Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vibration Dampeners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Mistakenly I did not see the memo regarding the installation of the vibration dampeners. Many times I have read the Haynes, Clymer and Factory manuals about the case assembly and saw nothing about the vibration dampeners. I now know the plastic dampeners appear to be fit to the case through bolts and the case half married to the other case half. The factory manual makes no mention of these plastic dampeners. What is the worst thing that could happen if I run without them??

BTW - my first T4 engine build
Highland
Are you referring to the plastic pieces that snap onto the case bolts? I thought they came with the gasket kit and are replaced during rebuild.

I just assumed they kept the bolts centered and prevented any movement from heat cycling and vibration to avoid change in bolt torque. But just a total guess. Waiting for someone who actually knows to chime in popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
I've always just thought of them as an assembly alignment/holding tool. I'm totally guessing in theory the engine could cause harmonics that could break the thin case bolts, but I'd need to see the proof of that.
I know it comes down to the old adage that "if VW didn't think the part was needed it wouldn't be there," but it would also be there if it sped up their engine assembly.

If you're stressing about it LN sells an ARP case bolt kit for $250. It doesn't use the dampeners, but you need your engine down to the short block to install.

I'd never recommend the ARP kit for a stock-ish build...but you're special. biggrin.gif
930cabman
I was along the same thinking - why would VW/Porsche use something if it wasn't needed??

and it's possible a harmonic could be generated, and tear the case bolts apart .....

Thanks for your insight
krazykonrad
Could someone post a picture? I've got my engine torn down to the short block and I don't see what y'all are talking about.

Thanks,
Konrad
Mark Henry
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Dec 20 2021, 08:42 AM) *

Could someone post a picture? I've got my engine torn down to the short block and I don't see what y'all are talking about.

Thanks,
Konrad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7629315

IPB Image
IPB Image
930cabman
Thanks for digging this up Mark, great information
930cabman
I spoke with a local old timer (trained at the VW school many years ago) a short time ago and he informed me he has built dozens of T4 engines over the years without the plastic vibration dampeners and never an incident.
krazykonrad
Thanks for the pic! No wonder I couldn't see them. They are inside the case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.