Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake light on 1973
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
I just tried bleeding the brakes, I pulled up and cleaned and tried messing with the wires for the parking brake switch, nothing makes it stop flashing!

Any ideas? Should I try the switch again now that I bled the brakes?

This is one of the master cylinders without the little reset button.

It's been flashing since I had a shop 'flush' the fluid when I bought the car (8 months ago). After seeing the crap that came out when I bled them today I am not sure they actually did anything.
bdstone914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 14 2021, 03:43 PM) *

I just tried bleeding the brakes, I pulled up and cleaned and tried messing with the wires for the parking brake switch, nothing makes it stop flashing!

Any ideas? Should I try the switch again now that I bled the brakes?

This is one of the master cylinders without the little reset button.

It's been flashing since I had a shop 'flush' the fluid when I bought the car (8 months ago). After seeing the crap that came out when I bled them today I am not sure they actually did anything.

@emerygt350

Reset the switch on the master cylinder. When the pedal is pressed beyond the nornal range it trips the switch. There is a small pin in the center of the switch that needs to be pushed in.
emerygt350
This is the version without it. I wish I had a reset switch. I have the two wire version with a plastic divider between. Supposed to reset itself but not sure how that happens.
Van914
Check to see if you have a switch under the parking brake handle. It could be bad or handle not turning it off.
emerygt350
QUOTE(Van914 @ Dec 15 2021, 08:22 AM) *

Check to see if you have a switch under the parking brake handle. It could be bad or handle not turning it off.

Yep. I just dug into that. No continuity between the wire on that switch and the prong on the gauge. Pulled the offending wire from the gauge and left the other one on. I assume that one heads to the master cylinder. I checked out the continuity on the master cylinder and there was none so that looks likes it's working fine. That e brake switch wire must be shorted somewhere.

No more flashing light. Couldn't see it unless it was the darkest of dark nights anyway. Just knowing it was flashing got in my nerves though.
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
Hah! Now my e brake light works. So that must have been the master cylinder. Oh well. Not like I would even notice it unless it was pitch black out and my brakes failed.
Dave_Darling
Trust me, you'd notice if your brakes failed.... Especially at triple-digit speeds going into Turn 1 at Thunder Hill!

If your master cylinder switch does not have a reset button on it, someone may have grounded the brown/white wire that goes to it by mistake. That would keep the blinking light on.

--DD
emerygt350
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 16 2021, 02:22 PM) *

Trust me, you'd notice if your brakes failed.... Especially at triple-digit speeds going into Turn 1 at Thunder Hill!

If your master cylinder switch does not have a reset button on it, someone may have grounded the brown/white wire that goes to it by mistake. That would keep the blinking light on.

--DD

Yeah,I would notice the brakes, just not the sad little light flashing...

I will have to go digging for that wire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.