Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 914 I won and refused after the title issue is back on BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ddx77

I am interested in seeing where this goes this time.

1971 914 on BAT

NARP74
QUOTE(ddx77 @ Dec 16 2021, 04:17 PM) *

I am interested in seeing where this goes this time.

1971 914 on BAT

popcorn[1].gif
NARP74
Good looking car. What was your bid?
jim_hoyland
VIN database shows the car was owned by Type47.
A search on type47 posts indicates owner paseed away. Wife may have sold it.
ddx77

I won it for $20k, but the previous salvage title was not mentioned in the original auction. So when I went to transfer the title my tag person here in Florida told me they could only issue a "rebuilt title". So quite honestly as much as I loved the look of the car, it wasn't worth having a branded title. It may not matter to most, but it bothered me.

The seller was very cool about it and sent me al my money back and BAT refunded my buyers fee too, no hassle from anyone.

Drew

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 16 2021, 06:41 PM) *

Good looking car. What was your bid?

Big Len
IDK, 50 year old car with a rebuilt title.....I don't know if it means that much. $20K was a pretty good price for this.
flipb
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 16 2021, 06:44 PM) *

VIN database shows the car was owned by Type47.
A search on type47 posts indicates owner paseed away. Wife may have sold it.

type47 was Jim McLeod, lived near me and I met him a couple of times. Wonderful guy; highly respected. Offered me the use of his garage and lift anytime. I would 100% trust his notes in the VIN database. Though admittedly, it's been a few years since he died and I can only presume this car has been appropriately cared for since then.
mepstein
I’m pretty sure he sold it before he passed away. I was helping his wife with his cars and that one was not in the collection. So 5+ years.
Robarabian
Click on the video.. the driving one.. engine sounds sorta bad... is it me?
r_towle
New paint job, worth it.
Sounds like a wonky muffler, engine sounds ok
Cracker
You're correct...it sounds miserably s-l-o-w. rolleyes.gif

Cracker

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 16 2021, 08:06 PM) *

Click on the video.. the driving one.. engine sounds sorta bad... is it me?
ddx77
Paint job and that interior job was worth it to me. But again, I got hung up on the title issue.

From they were telling me, if someone from NY buys it, there's no issue. But of course there will be for the next guy if he or she is in a title state.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 16 2021, 08:32 PM) *

New paint job, worth it.

Shivers
He posted:

"The issue with Salvage titles is that some insurance companies ( including Collector types) will not insure vehicles with a Salvage title. If buyer wants to have vehicle coverage better check around. Otherwise any future loss is at your own risk. As it hasb been said “Caveat Emptor”
dstudeba
Am I missing something but where is the color plate for this car? It seems to be missing in the picture below. The reason I ask is because there is a mention in the comments of some green showing however if it was a color change I expect it would be more apparent in the accident photos.

Click to view attachment
eric9144
Find this all interesting, totally get your concern over a 'salvage/rebuilt' title branding and I fully agree it effects value long term and potential insurability etc.

The interesting part to me is that FL has always been one of the states that's been a title washing state--where there's loopholes in the system that allow shady individuals to actually scrub those designations off the title and get them issued clean... There was at least one notable instance with a car on this forum stirthepot.gif
ddx77

You are correct, and living in Florida I figured I was going to be okay when I transferred it. But seems until recently they have cracked down on the state and now watch things very closely. Having lived here now since 1982, a lot has changed. It's still pretty lax compared to most states but not what it used to be.

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Dec 17 2021, 11:20 AM) *

Find this all interesting, totally get your concern over a 'salvage/rebuilt' title branding and I fully agree it effects value long term and potential insurability etc.

The interesting part to me is that FL has always been one of the states that's been a title washing state--where there's loopholes in the system that allow shady individuals to actually scrub those designations off the title and get them issued clean... There was at least one notable instance with a car on this forum stirthepot.gif

rhodyguy
The painting over of the fender/cowl welting is a nice touch and another BIG red flag.
ddx77

Sold for $25k.
914sgofast2
PT Barnum was right!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ddx77 @ Dec 16 2021, 06:01 PM) *

Paint job and that interior job was worth it to me. But again, I got hung up on the title issue.

From they were telling me, if someone from NY buys it, there's no issue. But of course there will be for the next guy if he or she is in a title state.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 16 2021, 08:32 PM) *

New paint job, worth it.

I wouldn't be so sure, NY is pretty hardcore about previous salvage history. My 993 had salvage back in 2005, they caught it and made me do the full NY salvage inspection. The car passed but it was a long hour while I waited.
Cairo94507
They apparently could not install the front turn signal lenses correctly either.....attention to detail. I hope the car is solid and the new owner is happy. The fender welting, rear valance are minor issues. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.