Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel sloshing around
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
I noticed that modern gas tanks have baffolding to keep gas from sloshing around when you are driving.

I dont think there's much of any baffolds in the 914 tank so I am wondering would it be wise to keep your fuel tank very full

Seems like when I had one gallon of gas then added about two more for total of three gallons I started to notice a gas odor in my unvented garage in the a.m.

I also noticed that after only ten months my charcoal canister was stinky with gas so I changed the pellets again

I have not even run the car or stares it since I added gas
Mark Henry
There is a slosh ring around the inlet, if you take off the top part off of the tank you can see it clearly.
I always try to keep a full tank out of habit, plus it stops internal rusting.

Your canister will get stinky...that's it's job. If you can smell gas with the tank is capped you have a fuel leak or vapour leak somewhere. Carbs can have a gas smell especially after running, regular complaint.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Medtner3 @ Dec 17 2021, 02:10 PM) *

I noticed that modern gas tanks have baffolding to keep gas from sloshing around when you are driving.

I dont think there's much of any baffolds in the 914 tank so I am wondering would it be wise to keep your fuel tank very full

Seems like when I had one gallon of gas then added about two more for total of three gallons I started to notice a gas odor in my unvented garage in the a.m.

I also noticed that after only ten months my charcoal canister was stinky with gas so I changed the pellets again

@Medtner
There is a full height metal baffle in the middle of the tank. I think the bottom is very open. The rest has large holes. I dont think the baffles ave much to do with the gas odor you smell.
Medtner3
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 17 2021, 02:59 PM) *

There is a slosh ring around the inlet, if you take off the top part off of the tank you can see it clearly.
I always try to keep a full tank out of habit, plus it stops internal rusting.

Your canister will get stinky...that's it's job. If you can smell gas with the tank is capped you have a fuel leak or vapour leak somewhere. Carbs can have a gas smell especially after running, regular complaint.

I can smell gas around the canister so I changed the pellets today
Mikey914
My guess, one of these seals. Easy to check both at same time.
Medtner3
All those have been replaced. Like I said I smell gas odor around the canister , not the expansion tank
Mikey914
Sometimes it's hard to pin down.I do have a new hose kit that covers everything back to the engine compartment if you need it.
Just let me know if that's the direction you want to go.
One last thing. On the seals that are in contact with the gas, we make ours out of Viton, NOT rubber. We found early on that the rubber will not do well with gas or gas fumes and will leak.

How can you tell ours are Viton? we spend the extra money to buy the cinnamon scented Viton. Because it's almost impossible to tell the difference, and we did make some mistakes in the past getting the product mixed up. We've been doing this ( the scented Viton) now for over 4 years. Not saying they are the problem, but you may not be able to rule them out so easily. Where did you buy the seals?
Mark
Medtner3
After draining gas, changing fuel line, fuel cap gasket, replace one fuel line , changing charcoal canister pellets and sealing canister: I had no detectable gas odor with just a tiny amount of gas

Today added three gallons and was careful not to splash or spill any and the garage smells like gas again

Was thinking maybe if trying a Freon leak detector because I’m baffled

Have already replaced sensing unit gaskets and expansion tank I have two gaskets was thinking of adding a third gasket under the metal ring

I have not replaced the hard plastic line to the charcoal canister I was told these never leak but who knows

I have already replaced the gas tank with one from AA
Edit: tightened up bolts around evap metal ring I’m afraid I will strip them if they’re any more tighter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.