It's so weird.... I kinda like it.... and I'm not sure why confused24.gif

Ugly duckling syndrome screwy.gif wacko.gif
eeyore
Dooooooooood......... w00t.gif

Anybody want a PPI done on it?
Mike D.
I like the no a/c and no windows to open.... blink.gif
Mueller
it's worth a few bucks....it has an MFI equipped engine, possibly a 2.4???

remove the top, install a windscreen and I think it would look pretty cool......

i love porsche
those usually have 1600 beetle engines dont they?

first one ive seen witha 6
i think they are kind of cool looking
airsix
Wow, I just had a flashback. I was watching Cannonball Run II at a drive-in theatre in the mid 80's. The two hot/skanky (depends on your perspective) chicks stole a yellow one of those from some kid when their other car broke down.

-Ben M.
Howard
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Jul 29 2005, 09:43 AM)

Mark, go look at it if you have the time. Too bad I don't need another project biggrin.gif
Wonder what the tranny is. Describes first gear as in the 'up' position.
Fiero Chassis? No front suspension pix.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Howard @ Jul 29 2005, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Jul 29 2005, 09:43 AM)

Mark, go look at it if you have the time. Too bad I don't need another project biggrin.gif
Wonder what the tranny is. Describes first gear as in the 'up' position.
Fiero Chassis? No front suspension pix.

1st is up and its a five speed.... 915 then.....

whats an MFI motor go for....?
what a roach....
lapuwali
That was a reasonably popular kit car back in the late 70s. As I recall, the name of the kit was "Sterling". Really a hot item with me when I was 15, and I suspect lots of other 15 year olds like them (no matter how old they were biggrin.gif ).

eeyore
Scheduled to see it Monday. icon8.gif
URY914
Yep it's a Sterling.

There were a few around here. They show up at VW shows.
ArtechnikA
that does not look like a 915 to me (i could be wrong).
it could be a 901 or 914 with some kinda inverted linkage - with kits like this - all assumptions are useless!

there is no heat to the injection pump thermostat, so you'll either have a real adventure starting it cold or it'll run pig-rich hot. i have seet some cars with a "manual chike" starting enrichment system operated by cables or link rods or something - but i see no evidence of that here.

whoever painted the top of the engine painted right over the injectors...
jgullock
I built a Sterling back in the early eighties. Didn't have no stinking vw engine in it - 425 Olds Tornado.
zymurgist
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 29 2005, 09:54 AM)
there is no heat to the injection pump thermostat, so you'll either have a real adventure starting it cold or it'll run pig-rich hot. i have seet some cars with a "manual chike" starting enrichment system operated by cables or link rods or something - but i see no evidence of that here.

The PO of my 911 hooked up a button on the dash to run teh fuel pump for a couple of seconds when cold starting. Seemed like a WTF kind of arrangment, but it seems to work OK.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 29 2005, 10:54 AM)
that does not look like a 915 to me (i could be wrong).
it could be a 901 or 914 with some kinda inverted linkage - with kits like this - all assumptions are useless!

whoever painted the top of the engine painted right over the injectors...

look at the center console....looks like a choke pull to me rich ohmy.gif
ArtechnikA
i don't care if he's got an ejection seat pull on the center console - if it's not connected to the MFI thermostat, it ain't gonna do dick...

(and if you mean that thing under the radio, it looks like a brake bias knob to me - those look like brake hardline fittings.)
tdgray
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 29 2005, 03:23 PM)
i don't care if he's got an ejection seat pull on the center console

But it would be fun... rolleyes.gif

What was that you were saying honey..... weeeeee biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
I'm just imagining that baby in the 100degree San Diego rush hour traffic w/ no A.C.

Nice.

Open cockpit would be real nice. Heck, just as fun as a Jeep topless only lots better on twisties. =-))
neo914-6
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 29 2005, 08:51 AM)
it's worth a few bucks....it has an MFI equipped engine, possibly a 2.4???

remove the top, install a windscreen and I think it would look pretty cool......

agree.gif
like the Isidera's...
ClayPerrine
Take a good look of the picture with the tranny in it. This is a 70-71 911 rear end .It has 911 headers, a 911 relay board, and a 911 oil tank. It's also a 901 tranny. Probably a 4 speed from a 71 911 T. That would account for first gear being up and to the left. All they would have done was flip the ring and pinion.

Oh, and Rich is right. There is no heat going to the MFI thermostat. They even have it installed wrong. wink.gif
mightyohm
MFI runs pig rich no matter what you do. biggrin.gif
airsix
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Jul 29 2005, 12:17 PM)
MFI runs pig rich no matter what you do.   biggrin.gif

But at wide-open-throttle it's just right. wink.gif

-Ben M.
SpecialK
Those Sterling's seem like they'd be an absolute bitch to get in and out of.....and if it happens to be raining... huh.gif
J P Stein
Humm......red shroud & mfi.....worth a look to get the type number off of it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jul 29 2005, 10:38 PM)
Humm......red shroud & mfi.....worth a look to get the type number off of it.

that's what they're hoping you'll think. well - up to the 'check the type number' part. Porsche may have used red shrouds for the 911S, but they didn't paint tham *on the assembled engine* like this bozo did...

can of red Krylon is the Porsche owner's 'Type R' sticker ...
qa1142
huh.gif hate to say it, but sterlings were cooler than 914's back when I was in High School.

Good thing my tastes have improved laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.