Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to 914World - Brought along Barn Find BB
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DBF
I found the car in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It was owned by an auto repair shop, and the shop owner bought the car from the original owner over 20 years ago when he brought it in for a clutch and to fix several oil leaks. I bought the car with "some assembly required" since he never did the repairs - it sat in his heated warehouse. The shop owner said it is all original except for undercoating and one repaint due to chips from the numerous gravel roads in northern WI and the UP, a different radio, and service items. The only rust I found was surface rust in the "hell hole" and the corresponding spot on the driver's side where debris had plugged the drain holes and trapped water (you can see the line where water sat). There is also a nickle-sized bubble on the rear bumper where the painter left a gap when they taped around the rubber pad and rust started, and a dime sized bubble on one rocker panel that started from a paint chip. There are two very small cracks on the driver's seat and one small crack on the dash. The rubber is good since it doesn't get very hot in that part of the country. The only accident is a scrape on the left front, and it damaged the rubber strip on the bumper, but the shop owner sold me a NOS replacement (along with most of the NOS parts I need to get the car back on the road). It has a COA, which verifies the engine is original. He did misplace the tool kit and front floor carpets. I sent all the info to Jeff Bowlsby for the registry, and I'm looking forward to attending some 914 events this summer where some 914 experts can tell me if it is really a survivor.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
partwerks
Nice find.
FRUNKenstein
Nice Bumblebee!! Congratulations!
billh1963
Welcome to the BB club!
JeffBowlsby
Hi Doug! Great find, its VIN 4742915379 now on the 914 Can Am Registry.

Unbeleiveable that it also stil has its factory original LE front spoiler.
Craigers17
Beautiful car, great find! Looks like it's sitting a bit high on both the front and rear???
Beach914
Nice car! Im going through things on the one i just picked up in September. Look forward to your progress posts!
dstudeba
Sweet!
Cracker
Welcome. Cool car to find like that - pretty unusual these days...

Cracker
Krieger
WOW! Great find!

welcome.png
iankarr
Agree...amazing find. Congrats and welcome! I've been making videos of my bumblebee resto which you might find helpful. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmCY...DzARyNYg4qREGtf

Please share more pics!
bkrantz
Wow!
Unpretentious
welcome.png
GBX0073
WOW
Very Nice find
something we all dream of Congrats !!!

welcome.png

QUOTE(Unpretentious @ Jan 1 2022, 10:21 PM) *

welcome.png

Freezin 914
welcome.png
I love seeing all 914’s, but really love seeing ones based in Wisconsin! Car looks great!
Geezer914
That is sweet!
mb911
Very cool. Where at in Wisconsin?
Cairo94507
Wow. Amazing that these can still be found in this condition. A major score on your part. Keep us informed as you begin to assemble/return it to road worthy condition. beerchug.gif
racer914
welcome.png
Very nice find!
rick 918-S
Very nice find! Yes where are you in WI.
TomE
Very nice. Enjoy.
ddire333
Great find smilie_pokal.gif , looks like you got a great example, wear it well
TonyA
Congratulations welcome to the LE world
robkammer
Nice find! I'm just coming up an the first anniversary of my BB delivery. We've become quite intimate. Jeff B is awesome if you need electrical support. His harnesses are better than original.
My winter list for this car is long and growing but Spring will be fun, Feel free to reach out at anytime,
Rob
Vermilion OhioClick to view attachment
DBF
Thanks for the warm welcome! This looks like the perfect forum for advice as I get the car back on the road. Ian - if you're reading this - thank you the video series - these will be extremely helpful! I have a lot of experience with air-cooled VW's and water-cooled Porsche's (944S2's and 996), but this is my first 914.

Several asked for photo updates as I bring the car back to the road, and I'll start a new post for those, as well as requests for advice.

Lastly, several WI 914 owners asked where I live, and I am from McFarland, near Madison.

Looking forward to meeting many of you at 914 events!

Doug
mb911
Cool only about an hour from me.. ironically never been to McFarland (last name is the same) but Madison many times
rick 918-S
assimilate.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.