Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Gas pumps, credit cards & Zip Code
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
Ran into this in CA in May.....

The gas pump wants you to enter your zip code before accepting your credit card as payment. The only problem is we don't use Zip codes up here and it won't accept our postal codes.

Is this prevelent across the states now?
Aaron Cox
cuts down on credit card fraud...

Person A steals B's credit card... A triues to get gas but doesnt know whwere B lived...

make sense?
GWN7
Yes I can see that, but what I'm wondering is how many gas stations (all over the USA?) are doing this. It will make road trips more interestiong to fill up as I don't have a Zip code.
bd1308
SLITS
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 28 2005, 09:05 PM)

Send me your credit card smile.gif
Joe Bob
Go in and show "Habib" yer ID, and he authorizes the purchase....
bd1308
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jul 28 2005, 10:07 PM)

a debit card--no good. i have no money.
SLITS
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 28 2005, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jul 28 2005, 10:07 PM)

a debit card--no good. i have no money.

Then quit posting useless information biggrin.gif
Lou W
GWN7   Posted on Jul 28 2005, 09:04 PM Yes I can see that, but what I'm wondering is how many gas stations (all over the USA?) are doing this. It will make road trips more interestiong to fill up as I don't have a Zip code.

Where do they send your bill? Thats the zip code they want. They wanted that information when I used my card out of the area that I live in. smile.gif
GWN7
My bills come up here...we use a alphanumeric combination for our Postal Codes, example R2L 1M9....and I tryed my US address zip (58271) it didn't work.
TravisNeff
Mostly Chevron stations down here, maybe a couple of others. Does it on debit too, which makes little sense to me. You have already given your pin and if you have that info, the billing zip code would be easier to get than a pin.
BMartin914
I've only had to do this when using an American Express. Basically all of the credit card checkout terminals nowadays - including gas pumps.
ArtechnikA
i'm beginning to like the cash concept again more and more.
with gas at $2.50/gal fillups are pretty easy to get to a multiple of $5...
redshift
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 29 2005, 06:50 AM)
i'm beginning to like the cash concept again more and more.
with gas at $2.50/gal fillups are pretty easy to get to a multiple of $5...

That's nice Rich.

sad.gif

I wish it was $0.29 again.

M
tdgray
Hmmm.... never heard of this.

We are always the last to know in OH.... except of course when we elect presidents. biggrin.gif
ematulac
I started seeing this with my Discover Card probably a year or so ago. I think the other cards followed suit not long after.
lapuwali
First, it only seems to do this on MC/Visa type cards, or debit cards. If you get a brand specific gas card (Shell Card, Chevron card, etc), it doesn't do this. I've only seen it in CA, and it doesn't ask for the zip every time. Chevron stations seem to be the most likely to ask. I've never been asked at a Shell station.

I recently made a road trip from NJ to CA, and wasn't asked for my zip even once, so I don't think it's common outside CA.

The zip has to match the billing address on the card. So, you can also handle this by getting a card with a US billing address just for trips like this. I agree it really sucks that these systems only handle US postal codes.
meares
i've run across this a couple of times in NC SC and GA
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (meares @ Jul 29 2005, 09:32 AM)
i've run across this a couple of times in NC SC and GA

Some of the stations here do it some don't. Another thing that has happened is some places are not requiring me to sign a credit card receipt when the bill is under $50. Walgreens and Kroger here are doing this.
CptTripps
The first time I'd ever seen that was when I was in Cali for WWC.

Back here in Ohio, I've never seen it...
boxstr
Bruce I will fill the tank before you leave CAMP.
CCLINASSFORGAS
bondo
I'm pretty sure this only applies to the pay at the pump system. If you go inside and pay to a real person they can look at your ID and such. No need for a zip code.
mharrison
I had this happen to me on the road with company business in a rental car. I didn't know the zip code of the billing address for our company card.

I had to pay with mine. What a pain in the a$$.

I was at an Exxon, some do this, some don't. I'm in Mississippi.

Mike D.
I first saw it at a Mobil station when using a Mobil Card and thought is was some attempt to info from you to sell you more BS, so I put in an old zip. Then I saw the sign on the pump that said "billing zip required for personal security". Oh...Ok...

They really just wanted a way to slow down those Speed Pass guys with the key chain thingy...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Jul 29 2005, 01:27 PM)
I first saw it at a Mobil station when using a Mobil Card ...

well - no Mobil stations in this part of the world.
the Russian oil company "Lukoil" bought all the Mobil franchises.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.