Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome elements - please help with identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RafalKurda
Hi all, I'm Rafał and I'm from Poland. Sorry for the mistakes smile.gif.
I am asking you for help in identifying the Porsche 914, whether all Porsche 914 with a 1.8L engine should have chrome around the windshield (I have a gasket consisting of one element - in PET there is a gasket consisting of several parts), side hinged windows and on the back around the rollbar? On the Internet, there are cars with an ordinary black rubber gasket in the front, I can also see cars with side windows with a black pillar, but I have not found any car where there is no chrome around rollbar. what it depends on?
My car is blue from 1975 and has no chrome
Greetings
Freezin 914
welcome.png Hi Rafal, your car is a 74’ . I used to own your car. Your car has all the trim painted black I bought the car that way. Some cars had all the trim blacked out. Your car is one of them. The orange car you pictured above also has blacked out trim around the roll bar.
Don’t really have much information on your car as I only owned it about 2 years. Was in Michigan, then in Wisconsin for several years.
I assume the car is running and still has carbs? I never heard it run while I owned it. Was tinkering with other cars at the moment.
Congratulations on your car and hope you enjoy it!
CheeRS!
914Sixer
Blacked out chrome NEVER came from the factory EXCEPT on the LE Creamsicle and Bumblebee rollbar trim.
RafalKurda
Freezin 914
Thank you for your answer, and do you have any information about the engine number? The seller says it is 1975, it is currently mono-injection, but the seller is adding a second engine on carburettors. Do you know any history of this car? Do you have any photos?
RafalKurda
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 22 2021, 02:21 PM) *

Blacked out chrome NEVER came from the factory EXCEPT on the LE Creamsicle and Bumblebee rollbar trim.

Thank you very much for your answer. What about the windshield rubber seal? In PET and on the Internet, there is a multi-piece black rubber and I have a one-piece black rubber and the car seller gave me a second one, also a black one-piece rubber.
Shivers
QUOTE(RafalKurda @ Dec 22 2021, 05:32 AM) *

Thank you very much for your answer. What about the windshield rubber seal? In PET and on the Internet, there is a multi-piece black rubber and I have a one-piece black rubber and the car seller gave me a second one, also a black one-piece rubber.

Factory trim around wind screen was butyl rubber to seal glass to frame. Plastic clips held the polished metal finish trim around outside of glass.

welcome.png Video on process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caoslhYlE1U
Freezin 914
QUOTE(RafalKurda @ Dec 22 2021, 07:27 AM) *

Freezin 914
Thank you for your answer, and do you have any information about the engine number? The seller says it is 1975, it is currently mono-injection, but the seller is adding a second engine on carburettors. Do you know any history of this car? Do you have any photos?

Don’t know to much. Car was in Plainwell, MIchigan. Titled in 2014.
Then sold to a friend of mine which just stored the car until I purchased it in 2017. I Sold the car in 2019.
I believe the car to have been painted once. Trunks and engine bay appeared to be Original paint. I purchased the car to do a mild restoration/build. Then fell into a deal on a 911 and then found very clean 914 2.0L car. So I sold a total of 3 914’s in 2 yrs.
The car had a 1.8 with dual carbs on it when purchased. I did not do anything with the car since a purchased it. It was going to be a long term build.
For your privacy, I will not post full vin. But your VIN starts with 474 indicating it is a 74. I do not have the engine number on file but it is indicated on my folder for the car which I made as having a 1.8L. Paint code L96B (Alaska blue metallic) which is posted on the tag inside the drivers door between the door hinges.
Here are 2 pictures of the car as purchased, then the night it was sold.
Freezin 914
The night it sold.
RafalKurda
QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 22 2021, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(RafalKurda @ Dec 22 2021, 05:32 AM) *

Factory trim around wind screen was butyl rubber to seal glass to frame. Plastic clips held the polished metal finish trim around outside of glass.

welcome.png Video on process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caoslhYlE1U

Thank you very much for the video, it is very helpful. In my car, the glass is installed differently, there are no clips and a butyl gasket. There is a rubber gasket that is mounted around the windshield and the whole thing is pressed into the car body. I do not know if someone has chosen a replacement for another car that has never been produced by Porsche or it is a cheaper option instead of chrome strips. In PET there is nowhere information about a rubber gasket consisting of one element. I can't take a picture now, but it is similar to the picture
RafalKurda
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Dec 22 2021, 03:54 PM) *

Don’t know to much. Car was in Plainwell, MIchigan. Titled in 2014.
Then sold to a friend of mine which just stored the car until I purchased it in 2017. I Sold the car in 2019.
I believe the car to have been painted once. Trunks and engine bay appeared to be Original paint. I purchased the car to do a mild restoration/build. Then fell into a deal on a 911 and then found very clean 914 2.0L car. So I sold a total of 3 914’s in 2 yrs.
The car had a 1.8 with dual carbs on it when purchased. I did not do anything with the car since a purchased it. It was going to be a long term build.
For your privacy, I will not post full vin. But your VIN starts with 474 indicating it is a 74. I do not have the engine number on file but it is indicated on my folder for the car which I made as having a 1.8L. Paint code L96B (Alaska blue metallic) which is posted on the tag inside the drivers door between the door hinges.
Here are 2 pictures of the car as purchased, then the night it was sold.

Tomorrow I will be with the car and I will have documents, I will check my vin and I will contact you to confirm. The car is now in mono-injection and the seller adds a second engine using two carburetors. The seller claims that the car has a matching number that can be confirmed with a certificate from Porsche. He also claims that the car is completely painted, never painted.
Dion
welcome.png Hello and good luck with your 914. The molding you describe is an aftermarket
piece. I don’t believe Porsche ever offered it.
One of our very good vendors sells a version.
https://914rubber.com/rubber-replacement-fo...hield-molding-1

Some people black out the anodized aluminum because of scratches. It was popular in the 1980’s. It’s just a cosmetic preference. You could always remove and restore them. Not cheap. New repro are available. Again spend what is worth to you.

Your car looks pretty clean. Hope it treats you well. Have fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.