Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hen's Teeth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nynone4
Saw these on the Samba - no affiliation with the seller, but I thought these might look kinda cool on a 5-bolt conversion or old six. Never seen these wheels in the smaller Porsche pattern.

EMPI 5-Spokes
rhodyguy
the offset and bolt pattern would be helpful in that samba ad. kinda spendy for wheels that need refinishing. i'm looking at an old vwtrends with a wheel buying guide. if those match the ones listed, 15x5.5 +13mm offset and 5x205mm bolt pattern, they are VERY over priced.

k
pete-stevers
yup I am thinkin those wheels should be a helluva lot less...somebody is screwy.gif
Mueller
early real EMPI's like these , not the cheap 1 piece 8spoke design and cheaper american racing knockoff rims have a collectors value to them amongst many VW Bug guys.

rare and "different", such as the 5-lug Mahle make them worth more to those that want them....

rhodyguy
This is for a set or four Empi 5 spoke Porsche pattern wheels with caps!
All faces in great shape, one wheel has been repaired.
This is a late set of wheels that take shoulder lug nuts instead of ball seat.
Never been polished, still have rough finish.

well the ad is sure confusing to me. "this is a late set of wheels..." what exactly is "late" as compared to early? so this is a set of wheels for a 356? the correct lugs would still have to be sourced.

k
914ghost
I dont know about hens teeth, I see those wheels often enough, price is always about the same.
Part of the reason for the price is simply that they are true EMPI products, before they sold out. People collect them just because they exist. I've only ever seen 2 Porsches with those wheels actually installed.
Its more likely that a VW guy will put a Porsche pattern disc brake on his car then run an Empi wheel! Whats the universe coming to!? unsure.gif

As for late vs early, the later ones had a flat seat for the lugnut w/ shoulder and washer that hit the wheel, the early ones were like any other VW Porsche wheel of the era, with a rounded ball seat on the wheel.
screwy.gif <----funny!

Bob O
messix
kinda ot, i have a set of eight spoke that are not ball seat. i thought these might be cheap knock offs. are they?

they don't fit hub centric on the 914 hub and are a b-tch to get true on the hub so it doesnt vibrate down the road.

nynone4
Are they two-piece? Check for nuts on the back face of the wheel (that hold the halves together). If it has the bolts - they are the original EMPI wheels - not knockoff later versions.
messix
no nuts, one piece cast.
rhodyguy
the plot thickens. dry.gif

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 30 2005, 08:21 PM)
the plot thickens. dry.gif

k

and then congeals.....

AA
Dead Air
Seems like a rip-off to me. These wheels are UGLY!!
sixnotfour
And then this;
http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/forum/show...p?t=7240&page=1
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Jul 30 2005, 09:40 PM)
And then this;
http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/forum/show...p?t=7240&page=1

those torque thrusts are my absolute favorate wheel on 911's and 914's

very rare....and quite expensive....
Porsche Rescue
Why are there threaded studs on the back if they are one piece?

I once had a 914 which came with the old 2-piece 4-lug Empis. Wanted to sell the wheels (as mentioned, VW guys want 'em) so took them to a tire shop get the tires removed. They couldn't do it. Had to separate the rims to get the tires off and on!
rhodyguy
and where are the nuts and washers? with the split rims do you have to replace a seal everytime you separate the 2 halves or run tubes in the tires? think the seals can still be found? the highlighted portion is a weld? in any case, exspensive garage wall ornaments.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.