Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many watts to actually hear car stereo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Any suggestions/been there & heard that on how much power I need to be able to hear a stereo at highway speed. Doesn't have to be super loud, just enough for music to be heard clearly.

Assume speakers that fit in 914Rubber speaker pods.

Thanks!
FlacaProductions
Check Brent's thread on what he did:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2801031
windforfun
This depends on many things. Buy the most powerful gear that you can afford & that will fit in the allocated places. Connect it directly to the battery & don't forget the Pi filters for alternator noise suppression. If using a subwoofer, make sure it's properly phased with the main speakers. Happy New Year!!!

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
914e
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 1 2022, 10:01 AM) *

Any suggestions/been there & heard that on how much power I need to be able to hear a stereo at highway speed. Doesn't have to be super loud, just enough for music to be heard clearly.

Assume speakers that fit in 914Rubber speaker pods.

Thanks!

You only need 4-5 watts, till a good song starts playing. piratenanner.gif
Looking up a 5-1/4" Infinity, the first thing I found. I have no idea if it any good.
The sensitivity is 88dB which should the dB level at at 1 meter a way with one watt of power. Car and consumer audio barely have any specs of measurement provided so take everything with a grain of salt. The 88dB is likely around 1KHz, it likely drops a large amount in the bass frequencies. Each time you double the power the level increases 3dB so 2 watts is 91dB and 4 watts is 94dB so a watt amp could drive them to a 104dB.

For reference a gas lawnmower is ofter used as an example of 90dB which is the level OSHA starts to worry.

windforfun
And remember, rms watts is a better spec than peak watts. A continuous power spec is more realistic than a peak power spec. With the top off & noisy tires, the more power the better. Older guys don't hear so well too with typically poor high frequency hearing, so don't blow the install with some cheap low power crap that won't cut the cheese. Finally, be sure that your speakers can handle the power amp's output power. Once the amp starts to clip or your speakers get overdriven, your speakers typically won't last very long at all. I've installed lots of systems in various cars & the more power the better.
Tdskip
Thanks for the responses, very helpful. Most of the hidden Bluetooth amps I am seeing are all 100+ watts plus, so should be fine for just getting some music going.

This looks interesting....

Blaupunkt AMP1804BT Car Audio 4-Channel Class D Amplifier 1600W with Bluetooth Full Range Amp
Superhawk996
Not atypical to see windnoise around 95 - 99 dB with top down on convertibles at highway speed.

You'll need more power than you think. Perception of sound is very non-linear and highly dependent of frequency.

I still intend to copy Brent's set up. That seemed like a plausible solution without a complete interiror tear up.

When I said more power . . . . I suspect 1600W would do it. laugh.gif
Shredhead
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 1 2022, 12:23 PM) *

His thread is long... can you tell me how to navigate to his discussion of the stereo?
windforfun
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 1 2022, 10:57 AM) *

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. Most of the hidden Bluetooth amps I am seeing are all 100+ watts plus, so should be fine for just getting some music going.

This looks interesting....

Blaupunkt AMP1804BT Car Audio 4-Channel Class D Amplifier 1600W with Bluetooth Full Range Amp

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

That's 10 Hz to 30 KHz & at 1,600 W rms per channel, that's WAY less than a buck per watt. A class D amp should sound okay. Don't forget about alternator noise suppression. Without it, you'll hear a variable pitch whining when you step on the gas. Also, the power spec is a little goofy. Usually, the higher the load (the less the speaker resistance), the higher the output power. This amp may have some sort of output power limiter to protect your speakers.
FlacaProductions
that link should take you right to the post starting the stereo portion of the program, no?

if not (it does for me...) try this: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2801031

QUOTE(Shredhead @ Jan 1 2022, 11:33 AM) *

His thread is long... can you tell me how to navigate to his discussion of the stereo?
Chris914n6
I currently have a JVC HU 4x20w rms and older 6.5" Pioneer shallow mount speakers in the fiberglass pods. I'll call this as 'adequate' for the tone deaf.

Hopefully before Route66 it's getting swapped out for the 6.5" Infinity Kappa from the Pathy and a SoundStream pn4.520d 4x100w rms amp.

That amp will fit under the center bin when I build it as an armrest/bin.

I'm still looking for a sub but leaning towards a self powered 8" under seat style box mounted under the dash, like the Kenwood KSC-SW11 or Infinity Basslink Mini. If you are particularly low budget BLAUPUNKT XLF200A

The sub will fit under the pass side of the dash and still allow for foot space and a center console / cubby.
DC_neun_vierzehn

Nice. Thanks for the reminder on this one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.