Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: voltmeter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Ok, so current meter has 2 lugs + / - and a light socket

Newer meter has 3 lugs, + / - and a middle lug off a stud between the other two (and the light socket)

If I connect just the two wires to the + / - it does not work sad.gif

Anyone have exp with wiring a 3 wire guage?
qa1142
icon_bump.gif

No answers? What do I pay you all for anyway? slap.gif
ClayPerrine
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I realize the risk of losing your Guy License, but have you read the instructions? Maybe looked at the labels for the terminals? The Cap'n, who would never tell if you did ...............
qa1142
Captin, I used to like you...

first how many guages from 197X still have instructions with them?

Second the part number is same as the two pole I am replacing.

Third, I don't want to burn it up since I may have to send it back to person I got it from.

four - I should have posted pictures, I'll do it thie weekend. High res, 3.2M pixles laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
So, how are the posts (lugs) identified? If it's an OE instrument, there'll be little labels stamped in the case. Ya gotta help us here! The Cap'n
qa1142
pictures

qa1142
qa1142
markb
+ is hot, - is ground, G is gauge (sender).
qa1142
first picture shows the + and - that a 2 lug guage has, unit does not work with only those wires connected. something with the center, that looks like a ground to me.

I just thought one of us would have had experience with this style. Back looks like Oil Temp, front says 914 641 115 10

side says
332 304/7/1 11.73

rest is near perfect (face) likely not to get another one this clean
wilchek
hope this helps I don't have that center post
wilchek
wiring
wilchek
serial # appear to be the same
qa1142
yep, that is how mine is wired - exactly

If you just hook up those wires to + and - it does not work sad.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Jul 29 2005, 03:07 PM)
yep, that is how mine is wired - exactly

If you just hook up those wires to + and - it does not work sad.gif

you DO have a volt meter correct? and you have checked continuity between the posts??

are you testing it with a battery or what??
Dave_Darling
The pics did not show us the labels next to the wire terminals. What do the labels say?

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
See, the question has been answered by actually LOOKING at the unit! + is +, - is -, and G is gauge. It appears NOT to be a volt meter. The book shows ONLY 2 wires for that instrument. In the absence of any other information, I think it's been molested. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.