Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Title Transfer issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLKWrx
Hi all,

I'd assume that most of you are familiar with the process of title transfers, so I need some help. My situation is like this:

I bought a car, the guy left it in NJ when he went away.. he sold it to me for next to nothing just to be rid of it. Mailed me the title, and that was the last I've heard from him. Reading the NJ DMV website, it says I need a bill of sale and a sales tax form verifying that I paid the 6% tax on the car.

I have no bill of sale, nor did I pay 6% tax on it.. any advice? If I just walk in there with a title, proof of ins, and my license, will I have an issue?

Thanks
-- Steve
URY914
You could always go down there and play dumb and see what happens.

Does it say the Bill of Sale needs to be noterized? If not just make one up.

If you paid $1000 for it tell them that sales tax is included. Price of the car was $940 and sales tax was $60. (I'm sure you math guys will tell me I'm a little bit off on my numbers rolleyes.gif )

I'm sure it has happened before.

P

RON S.
I learned your lesson a long time ago hear in my state.

Same problem,my DMV wouldn't even consider my transfer w/o a bill of sale from the original owner.

I ended up havin to take a S.C. bill o' sale back to the original owner outa state just to get a legit signature and notary stamp.

Now,if I go the outa state route,I take all the paperwork I need,to satisfy my state,plus i get all the paperwork from the sellers home state.

If I can't get the papers,then no sale.It ain't worth the hassle making long drives or writing letters.

Another avenue I've found to take care of title issues is this.

Most every county in this nation has some there that runs titles everymonth as a side line business.

Usually it is a Deputy,or someone in the towing business.

They are out there,you just gotta find'em.They usually charge around $100.00
and you might have to wait a couple months to get your title,but I've used'em they work.

Ron
lapuwali
I'd say it would depend a lot more on what PA wants than what NJ wants. I'd also say you shouldn't have to pay sales tax if you don't live in NJ.

markb
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 29 2005, 06:20 AM)
I'd say it would depend a lot more on what PA wants than what NJ wants. I'd also say you shouldn't have to pay sales tax if you don't live in NJ.

agree.gif
jonwatts
agree.gif with sugar on top
SLKWrx
Ack, sorry guys, forgot to mention, the car is going to be registered in NJ. My garage is over there as well as my house, I just work in Philly.
cooltimes
You never pay sales tax to an individual unless they are authorized by whatever state they sell vehicles in. Buying from an individual who is NOT authorized as a dealer DOES NOT require you to have paid any sales tax. That will happen ONLY when you apply for a title at the DMV that sells license plates.

Like someone said, get a bill of sale from someone declaring the make, model and VIN as well as a price. Let that be your secret if it is from anyone other than who actually sold you the car.
DMV clerks are interested in taxes and fees only, not who actually signed a piece of paper saying they sold you the 914. Just don't make up one yourself and sign it as they may notice the similarty in the handwriting.

Mike

Memphis
lapuwali
Throw yourself on the mercy of the DMV, then. I'm sure it's possible to get all the paperwork taken care of, perhaps after you sign an affadavit stating you really own the car. You may have to pay a penalty or extra processing fee.
type11969
I recently bought a used car in NJ, I did not need a bill of sale. On the title itself there are places to fill out sale price, odo reading, signatures, etc by the previous owner. This is your bill of sale. When you go to the DMV, they will see this sale price and tax you on it. Bring your checkbook! And proof of insurance.

At least on the title of the car I bought were sections like this.
mudfoot76
QUOTE (type11969 @ Jul 29 2005, 03:05 PM)
I recently bought a used car in NJ, I did not need a bill of sale. On the title itself there are places to fill out sale price, odo reading, signatures, etc by the previous owner. This is your bill of sale. When you go to the DMV, they will see this sale price and tax you on it. Bring your checkbook! And proof of insurance.

At least on the title of the car I bought were sections like this.

This is how it works in Indiana too. Look at the title, either on the front or back there should be an area for seller and buyer to fill out information on the sale. You may also be required to fill out a "bill of sale" at the time you register, but that seems less important than having the current title.

Also, you should not have to pay tax until you register the car under your own name.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.