runs to the starter solenoid. I installed a hot start relay in the engine bay and all new wires pretty much through out. I also found that the ignition switch was cracked too. That yellow wire runs from the switch to the starter solenoid. It's pretty easy to replace the switch. Pull your steering wheel, 2 screws holding the ignition switch housing, unplug the wires at the back of the switch, put your key in to unlock the column and out the assembly comes. remove the set screw holding the plastic switch and pull it out. They crack around where the steel insert from the lock assembly mates. You can't tell unless you go through the removal process. Test the continuity from the yellow wire at switch plug to the starter. It's a little of a pain but can be done. I can't recall if the 73 has the relay under the pass seat but if it does look real hard there as well. Also check all of your grounds. Trans & engine bay get most of the corrosion but look at all of them.

BTW where in Upstate NY are located?
emerygt350
QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 11 2021, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 10 2021, 12:05 PM) *

??????

I spent a few weeks rebuilding my brothers 74 2.0 wire harness.
Here's what I learned along the way. Most of the wires where shot.
Once I cut into them the wires where mostly corroded and no longer copper looking.
At one point someone jumped out the relay under the pass seat with a butt connector. That connector pretty much fell apart in my hand. I ended up replacing some of that large yellow wire which runs to the starter solenoid. I installed a hot start relay in the engine bay and all new wires pretty much through out. I also found that the ignition switch was cracked too. That yellow wire runs from the switch to the starter solenoid. It's pretty easy to replace the switch. Pull your steering wheel, 2 screws holding the ignition switch housing, unplug the wires at the back of the switch, put your key in to unlock the column and out the assembly comes. remove the set screw holding the plastic switch and pull it out. They crack around where the steel insert from the lock assembly mates. You can't tell unless you go through the removal process. Test the continuity from the yellow wire at switch plug to the starter. It's a little of a pain but can be done. I can't recall if the 73 has the relay under the pass seat but if it does look real hard there as well. Also check all of your grounds. Trans & engine bay get most of the corrosion but look at all of them.

BTW where in Upstate NY are located?

I am in Elmira. I am going to go crazy with my multimeter today. I have 13.3 at the battery and 12.5 at the coil sometimes less. I know the dash etc is getting low voltage since my voltmeter barely reads 12.2 most of the time. Battery charges fine and as I said reads good when running. I am hoping to just clean some connections and fix it all... Yeah right, you got to have dreams...

emerygt350
Found it! Every wire on the solenoid was loose. Cranked those down and now I am up to 12.7 to 12.9 everywhere. Now to see if that fixes the starter issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.