Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I have a stock or aftermarket tuna can /oil sump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R Dub
Does anyone know if the tuna can / oil sump I have on my 2.0 is stock or is it aftermarket / larger. From what I've seen in the Haynes manual the stock seems flush with the bottom of the case and mine is not

IPB Image
Dustin
Deep sump. Aftermarket.
brant
There are no stock “tuna cans”

But don’t canyon carve without one

It’s a good piece to have.
R Dub
Appreciate the input.
FlacaProductions
It's a combo - aftermarket can using a stock cover.
NARP74
My car used to race, not me, it is much lower than stock. How worried would I have to be about dragging that thing all over the tarmac?
914werke
I wouldnt worry too much, the Eng. bar is at the same or lower point as that Tuna can.
Just dont go tearing over any speed bumps. santa_smiley.gif
R Dub
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 24 2021, 09:40 AM) *

I wouldnt worry too much, the Eng. bar is at the same or lower point as that Tuna can.

Agreed, it doesn't sit low enough to scrape the ground but I am very careful over speed bumps and curbs anyways.

I hope to do a trackday with the car next year and this was one mod I saw is recommended (along with a oil cooler which it has) so I'm glad it has it.
brant
I’ve always run tuna cans on my street car
Started using one in the mid 80’s

Have never had a clearance issue

It’s not going to drag unless you go over a curb or something that was going to cause damage anyways
second wind
How much additional oil does a tuna can add? Is it really worth it? What benefits does it provide? Any drawbacks? Thank you very much!
gg
914werke
QUOTE(second wind @ Dec 26 2021, 12:22 AM) *

How much additional oil does a tuna can add? Is it really worth it? What benefits does it provide? Any drawbacks? Thank you very much!
gg

it adds about 4-500 ml Yes. HERE
stownsen914
The advantage of a tuna can isn't the extra volume per se - it's more about keeping the oil pickup submerged in oil. The tuna can keeps more of it right next to the pickup instead of sloshing all the way to the edges of the crankcase in high g situations.
bkrantz
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 24 2021, 08:40 AM) *

Very good advice. I had a tuna can on my 914 race car when I went wide after turn 1 at Hallet (mid 90s). The car straddled the aggressive alligator teeth they had recently installed, and tore off the can. Somehow I was able to react fast enough to the oil light and shut it down before any bearing damage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.