Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I really need to weld on an oil cooler fitting for 914/6 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi - the oil cooler on the 2.4 L has its factory fitting which appears to be just a hose clamp that keeps it from leaking. The Patrick Motorsports fit has a weld in tube that has a threaded fitting.

If the his clamp was good enough for an 911 would it be just fine to simply take the same approach on a 914/6?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Krieger
It's more than just the threads. The return line on the 6 oil cooler turns 90° after going by the cooler. The suspension mounting ear is right there.
targa72e
Issue is clearance for rubber hose to make the appropriate bend. The area between the cooler inlet and suspension mounting is very tight.

Click to view attachment

On my first conversion the connection was moved back for more room but had no support for the inlet.

Click to view attachment

several ways to get there.

john
mb911
I know perry has a threaded option.. I plan to research this a bit after the 1st of the year to make a simple ship able solution.

I need to get my hands on a later oil cooler.
Tdskip
Ah - so need a 90 degree bend which a hose won’t be able to make.

Got it - thanks!
gandalf_025
Factory 6 oil cooler..

Click to view attachment
Luke M
The problem with modifying a 911 oil cooler is this. If you are off on the supply pipe placement it will hit the inner suspension ear. It will also not allow you to remove the lower valve cover if the fitting is too far forward or inwards. Mark went through that on one of his oil cooler mods. If you look at the PMS mod it moves the suction pipe closer to the engine. There's no bend in it either. That would allow some room to move the hose around to clear things. Even with a factory 6 oil cooler installed it's a tight fit. Modifying a 911 oil cooler will work but take your time and make sure everything clears.

I thought that Mark was making up a bent pipe with a welded on fitting to sell? It's been a while now so I could be wrong on that. Sounds like Ben is also working on something too. I have a few org 6 oil coolers on hand that leak. I could take measurements if needed.

There was a thread started on this topic a few years ago. I maybe able to locate the thread. Will post it here if I find it.
Retroracer
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 16 2021, 06:06 AM) *

Ah - so need a 90 degree bend which a hose won’t be able to make.

Got it - thanks!

Yes! BTW Clewett Engineering (probably others) also offer this modification to 911 style coolers. FYI.

- Tony
roblav1
Another issue to watch for. Ben's left side heat exchanger interferes with a stock 914-6 oil cooler inlet. At least on mine it does. Very slightly, but they touch.
Luke M
Here's the thread I was thinking about.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=223639&hl=
rgalla9146

Another solution would be to harvest the fitting and tube from an early 911 cooler
and add a curved tube like McMark fabricated. Check the link Luke posted.
For me AN fittings are too bulky.
I try to stick as close to original as possible so the original hoses can be used.
IMHO
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 15 2021, 08:42 PM) *

Hi - the oil cooler on the 2.4 L has its factory fitting which appears to be just a hose clamp that keeps it from leaking. The Patrick Motorsports fit has a weld in tube that has a threaded fitting.

If the his clamp was good enough for an 911 would it be just fine to simply take the same approach on a 914/6?

You're asking the exact same questions as have been rolling around in my head. All the issues being discussed here have pretty much convinced me to go with a front cooler only approach. It's more work running the oil lines and installing the FMC, but living in Florida, its just a little more insurance for the heat. The filter mount from Taormina Racing is perfect for this and the extra filtration on the front end of the supply side is also a plus. Here's a pic from their site.
Click to view attachment

Dan
roblav1
Interesting setup there from Taormina Racing. 993 engines don't use an engine oil cooler, so you'll be fine with just a front cooler. You probably won't need a seperate oil thermostat either, the engine thermostat should suffice. It also looks like there's plenty of room for a simpler flexible intake hose. On my 72 911, that screw clamp into the cooler seemed funny after all the earlier 911's had the screw on fitting.

BTW, Taormina Sicily is a great place to go!
mepstein
QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Dec 16 2021, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 15 2021, 08:42 PM) *

You're asking the exact same questions as have been rolling around in my head. All the issues being discussed here have pretty much convinced me to go with a front cooler only approach. It's more work running the oil lines and installing the FMC, but living in Florida, its just a little more insurance for the heat. The filter mount from Taormina Racing is perfect for this and the extra filtration on the front end of the supply side is also a plus. Here's a pic from their site.
Click to view attachment

Dan

That's what I did. I figured if I was going to have a front cooler, why just use it as an accessory and not the main cooler. Moving the cooler off the engine has some extra advantages. Instead of dividing the airflow between the cooler and the cylinders, I could direct it 100% to the cylinders and cool the oil with fresh air at the front with 2 electric fans for stop and go situations. It's not the only way to do it but it made sense to me.
rgalla9146
Another solution.
Shorten the tube on an early 911 cooler.....welded or glued with a sleeve ( current
adhesives are quite capable...I hear ) then add a 90 degree elbow to the hose.
Will require some fabricated support for the modified tube.
IronHillRestorations
The cooler in the top picture can be modified by cutting the stub pipe off flush with the end of the cooler, tapping the tube for 3/4”NPT and threading an aluminum -12AN & 3/4” elbow fitting. The tricky part is indexing the threads so the fitting threads on and nearly bottoms out with the AN fitting pointed forward and about 5*down. I put a little JB weld on the male threads to seal and secure it. It’s on the suction side of the system system so it’s not subject to the pressure as the return side.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Dec 16 2021, 10:13 PM) *

Interesting setup there from Taormina Racing. 993 engines don't use an engine oil cooler, so you'll be fine with just a front cooler. You probably won't need a seperate oil thermostat either, the engine thermostat should suffice. It also looks like there's plenty of room for a simpler flexible intake hose. On my 72 911, that screw clamp into the cooler seemed funny after all the earlier 911's had the screw on fitting.

BTW, Taormina Sicily is a great place to go!

Don't want to tangent too much from the original thread, but on the topic of thermostats, the engine thermostat works on the pressure side. Since the FMC is on the scavenge side, ideally that's where the thermo needs to be located. On the pressure side, the engine thermo needs to be made where it's permanently open, flowing fully to the new filter, since it's in place of the old engine cooler, and due to restrictions through the new filter, the pressure needs to be boosted. These are the tidbits I've dug up so far researching changes in the 993/996 oil circuits.

Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.