Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: @$#%$%^&%$$$#!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Last night I went over to Wayne's and we took a second look at the 914 he was doing the PPI on. Nice car. Some minor rust issues, but nothing structural. It sounds really good..... biggrin.gif

When I got home, I put a 1 gallon can of gasoline in the gas tank well of my car, and put the hoses in there. Then I ran the fuel pump to check for leaks.

First thought... hey.. no leaks... everything is nice and tight.

Second thought.. that pump sounds awful loud.....

Third thought ....SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT.... THE F@#KING PUMP IS LEAKING

Now I have to shell out for a replacement MFI fuel pump...

headbang.gif

ClayPerrine
I just called Zim's (our local Porsche parts place) and they have a REBUILT pump for 200.00. Better than the 350.00 I was seeing in the catalogs last night....

This just sucks....... headbang.gif

One step forward, 3 backward.

We need a :burning money: smiley....
ematulac
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 29 2005, 06:48 AM)
I just called Zim's (our local Porsche parts place) and they have a REBUILT pump for 200.00. Better than the 350.00 I was seeing in the catalogs last night....

This just sucks....... headbang.gif

One step forward, 3 backward.

We need a :burning money: smiley....

These cars leak money faster than they can leak oil. biggrin.gif
DougC
Clay I can totally relate! Everytime I turn around there's a new unforseen cost to this project of mine. The latest is the need to replace all exhaust studs because header flanges are too thin for the stock ones - didn't see that coming..oh, and I bent a couple of oil return tubes and they now need replacing (sucks!). I haven't hooked my fuel pump up yet so I hope mine is still good. I still don't have my stock oil cooler mod done yet..it's a puzzle that's not easily solved without big bucks. BTW, you mentioned that Zim's had a stock 914/6 oil cooler but when I asked they didn't know anything about it. Did you actually see it? Who should I ask? OOps, I've highjacked your rant - sorry. biggrin.gif Don't worry we'll get these cars up and running before you know it. Good luck to you.

Doug C
Sparky
QUOTE (ematulac @ Jul 29 2005, 06:02 AM)
These cars leak money faster than they can leak oil. biggrin.gif

They don't leak oil... they mark their territory unsure.gif
ClayPerrine
This just pisses me off because I thought I was ready to start the car.

Everything else is ready, and now the F'ing fuel pump turns out to be bad.

Looking on the bright side, at least I have not put the gas tank in yet!!! wink.gif
mikerose
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 29 2005, 05:48 AM)
Better than the 350.00 I was seeing in the catalogs last night....

I got one from GPR in January try 425.00

Mike cool_shades.gif
redshift
sawzall-smiley.gif

Time to give the jackstands a rest... gimme your motor.

M
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 29 2005, 08:34 AM)
sawzall-smiley.gif

Time to give the jackstands a rest... gimme your motor.

M

Hey Miles... finger.gif

After 5 years I am NOT giving up now. A stupid fuel pump may be frustrating, but it is not a show stopper.

redshift
Hey man! I never said give up.

You could change the plan... part your car out, get a CIS 3.0...

confused24.gif Just trying to help.

(dibs on the complete motor, with new pump)

M
lapuwali
A fuel pump is a fuel pump. So long as it delivers the required volume and can pump against the required pressure, any pump will do. No need to go with the high buck Bosch unit if you don't want to. The Alfa-SPICA mechanical fuel injection systems required an inlet pressure at the pump of 7psi, no more. I'd be surprised if the Bosch MFI pump's requirements are all that different. There must be several aftermarket pumps that will work, and are substantially cheaper than the Bosch units, even rebuilt.
SLITS
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 29 2005, 07:43 AM)
A fuel pump is a fuel pump. So long as it delivers the required volume and can pump against the required pressure, any pump will do. No need to go with the high buck Bosch unit if you don't want to. The Alfa-SPICA mechanical fuel injection systems required an inlet pressure at the pump of 7psi, no more. I'd be surprised if the Bosch MFI pump's requirements are all that different. There must be several aftermarket pumps that will work, and are substantially cheaper than the Bosch units, even rebuilt.

But, but , but.....it's not Porsche OE dry.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 29 2005, 08:42 AM)
Hey man! I never said give up.

You could change the plan... part your car out, get a CIS 3.0...

confused24.gif Just trying to help.

(dibs on the complete motor, with new pump)

M

Rich Johnson has a 3.0 CIS motor for sale right now.

Wish I could convince myself that I need it for my next 914.... wink.gif

As for the type of fuel pump... I want to make sure that I get the correct pressure (10psi) and volume needed for the MFI. I am not sure of the volume requirement, so I will stick with the OEM.

Otherwise I would be looking for an aftermarket pump....

Wait, I have a mallory efi pump sitting on a shelf at home. It definitely could handle the volume, but can I drop the pressure enough without blowing something up?

skline
I use a Mallory in the Chalon, it is fully adjustable. It can go from 1 PSI all the way to like 22 PSI.
914GT
Was the old pump dried out with no gas in it for awhile? If so, I've had them leak for awhile and once the rubber o-rings swell up a bit when exposed to gas, it'll stop leaking. You might try it again after 24 hours and see if it still leaks.
SpecialK
"@$#%$%^&%$$$#!!!!, This Sucks!!!"

Easy on the foul language Clay, this is a "family garage". rolleyes.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (914GT @ Jul 29 2005, 11:31 AM)
Was the old pump dried out with no gas in it for awhile? If so, I've had them leak for awhile and once the rubber o-rings swell up a bit when exposed to gas, it'll stop leaking. You might try it again after 24 hours and see if it still leaks.

Somehow I don't think that will work. The pump sounded like a grinder running against a piece of rebar, and it was geyzering gasoline all over the place.

After having an engine fire in a 914, the 200.00 bucks for a rebuilt pump is cheap insurance. smile.gif
914GT
They normally make noise until the air is completely purged out. with your previous bad luck I can understand wanting to replace it.
jimkelly
see tis thread $150 for 4060fi
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...5147&hl=mallory
ArtechnikA
i agree it sucks and i'd be in the same boat if mine failed.
but look on the bright side ("it can *always* be worse...") - at first i thought you were ranting that the *injection* pump was leaking.

that's not only big money, it's lotsa time...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 29 2005, 01:10 PM)
i agree it sucks and i'd be in the same boat if mine failed.
but look on the bright side ("it can *always* be worse...") - at first i thought you were ranting that the *injection* pump was leaking.

that's not only big money, it's lotsa time...

Actually, that would not be too bad. I have a spare injection pump. biggrin.gif

mightyohm
The fuel volume spec is in the Bosch manuals somewhere. It is given as x liters per minute. Where x is some number. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Did you ever have one of those days?

Ok.. here's an update on the potential starting of my /6 after 5 years......

I got the rebuilt pump from Zim's this morning and got it installed. Rolled the car outside and tried to start it. It spins over and it has oil pressure. It does not fire.

I check and there is no gas at the MFI pump, but the fuel pump is running....... screwy.gif

I pull the feed hose off the fuel filter console. Yep, got gas here.

So I pull the fuel filter console out. Turns out that there is a fitting on an MFI fuel filter console that acts a both a pressure regulator (holds the fuel pressure at 12 psi) and a check valve. Guess what?? I had it on the INPUT side of the fuel filter console. headbang.gif

Now I can open the air bleed screw on the top of the fuel filter console, and I get fuel. Still won't start. headbang.gif

Spend about 2 hours fooling with it and I finally realize that the 911 feeds fuel in the OTHER side of the MFI filter console. The one I had the pump pressure line hooked to only goes to the check valve and then back to the tank. The MFI injection pump is not in the fuel loop! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

I try to hook it up correctly, and the fuel lines are too short. headbang.gif

After a trip to Pep-Boys to buy bulk EFI fuel hose, I am replumbing the filter console when Jason Fox calls. He is having a problem with pulling the motor on his car.

We run over there and I help get the cables off the bottom of the motor. When I get back, it's too late to go back to the car.

So, tomorrow is the day. Hopefully it starts.

Aaron Cox
wow clay.....bad day. have a beer, go back at it tomorrow....

have fun
AA
Dead Air
Yeah, well. you know. life sucks. Buy the shit, put it in, driving-girl.gif drive away.
redshift
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 29 2005, 11:03 AM)
Rich Johnson has a 3.0 CIS motor for sale right now.  

Wish I could convince myself that I need it  for my next 914....   wink.gif

Goof! You need it for *this* one!

Man, since you have a 2.4 up for sale, and you are in a bind, I'll give you $5 more than anyone else... you pay shipping.

Glad to hear you finally found out what your problem is.. wink.gif

M
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jul 30 2005, 07:54 PM)
wow clay.....bad day. have a beer, go back at it tomorrow....

have fun
AA

I doan think he drinks....time to smoke a bowl.... smoke.gif
redshift
Great! No wonder his car doesn't run!

M
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 30 2005, 09:05 PM)
Man, since you have a 2.4 up for sale, and you are in a bind, I'll give you $5 more than anyone else... you pay shipping.

In that case, I offer you $24,995 for the motor. biggrin.gif

(Offer not valid if Miles wusses out. wink.gif )

--DD
redshift
I'll give you 495,000 Iraqi dinar. huh.gif

You'd almost be half a millionaire. ohmy.gif

(shush dave!!) dry.gif

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2005, 11:42 PM)
The MFI injection pump is not in the fuel loop!
I try to hook it up correctly, and the fuel lines are too short.

some of that stuff i knew, some of it, like the check valve and the specific plumbing to the filter console, i haven't got into yet. you can believe that when i do the short-term converstion on my car from MFI to carbs (only to go back again, some day...) i will be documenting every hose and connection *real* well...

on my car all the hoses are identical black hoses and it'd be quite an adventure (not unlike yours i'm sure...) trying to figure it out again from scratch...

we all have our adventures - today is the day i pull the engine from the Subie - i've never done an auto-trans car before...
redshift
Good luck Rich, I doubt you'll need much... study that motor good, so you can explain it when I break one.

smile.gif

M
spare time toys
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 31 2005, 06:11 AM)
I'll give you 495,000 Iraqi dinar. huh.gif

You'd almost be half a millionaire. ohmy.gif

(shush dave!!) dry.gif

M

Aint that like $400 wacko.gif Last I checked a million was around $800 wacko.gif Dont ask how I know sad.gif
redshift
No man, they've gone up... don't ask how I know..

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.