Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you do with your 914 during the winter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
Just curious how others manage through the winter, especially in places that experience seasons.
fixer34
Other. Definately 4 seasons around here. When it gets into the 50's or lower, usually Nov thru April. Try to start it a couple times. Although I took it out one Christmas when it was 65 degrees.

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
So far (going on 3 winters), I work on my 914 restoration, just like in summer!
wonkipop
i only lived in a place with real winters a long time ago (chicago).
i stored the 914 in a big facility and i used to go out there very 3 -4 weeks and start it up and drive it around the block more than a few times if there was not too much snow.

get it real hot and properly warmed up for an hour or so and then put it away again.
disconnect the battery - until the next time.

it was a long winter in chicago.

i don't have to do that sh%t back here.
got the opposite problem. summer that is volcanic. beerchug.gif

mlindner
Best time of the year to fix things. After this summer being the first time on the road in 30 years the punch list is pretty long. Garage has heat, AC, wet bar and TV. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
930cabman
Exactly, we kick into overdrive for the winter months getting our summer sporting machines ready for the next season. This winter, everything from building a couple motors to a /6 conversion and tons in between.
Luckily our workshop is spacious, heated, .....
Gatornapper
In central VA, we have 4 distinct seasons, but compared to the mid-west and north of here they are short and mild - most of the winter - with spurts of frigid weather - it's 27 here now, but will reach 57 later.

But every month of winter we have some warm days - even Jan. & Feb. - and that's when I ride my motorcycles and drive the 914. None get "put up" for winter.

I do not drive it in snow or ice, but only because of its "rust-a-bility" factor.....but then I don't drive it in the rain either - if I can help it......

GN
PanelBilly
Yes to the 914 honey do list. And it time to give it a cleaning
BeatNavy
They don't salt the roads much where I live now, so if it's dry outside I'll drive it on a decent winter day - at least a couple times a month. Otherwise, she sits warm and dry in our garage.

When I lived and worked in NOVA I used to leave mine parked outside (other cars had priority, including my wife's) and drive it to work all winter unless there was actual snow on the roads. I would routinely take it to work on morning with temps in the teens. Then a few years ago I was under the car and looked at the front suspension I had just replaced the year before. Balls joints and all the other previously new hardware were nasty with corrosion and other junk. That brine stuff they use is NASTY.

I also saw the toll on the body just from sitting outside in the snow and rain. At that point, I was like "nope."

You guys in California and AZ may not know what winter is like for us Easterners/Midwest types:

IPB Image

Shivers
Here we have The Season, then we have hot, hotter and Holy Fuch! I've driven mine through all of it.
VaccaRabite
In theory, I park it during the off season. I'm cold tolerant, but driving a drafty 914 without heat below freezing is COLD. lol..

But if there is a nice day, the salt seems to be gone from the roads, and I'm not working/doing something with scouts/etc, I'm happy to get it out of the garage for some exercise.

Zach
Justinp71
I live in the california valley, winter is the driving season (so long its not raining), we're a bunch of sissy lala's too hot in the summer biggrin.gif ... A nice summer night can be fun though.
rjames
Other: If it’s dry outside then it gets driven, just like the rest of the year.
rmital
I try to drive the car at least once a week.
was suggested years ago on this site, if you take it out, drive it for "at least" 20 minutes or 10 miles....
….not just start it up and let it idle in the driveway.

but, I do live in the "great salt belt" NJ.
so if we do get snow (and we will) and they treat the roads; there's usually a warm spell where we'll get some rain to wash away the salt.
….then I get right out there and drive.

jagalyn
California Full Bag Car Cover. Zip it up. Keeps out moisture 360 degrees and dust.

Click to view attachment
jagalyn
Keep the mice or rodents away. Works great. 100% Organic.
SO.O.C914er
Winter here? Drive the s… out of it. That’s when my motor stays nice and cool. driving.gif
Olympic 914
Winter is when I work on it.
Set the valves, brake clearance etc.

This year I'll be putting the new studs in the front hubs to space the wheels out a bit.
Montreal914
Used to daily drive it year round and appreciate the heat exchangers in the winter.

Have been restoring it for a couple of years now... dry.gif

I miss driving it... sad.gif
jkb081
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 14 2021, 05:49 AM) *

Best time of the year to fix things. After this summer being the first time on the road in 30 years the punch list is pretty long. Garage has heat, AC, wet bar and TV. Best, MarkClick to view attachment

Your car looks awesome! I wish mine could look somewhat close to that some day.
jhynesrockmtn
Real winter here. The 914's and 356 generally get put up with a battery tender, fresh no E gas and stabil. The 914's for the last few winters have been undergoing major work. This winter the 70 resuscitation project started last winter gets the engine pulled for valve adjust, new 123 distributor, new RMS and clean up the engine and trans, check the clutch, injector renew, SS heat exchangers. This car had sat for years and last winter was brakes, new fuel and vacuum lines, tank reseal, trans bushings, new fuel pump, renewing heat systems, new tires/wheels, etc. It went from a non runner to regular use.

Click to view attachment

fordb132
I think they are fantastic winter cars and drive them every day.
Trying to stay away from the main roads with salt..
I don't have any newer cars so if I'm going somewhere
I have to drive one of the fourteeners.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.