Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Product Announcement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
My first attempt at simplifying shift linkage setup resulted in the Precision Shift Adjuster I sell.
However I've always thought that it was not a great solution to the problem.
So recently I came up with a tool that does not become a permanent part of the car.

By attaching a small support frame to the console at the transmission, an adjusting screw can be used to precisely position the linkage at the rear, so final adjustment of the lever in the cockpit is simple and repeatable.
Here's a picture of the assembly in place on a transmission console:

Click to view attachment

The kit includes what you see, plus the small drill and tap required to prepare the console for attachment.

The frame can be left in place for an extended time. It fits inside the plastic console cover. As long as the adjusting screw is removed the shift linkage will work normally.

I have ten of these ready for shipment on Monday. After that it will take a couple weeks to prepare more. The introductory price is $89.95, good thru January 2022.
If you want one, Paypal $89.95 to sales@tangerineracing.com. It will not be available on my website for a while.
jim_hoyland
Will this be compatible with your shift linkage kit ?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 2 2022, 06:50 PM) *

Will this be compatible with your shift linkage kit ?

Yes it is compatible.
jim_hoyland
Where /what is the adjusting screw referenced above ?
Rufus
@ChrisFoley … I’m in for one. PayPal sent with shipping instructions. Thanks Chris!
Ansbacher
Do you have an accompanying directions text file for this thing that you can post? It would help some of us understand better as to what it's for and how it works. Thanks.

Ansbacher
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 31 2021, 09:36 AM) *

My first attempt at simplifying shift linkage setup resulted in the Precision Shift Adjuster I sell.
So recently I came up with a tool that does not become a permanent part of the car.

By attaching a small support frame to the console at the transmission, an adjusting screw can be used to precisely position the linkage at the rear, so final adjustment of the lever in the cockpit is simple and repeatable.

Click to view attachment

The kit includes what you see, plus the small drill and tap required to prepare the console for attachment.

The frame can be left in place for an extended time. It fits inside the plastic console cover. As long as the adjusting screw is removed the shift linkage will work normally.

I have ten of these ready for shipment on Monday. After that it will take a couple weeks to prepare more. The introductory price is $89.95, good thru January 2022.
If you want one, Paypal $89.95 to sales@tangerineracing.com. It will not be available on my website for a while.

What does it actually do? Looks like just a motion stop for the linkage. Does it just lock the linkage from moving while you adjust the shifter?

I always used a bungee cord around the shifter pulling to 5th gear, with the tranny placed in 5th gear, tighten the shifter bolt and viola... works for me and is repeatable.
GregAmy
Excellent idea. I installed your precision shifter adjuster on both of my cars but always wondered if the same could be accomplished with an alignment tool I could toss in the toolbox for the next time.

No more using a Sharpie to mark the spots, I'd just use this each time!

I presume this is compatible with your shift linkage kit (also installed on both cars)?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 2 2022, 09:16 PM) *

Where /what is the adjusting screw referenced above ?

Its the one with the hex head Jim.

This is my first draft of the instructions:
Two threaded holes are required in order to mount the tool. I provide the drill and the 4mm tap. The drilling locations are easy to find on the shift console, centered on two round casting marks on the bottom flat surface.
Once the yoke is attached to the car, the procedure begins by putting the car into second gear.
The adjusting screw is then turned in until it just touches the bottom of the vertical shift rod that goes up into the gearbox.
While in gear with the adjusting screw in position, lift up the shift assembly off the screw to measure the amount of free play inside the gearbox. Then turn the adjusting screw to eliminate half of the free play.
The shifter can be returned to neutral at this point and adjustment of the shift lever performed inside the cockpit.
Loosen the clamping screw enough so the lever moves around freely, move the lever against the left side spring without any added pressure, and into the preferred fore/aft position for neutral.
Tighten the clamping screw.
Gears R, 1, 2, 3 are all available with the adjusting tool in place. All gears become available when the adjusting screw is removed. The plastic cover can be installed over the yoke attached to the console.
76-914
icon_bump.gif
burton73
Way to go Chris

Bob B piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Leave it to you Chris to always come up with something inventive.

Wish I had even a TOUGH of invention in my blood but do not!

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Dec 31 2021, 10:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.