Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear suspension and brakes install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hey guys...I'm (finally) getting caught up on editing this holiday week. The latest episode of the Bumblebee series is on the rear suspension and brakes. Hope you find it helpful.

Thanks agaiin to the gang at 914rubber @Mikey914 and PMB performance @Eric_Shea for making great stuff to keep these cars going. Links to parts in the description on YT.

This video shows new 100lb springs from 914Rubber and finishes the installation of the trailing arms with their new pivot shafts

Happy holidays!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbopaxplO5c
FlacaProductions
Fantastic - break time from a MasterClass to the 914 Master Class!
Mikey914
Nice!
Cairo94507
Another terrific, informative video that gives all of us amateurs the confidence to work on our own cars. Thanks and Happy New Year Ian. beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif
914werke
cheer.gif No shock bumper? That stepped washer looked to be actually the remains of a bumper where the rubber portion had perished & disappeared
iankarr
I thought on these bilsteins the stop is integrated, no?
914Sixer
No shock bumper needed with gas rear. There was no large washer on shock hat, #9 in diagram
Montreal914
Thank you for the nice video! smile.gif

Can't wait to watch it again, when I get to this step! smash.gif
914werke
QUOTE(iankarr @ Dec 28 2021, 01:59 PM) *
I thought on these bilsteins the stop is integrated, no?

#6 in Mark's diagram
iankarr
Thanks, Rich. i'm aware of the part...just thought that it was integrated into the design of the Bilsteins. There's no mentionn of a stop needed in the installation instructions.
iankarr
Anyone have info to add about the bump stop? Curious..
914werke
While it may be true that you probably shouldnt ever have an issue switching from oil to gas damped shocks, I still install the Koni replacement bumpers (pictured).
I was just pointing out that the stepped washer you reinstalled in the Vid was actually part of, or the remnant from the OE bumper. smile.gif
iankarr
Thanks, Rich. Those bumpers are probably a good idea...cheap insurance. I'm not sure about the origin of that washer. But the entire setup seemed to be original. I don't know why there wasn't a washer under the threaded collar, either. I just maintained the same arrangement. If the brain trust here feels that wasn't a good move, I canl def make adjustments.
914Sixer
Factory bump stop similar to this one only orange color. Washer was molded into the base. Rubber disintegrated over time, leaving only washer.
iankarr
So...I guess the washer should still be included (even without the stop) since it affects how the hat sits and the length of the rod protruding from the mount.
914Sixer
Correct on the washer, you need it even with rubber missing.
Chaznaster
Hello all. I am about to start this same job with, coincidentally, the same Biltsteins and springs. What is the recommendation - is the “supplementary spring” (I think that’s what it is called in the Haynes) needed or not? Thanks!
Steve
Confusing.. I read only the front Bilstein's have integrated stops.
Elephant shows bump stops on there rear bilstein setups.
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/914/...er-conversions/
https://www.elephantracing.com/911/coilover...ear-bump-stops/
Rear Bump Stop Option – Use existing bump stops or replace them with our progressive bump stops.
Curious has anyone used the stoddard rear bump stops? Does the pointed part point down towards the shock?
https://www.stoddard.com/91433305301.html.html
The picture makes it look like the dome part faces up. The manual shows the dome part pointed down.
The stoddard part also looks like a washer goes on the flat fat side. Where can you find the washer?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.